Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« Reply #480 on: January 12, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
I actually don't like Super Mario World. Something's off about Mario's physics(?) when he jumps and lands that constantly bugs me. I also don't like a lot of the levels, especially on the first world, it throws way too much at you for what's supposed to be the beginning of the game. Seriously, they don't give you a moment to breath and figure out how to play! In fact, a lot of the game feels like they're expecting more outside knowledge in order to progress than you reasonably could without a guide. It's frustrating, and just reminds me that they only got away with it because "It was Mario!" I also didn't like how you could only save at the end of each world, but I guess it's better than having to play the whole thing in one go, right, Super Mario Bros. 3?!?!?! Ugh...honestly, my favorite 2D Mario games are the classic original SMB, and Super Mario Bros. U, the latter is due to how utterly refined it is. I honestly could not come up with a single complaint - not even a petty one. Not saying it'll light the world on fire, but they still put time and care into it.

I still prefer every single 3D Mario platformer over the 2D ones, though. Even the non-explore-y kinds. They're just...more fun for me, at the end of the day.

I had no problem playing SMW on a Walmart SuperNES kiosk back in 1990. That said, SMW was kinda easy and short for a Super Mario game.

but on the other hand, for the longest time, this was the only point in the main series where Princess Peach/Toadstool was playable (and hella broken to boot).

Another thing I liked about SMB2 was that it also gave Luigi his own identity.  Different physique than Mario, different skillset, and (by proxy) his own personality.

Yes, SMB2 and SMUSA really helped cement Luigi's play style.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:17:49 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:19 PM »
Yeah I don't know how you get challenging out of SMW Micky, it's definely one of the easier Super Marios.

Super Mario 64 was pretty nice as well I thought.

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27:54 PM »
Yeah I don't know how you get challenging out of SMW Micky, it's definely one of the easier Super Marios.

People keep telling me that, but I don't see it. The game has a tendancy to bombard you with new things rather than ease you into it, and again, Mario always feels "off" to me. However, I never grew up with Mario games, outside of Paper Mario, and honestly, I feel like that's the most important thing I'm missing that's preventing me from joining the cult of Mario.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
New Super Mario Bros. Wii is pretty awesome.  Great party game if your friends now how to handle being annoyed.
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV, FTL: Faster Than Light

glassjawsh

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #484 on: January 13, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »
...............................................................................must.....resist......obvious.....joke.....easy.....setup.......hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.....

they're your friends so of course they're alright with being annoyed... I'm so sorry Arvis. You're the best I promise.

smokes cigarette of shame and lazy comedy.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:23:37 AM by glassjawsh »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 13, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV, FTL: Faster Than Light

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 13, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »
New Super Mario Bros. Wii is pretty awesome.  Great party game if your friends now how to handle being annoyed.

Buuuut it's not as great on your own, and I got annoyed by the areas that clearly required a second player, so I dropped it like a rock, and I'm not looking back.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 15, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »

People keep telling me that, but I don't see it. The game has a tendancy to bombard you with new things rather than ease you into it, and again, Mario always feels "off" to me. However, I never grew up with Mario games, outside of Paper Mario, and honestly, I feel like that's the most important thing I'm missing that's preventing me from joining the cult of Mario.

Well on the contrary I think Paper Mario is kind of the lame Mario series to be honest...

I think Mario is just Mario if you don't like it it doesn't matter what you game you play, you won't really get into it, whereas if you are a Mario fan almost any of the Mario games will work well enough.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #488 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

As for unpopular opinion... I think the English opening music for Shining Force EXA is better than the Japanese, though both are solid and both have their best parts at around the 55 second mark.  (Yeah, the game itself was poorly received but this is going against the popular "weaboo" opinion that everything Japanese is superior.  Heck, I actually prefer the English dub of Cowboy Bebop to the Japanese.)

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snv9zQ-muBM

Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8TNJhgkSOM

In a similar vein, I prefer the English opening theme song to the Pokemon anime (first opening theme) over the Japanese. 

Japanese: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQcOiFilCk

English (you all know this one. If not, you had no childhood): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qyXTgqJtoGM

"Are we gonna do anything fun?  Or are you just gonna stand there with your thumb up your butt?"  -an outtake from Kyleen Nelphe (Thousand Arms)

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »

Well on the contrary I think Paper Mario is kind of the lame Mario series to be honest...

I think Mario is just Mario if you don't like it it doesn't matter what you game you play, you won't really get into it, whereas if you are a Mario fan almost any of the Mario games will work well enough.

I can see that last part being true, since that's how I am with Sonic, but...I like certain Mario games, I just dislike a lot of the 2D entries. I actually notice quite a few differences from game to game. I'm not a big enough fan to overlook the problems of certain entries just because its Mario, but the ones I've enjoyed I love the heck out of, whether its a main game or a Spin-off. I guess you could say my relationship is love-or-hate with this particular series. Same with Kirby, although there's a lot more misses there for me. Outside of Epic Yarn and Mass Attack, I prefer the more traditional Kirby games. I rarely get into his more...creative entries, which I feel is a crying shame.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 22, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
I've probably said this before but I think Dawn of Ys' chiptunes are awesome and I /generally/ prefer them to the Redbook side of the OST.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`