Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327337 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The importance of gaming in a potential girl/boyfriend
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The importance of gaming in a potential girl/boyfriend  (Read 5492 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »

For me, it's more about respect than anything. I don't really care if you like my gaming habit, or even partake in it, just don't disrespect it, or me.

Fortunately, my wife DOES enjoy gaming, and has never thought less of me for choosing it as a hobby.
I believe, while it is good to share some interests, it is equally important to have something for yourself.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 10:55:51 PM »

I feel the same way as LoS: gaming is not a necessity, but not being a bitch about it is.

Fortunately, my girlfriend likes playing games. Not nearly as much as I do, but we play games together two or three times a week. Yesterday we finished Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and next week we'll be starting the sequel.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 01:35:39 PM »

For me it's a no-factor. I hardly play games anymore these days after all. And since I spend more than enough time writing about them anyways, I don't mind to talk about something other than games with a girl.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 12:56:16 AM »

If video games were the only way in which I could communicate with a particular girl, then I suppose it's a requirement.  Relationships usually start on a crutch, but hey, if the whole thing's made of legos, at least it's worth a laugh.

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 05:58:27 AM »

Well, I just married a gamer/anime girl last week, so I guess I find it important. I've had relationships in the past that didn't have that aspect in common, but they were all doomed to failure pretty much because there wasn't enough in common between us. Since gaming is a pretty important part of my life and necessary to understand me, it's important to me. I lucked out, surely.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 11:15:54 AM »

Hey congrats on your marriage!

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »

Dude, your wedding was the bomb.  Having the organist play Final Fantasy music had me goofily grinning from ear to ear... well that and Pat/Ramza making funny faces at me.  Gitaroo Man and Jet Grind Radio music at the reception was hot too.

I approve of this nonsense!
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »

I recently broke up with my fiance, and have just started dating again.  While to me I could care less if my girlfriend likes my hobbies, all I ask is she doesn't give me grief over them.  I respect other peoples hobbies whether I like them or not, so I figure it's not much to ask for the same.

I have a pretty broad taste in games, so almost every girlfriend I've had has grabbed something off my cabinet saying they love that game.

Dating again... while I don't mind being single, I could do without some of the headaches of dating... I met a bit of a whackjob the other night... ha

Finding a good woman's not easy either... eesh...

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Nallo

superwilton
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 02:10:18 AM »

I'd rather her not like games. That'd mean less time for me to, you know, do stuff to her.
Sarcasmorator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 02:13:19 AM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
On a similar note, I've never actually felt this desire to find a girl, settle down, and start a family. Rather, that whole concept is repulsive to me. It feel so mundande, so common.

Not really trying to rag on you or anything, but that sounds SO pretentious.

Damien: Congratulations! Welcome to the club. Your number is 778364838.

My wife plays games a lot less than I do, and tends toward puzzle games like "Zuma" and "Dr. Mario," and team-based games like 'Mario Party." But she fully tolerates my playing, especially since I do some paying work. It wouldn't have been terribly important if she hadn't been a gamer to some degree, but if she couldn't have accepted it as my hobby and been willing to hear me drone on about it, things would've been tougher.

So long, Scorpex!
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »

Thanks for the congrats, guys and gals. Yeah, being married is good stuff, especially since I get to see Christine every day now, rather than just on weekends.

Never thought I'd acquire so much STUFF though. No place to put it all.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Sarcasmorator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 05:27:44 PM »

Quote from: "Sensei Phoenix"
Never thought I'd acquire so much STUFF though. No place to put it all.

Oh, yeah. Hear ya there.

So long, Scorpex!
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 05:29:24 PM »

yes, I do believe it will be an important factor for me when the time comes for me to choose a mate. I practicaly raised myself on video games when I was a little girl since my parents worked endlessly and I have no siblings, and i definatly developed a passion for them.

Although, there are definatly more things I would look for in a partner than just a liking in video games, like wanting to travel around the world with me, can cook up wonderful dishes with me, can tolerate my taste in music and let me play my cds in the car and would make a great father someday.

back on the topic of liking video games, it would definatly be something that we shared an equal liking for and can share as a hobby together when were not travelling around the world and all that other fun stuff. Im not willing to change my needs and wants around for any man, and until I find the one where I dont have to to try to feel a connection with, then ill wait forever.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »

My wife is wildly supportive of everything I do, which is a nice ego boost. She is always saying "I'm gonna play an RPG one of these days" -- hasn't happened yet.

On the positive side, she just wrote a soundtrack review. And she might be playing Dark Cloud 2 soon.

Ramza

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: