Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 08:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331330 Posts in 13569 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The importance of gaming in a potential girl/boyfriend
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The importance of gaming in a potential girl/boyfriend  (Read 5573 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:40:32 PM »

So here's a topic of discussion for all of you.  Perhaps a somewhat potentially sensitive topic, but that's all good.  

Anyway, one thing that is universal among all humankind is relationships and the search for them through avenues like dating and all that.  So since we're on a gaming site, here's the query for discussion.  

How important is it to you that a potential girlfriend/boyfriend be into gaming?  Is it a must and that if s/he isn't into gaming that will be a dealbreaker?  Or are you willing to compromise on that?  If so/not, to what extent?  

The funny thing for me is that though I'm an editor for a video game website (I'll box your ears if you can't guess which one) and enjoy gaming immensely, the gaming factor isn't important to me in a potential girlfriend.  For me, music is the biggie.  If she doesn't at least respect my diverse tastes in music (Disney to Death Metal I like to say) and the bond between a musician and his/her musical instrument, that's going to be a sore spot.  The gaming thing, I can go here or there on; If she's not into gaming, it's cool.  If she is, then that's just icing on the cake.  Nice, but not always necessary.  But yeah, main thing is not to disrespect the stuff that I like.  

So how about all of you?  How important is gaming in a potential boyfriend/girlfriend?

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »

Lord I'm having trouble finding a nice guy so I don't give a flying flip whether he is in to gaming or not.  He will have to be understanding of my gaming though.  I don't want someone who makes fun of me or thinks I'm childish because of it.  That would go against the nice guy thing I'm looking for.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:33:09 PM »

It's not a must for me, but I would like a girl to at least be willing to try a video game out or listen to a band, with an open-minded prospective. I'm not looking for her to be into video games (specifically, RPGs) or music as obsessive as I am, but to have a general respect and understanding on these interests.

But yeah, essentially what CluelessWonder said. It's an interesting topic, though. It's thoughtful of you to bring it up, Dincrest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »

I'm honestly not into someone obsessed with games, but sure, if they enjoy the fun in one, then thats great.  Otherwise, it really doesn't matter to me, since games are actually a dying activity on me.  But if they like games, then its cool.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »

I lucked out! I honestly never thought I'd end up with a girl gamer, and therefore it was never a mental prerequisite for a girl to like games, but lo and behold, my girlfriend (first one ever!) plays games more than I do. In fact, I had to get her to beat KHII for me because I'm lazy and she had a level 99 save file . . . on my copy of the game no less. :P

Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:44:09 PM »

I don't really care if a girl plays video games or not.  The only thing regarding the topic of video games that would bother me is if they were completely close-minded on the topic... immediately dismissing as something for the immature.

(She has to like reading though damn it!)
Cowboy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »

Funny this topic comes up right after I Just find new relationship. Though still in it's infancy, I never expect a girl to have an interest in games. Though not my whole life, if she is opposed to me playing them (which I would highly doubt) then maybe it could be a bit of a issue. But hey thats what compramise is for.

Like Neal music is absolutly key. Thankfuly we enjoy the same music and she does seem open to new things. We both play an instrament and funly enough have strage affiliation to jazz (and starting a jazz band). But if she were not like that, it would be very hard for me to get closer to her. I find musical tastes can say a lot about people and if they were hard core into some genre or person that I wasn't totally into it could be very trickey.

So I gues icing on the cake is the best way to describe it.

It's really very complicated, you wouldn't understand. You aren't even twelve are you!?
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 12:15:37 AM »

I think most people like to share as many interests with their potential mates as they can, but just as long as she accepts the interests I have that she doesn't, then it would be fine if she wasn't into it.

It's funny, but I'm pretty good friends with a couple that not only met because of video games, but for writing at the same video game site I did before my current gig (you'll box my ears if I tell you which one). Now they're pretty deeply in the whole love thing and it looks like they'll have a long and happy future together. Two peas in a pod, they are.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 03:10:46 AM »

Yeah, I'm in no position to be picky :P Plus, I don't game all that much myself anymore.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 04:22:59 AM »

Frankly, moral values and intellect is probably higher on the list than an interest in video games. I would like him to be interested in video games or at least slightly more interested than I am. Mainly because it would get rather tiresome if the both of us liked RPGs a lot; I enjoy watching people playing actions games and such anyways.

Meeting "the right man" is near to impossible. Strangely enough, this topic popped up around the same time I was thinking about relationships. Marriage and related activites are natural wants for women, but the idea of living alone appeals to me if it's some place rich with nature's elements.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 05:24:02 AM »

As long as she can tolerate my geekier interests, I don't require my partner to be as into them as I am. I would be nice to have a girlfriend who is a huge game and anime/manga nut, but that would just be an added perk. There are other things that are so much more important, chief among them intelligence and humour.

But I guess that goes without saying, huh? I don't think anyone of us would want a partner who we think is stupid and boring.

So, seen in that light, maybe an interest in gaming would be crucial after all. I think that common interests are important, because you want to spend time with the one you love. Considering how much time I spend on games and anime, there aren't all that many other activities that I could see us doing together.

It's all entirely theoretical, though, as I'm not in any position to chose either :P On a similar note, I've never actually felt this desire to find a girl, settle down, and start a family. Rather, that whole concept is repulsive to me. It feel so mundande, so common. I don't want to spend my life tied down in a relationship from which I can't get away, or in which too much of my freedom is taken away. The prospect of getting kids is alien to me - I don't like kids, and I don't want to spend 18 years of my life taking care of someone else. I'm amazed by how many people of my age I see turn into adults by getting a wife, kids and a house in the suburbs. I wouldn't want to live that way - not in this stage of my life, when I'm still relatively young and there are so many things I want to do.

But maybe I'm just odd for not desiring a "normal" way of life.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 11:16:47 AM »

I started seeing someone about 4 months ago, and haven't really gamed since...so obviously it isn't a big deal to me.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
Yeah, I'm in no position to be picky :P

Same here. As long as she doesn't mind me playing video games then that will be fine.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 01:17:39 PM »

Sometimes it's possible to find a significent other that has a lot of the same interests, but even then there's still something missing from the relationship. You can share so much, but at the same time feel like there's some type of insurmountable wall that stands in the way of true inner happiness about being together as a whole. Of course this kind of feeling can be completely one-sided where one person is truly happy with everything and the other has that feeling described above.

Of course, this is simply my experience with relationships thus far. Take it with a grain of salt.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 01:45:30 PM »

The important thing for me isn't that she enjoys gaming, or has even touched a controller before, but that she's alright with me disappearing for a few days when Valkyrie Profile ships, and that I plan a little bit of my schedule around WoW raids.  While it may be nice to play some games together, I'm also very competitive and a trash talker, and if I ever have speakers on instead of headphones while I'm logged into my WoW guild's voice server it'd probably offend everyone in a several block radius (except on Rock Battle Karaoke Molten Core night, unless Harley's singing Springtime for Hitler again).

Basically, just the absence of the odd social construct wherein watching the same TV shows religiously each week is a-ok, but spending the exact same amount of time playing a video game, especially if you plan it out to play with friends, is some sort of pathetic act and you should be doing something productive.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: