Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2016, 01:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248236 Posts in 7439 Topics by 2389 Members
Latest Member: FenixDrakken
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PS4 or Vita?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: PS4 or Vita?  (Read 3299 times)
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 04:07:10 AM »

Nights of Azure sequel now on both... that was one of....

*Godzilla Rage*

*Sigh*

You know... I guess really the answer in this long tortured process, has simply been "both." And there just wasn't any way around that, I guess.

That said.... I don't know... I'm kind of thinking the Vita has a brighter future, perhaps.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2016, 12:07:12 PM »

*Godzilla Rage*

*Sigh*

You know... I guess really the answer in this long tortured process, has simply been "both." And there just wasn't any way around that, I guess.

That said.... I don't know... I'm kind of thinking the Vita has a brighter future, perhaps.

PS4. Vita's already long in the tooth and Sony's never held more than a passing interest in the handheld market to begin with, plus while PS4 games can be scaled down to Vita tech levels, Vita cannot possibly scale up to PS4 tech levels.

Also, none of those character designs look that good (blonde's okay and brunette's ehh, but red's not even wearing a quarter of a costume and if they're doing transformations again, its only gonna get worse).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »

*Godzilla Rage*

*Sigh*

PS4. Vita's already long in the tooth and Sony's never held more than a passing interest in the handheld market to begin with, plus while PS4 games can be scaled down to Vita tech levels, Vita cannot possibly scale up to PS4 tech levels.

Also, none of those character designs look that good (blonde's okay and brunette's ehh, but red's not even wearing a quarter of a costume and if they're doing transformations again, its only gonna get worse).

OLED
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »

*Godzilla Rage*

*Sigh*

OLED

Only if you're lucky enough to chance upon a first generation model

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »

*Godzilla Rage*

*Sigh*

OLED

I was speaking from a development standpoint. Any multiplatform title will need to be adapted to accommodate the hardware/OS quirks of that platform, and the specs of any version of the Vita are easily and noticeably lower than any version of the PS4.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »

*Godzilla Rage*

*Sigh*

OLED

I was speaking from a development standpoint. Any multiplatform title will need to be adapted to accommodate the hardware/OS quirks of that platform, and the specs of any version of the Vita are easily and noticeably lower than any version of the PS4.

From my understand, it's not much harder to develop for than say the 3DS or most systems... if it were the Saturn or something... sure it's extra time and energy but it sounds like they managed to make a unique system that isn't so unique it becomes impenetrable.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:13:23 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2016, 03:21:36 AM »

Ok this is my technical understanding...

The PS4 is basically like a harder top speed but isn't integrated as tightly as the Vita, the PS4 is basically just reflecting, a big collapse of Sony in  a large strain of the PC-ification of the gaming industry. It's essentially just a PC, and so it doesn't do what consoles have done more effectively than the PC which is to have integrated components.

The Vita does have this, in addition, it has the OLED screen and other novelties that make it technologically superior IMO, not in all respects, a clock speed is a clock speed, ram is ram, and all that, but it seems to be the way it was built it was like a panzer tank but with guns pointing every direction, and not necessarily fewer weapons all pointing in the right direction.

As far as I can tell, load times, basics of functions, on and off, all those elements are faster on the Vita, furthermore, games that take full advantage of the OLED screen look pretty amazing.

On the PS4 side, yes, there are a handful of interesting PS4 exclusives, but I think those cater primarily to established demographics and such. Maybe FFXV is the first FF for someone, but it certainly isn't my first FF, and consequently I would just be there to enjoy something I already kind of know and like, not necessarily to go deeper into it.

Moreover, at this point, almost every other major console exclusive is being ported to the PC, including as I mentioned in the other thread, Nier 2, etc.

So in short, The PS4 and Xbone are simply, machine wise, and also with respect to the games, have become part of the larger PC umbrella, there isn't much to be gained from owning one aside from, as I said, support for particular franchises (which is fine and dandy).

Moreover, those franchises tend to be more established, and while of course can be quite fun, I don't think for instance, something like FFXV is quite as unique or interesting an RPG series as perhaps a Ragnarock Odyssey (not really a Monster Hunter fan, myself)

But the Vita, I think alludes to the point when gaming is about making unique technological progress and stuff, so consequently, I'd say it's in much better shape.

Anyway, I don't think any hardcore Sony or RPG fan can go wrong, it's basically like Genesis 2.0, or Dreamcast 3.0, it's the good system that really is good that never catches on with the greater group because raisins.

Now, as to getting one now, it's a bit tricker, as you say, the support has dropped off, but I've heard that's because they feel 3rd parties are adequately supporting the system.

I think the reason for the Vita's struggles is, quite simply, the 3DS. That is to say, most people have just adopted the 3DS over the Vita, so it's not really, mobile, or whatever that's causing the problems, it's just that the 3DS has been a super impressive system. '

Final edit: I think ultimately the true answer is simply... 3ds... lol
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:42:58 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2016, 02:15:04 AM »

WAIT SAGA SCARLET GRACE IS FOR THE VITA ZOMG SAGA SERIES OMGOMGOMGOG!

Wow...

If people actually knew what the Saga series was that's a killer app right there.

Edit: Ok, so Saga series... been released on phones...

Right.. I see what happened here.

While regular old Hollywood executives etc, whatever, blah blah, they largely kind of absorbed the console gaming industry, the stuff on the fringe was ultimately co-opted by the phone companies.

The iPhone etc, ultimately was just a copy and through the iOS systems having quality games released they ensured that they were taking the place of all that.

So yeah, the mobile phones basically are kind of collpasing that whole market, that's really it, it's all about the mobile phones.

Not because of mobile games mind you, it's primarily the quality games that are driving all this, perhaps by a SQenix or whatever, it's just they opted to occur on these systems.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:16:32 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: