Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319776 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  One game you'd want Next-Gen Remake?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: One game you'd want Next-Gen Remake?  (Read 8113 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »

Yggdrasil- Completely valid and understood.  However, this thread is a wishful thinking thread for all intents and purposes, and thus I'm allowed some wishful thinking, right?  And, yes, Sega's history of bad business decisions extends way back to the 8-bit days.  And yes again, I know I'm more likely to see Tokimeki Memorial in English than PDS resurrected.  However, since this is a wishful thinking thread, I indulge.

As far as Andromeda goes, I believe some of their members formed SmileBit who gave us Jet Grind Radio on Dreamcast.  That was one stylin' game.

I approve of this nonsense!
lordyuanshu
Walkthrough FAQ Guides

TecmoSuperBowl
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »

Suikoden Tierkreis is the easiest game in battle that I have ever played in my life

The previous 5 games weren't exactly Ninja Gaiden, either.  Complaining about a Suikoden game being easy is like complaining that a Mario game has too much jumping in it.

To a certain extent I agree. As a whole, they are easy. But the previous games have some challenging moments at least.

Suikoden I, you're probably going to die a few times against Neclord. Shasarazade is pretty tough with that Seashell creature boss and then having to fight Sonja Shulen immediately after. There's also trying to save Pahn which is really difficult even if you know what you're doing and max him out ahead of time, and some of the duels (like against Teo) can be difficult.

Suikoden II has the Luca battle which is damn tough. Re-taking Greenhill also means you have to take out Yuber's skeleton dragon which isn't easy. The main boss in Suikoden II isn't a breeze either, at least early on in the fight.

Suikoden III we have all the 'optional' fights that are super tough vs. the Masked Bishop, Sarah, Yuber, etc. Not to mention the other optional fights (Geddoe Chapter 1 vs. the Zexens, Hugo Chapter 1 vs. the Zexens, etc).

Suikoden V is super easy; too simple to create an all-powerful group. That was disappointing to what was otherwise a decent game.  Suikoden IV I don't remember as well but I know those treasure bosses (Angel Hairballs) were a bitch.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of spots above, but I know I'm not forgetting anything about Tierkreis. There was no challenge, even the One King was underwhelming for me the first time through.  And unfortunately it's just a microcosm of what I see from modern RPG's and why I don't want to see the people who make modern RPG's try to 'remake' one of the classics. I don't know, developers are scared to make a game where you like actually die in fear of turning off these sally 21st century gamers :P (ATLUS I will give some credit to though they are almost on the other end where it's sickly difficult at times, but I'll damn sure take that and have to work to complete the game).

Not trying to derail the thread or send people saying "you're wrong, this modern game is tough! Or this classic game is easy!". Just trying to use Suikoden as an example to prove a point that there once was challenge, even for an 'easier' series

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »

Suikoden IV was pretty easy partly due to the large encounter rate causing it to be almost impossible to be under leveled. (A highly underrated game by Suikoden fans. Non Suikoden fans were right that it was not a great rpg or even close but the series fans were way too harsh on it).  Its sequel Tactics had its moments of difficulties. But that is a SRPG

I thought that one on one duels would have helped Tierkries immensely. That and slightly less unwinnable battles.

Overall I found Tierkreis a decent rpg but a poor Suikoden.

On topic one game that I might enjoy being released would be a compilation of the first Atelier series from just.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »

Yggdrasil- Completely valid and understood.  However, this thread is a wishful thinking thread for all intents and purposes, and thus I'm allowed some wishful thinking, right?

Yeah, if something like that's going to be shot down, one of the RPGs that genuinely needs a remake, then this thread's practically pointless.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »

There are two games I've been dying for a remake of:  Earthbound and Secret of Mana

Be careful what you wish for! I too would love a Secret of Mana game, but I vividly remember how excited that Final Fantasy Adventure was being remade...and how HORRIBLE it was. Sword of Mana pretty much made a simplistic game into this moral angstfest full of villians and heroes who were morally gray...and then they talked about it NONSTOP. Don't get me started on the extra Malvole storyline they shoehorned in.

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh. :|

Not to mention all the gameplay mechanics from all of the previous games up to that point that they shoehorned in there making sure that none of them worked at all with each other. They ultimately added 200+ to 300+ hours of grinding to a now 10 hour (if that) game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »

phantasy star 4. maybe 3 too since 1 and 2 already have next gen remakes....

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »

Xenogears, to at least play the second disc.

That or a KOTOR style remake of Pools of Radiance.

And no, fuck random encounters on ships.

It sucked in Suikoden IV and it sucked in Skies of Arcadia.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 03:49:48 AM »

Xenogears, to at least play the second disc. 

You know, I usually reject remakes that start messing around with the plot/structure of the original game out of principle, but a Xenogears remake in which they actually finished making the game?  I'd play that!

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 07:08:34 AM »

As much as I'd like to see them do something with a Final Fantasy VII remake, I'd have to go with Terranigma.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »

A growlanser vi remake wouldnt be so bad
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »

A growlanser vi remake wouldnt be so bad

A remake of a PS2 game. Meh. I would rather have a remake of Bahamut Lagoon.

Speaking of which, I would like to have a remake of Bahamut Lagoon.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
omanga42

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »

You can play bahamuts lagoon completely in english at least. Although I agree if they remade it and released it in america legally that would be cool.

I suggested a growlanser vi remake for the psp with the dim hope of playing it in english
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:19:49 AM by omanga42 » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »

Xenogears. Make the game like it was supposed to be and with current gen graphics. I'd pay a lot for that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »

7th Saga.

Just to hear some complaints.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »

It's funny that I welcomed the second disc of Xenogears with open arms, because the game had proved so frustrating already that I didn't care for the gameplay that much anymore. :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: