Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2015, 11:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349688 Posts in 14266 Topics by 2246 Members
Latest Member: ksunstar
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 872781 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14280 on: March 30, 2015, 03:50:57 AM »

Well, that was fast. A friend asked me to take part in a panel and we're doing introductions through e-mail. Two mails in and I've already insulted someone. Guy want to spend 10-15 minutes of the hour we have discussing the finer points of how to get Japanese PC games to work on European systems (the panel is actually about visual novels/dating sims as a genre). I told him that's not a very good idea, because while useful that information is unlikely to stay with the people listening unless they're avid note takers.* Then he got upset because apparently he's been working on that for three months and I should let him do what he wants because I hurt his feelings. Ugh, I hate super fans. Emotional blackmail, too.

*See, I was being nice! What I wanted to say was more along the lines of: 'At most two other people in the audience will be interested in how you get your foreign fap material to run on your PC, how about you share your secrets discreetly?'
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14281 on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »

Vacation in Florida. I'm pretty sure I saw what looked liked the entire alpha beta fraternity from revenge of the nerds.  The central coast of this state feels like a wildlife preserve for 1980s movie bad guy tropes

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14282 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

Vacation in Florida. I'm pretty sure I saw what looked liked the entire alpha beta fraternity from revenge of the nerds.  The central coast of this state feels like a wildlife preserve for 1980s movie bad guy tropes

What is a central coast and how does that even work?
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14283 on: March 30, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »

When I played Battletoads, I never got past the hoverbike level.

Me neither. Until I got the NES Advantage, and abused the "slow motion" capability. 'Twas for naught, though. I don't recall getting very far in the following level, anyway...
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14284 on: March 30, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »

When I played Battletoads, I never got past the hoverbike level.

Pfft.  I did.  ...with Game Genie.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14285 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »

Well, that was fast. A friend asked me to take part in a panel and we're doing introductions through e-mail. Two mails in and I've already insulted someone. Guy want to spend 10-15 minutes of the hour we have discussing the finer points of how to get Japanese PC games to work on European systems (the panel is actually about visual novels/dating sims as a genre). I told him that's not a very good idea, because while useful that information is unlikely to stay with the people listening unless they're avid note takers.* Then he got upset because apparently he's been working on that for three months and I should let him do what he wants because I hurt his feelings. Ugh, I hate super fans. Emotional blackmail, too.

*See, I was being nice! What I wanted to say was more along the lines of: 'At most two other people in the audience will be interested in how you get your foreign fap material to run on your PC, how about you share your secrets discreetly?'

You... just install applocale and run them through that. And running them through AppLocale is literally just open AppLocale and select thing you want to run with it. How would that take 15 minutes to explain, let alone take /three months/ to come up with? Also I think you only need to do that if the source thing uses shift-jis encoding instead of unicode or some bitmap, anyway.

Like I figured this out /on my own/ in a very short period of time when Lunatic Dawn hit steam, and I'm not particularly lucid even.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14286 on: March 30, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »

The more people I talk to, the more I'm hearing about cancer affecting people and/or their loved ones.  Gives me even more incentive to do the ACS bike-a-thon this summer with my coworker (who's a cancer survivor.)

I have signed up for 2 bike-a-thons already (ACS and Diabetes tour de cure) and am planning to sign up for two more this year. 

My bike-a-thon schedule:

1) Diabetes Tour-de-Cure, June 2015 (in my sig)

2) ACS Philly bike a thon with a coworker (http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/CommunityFundraisingPages/CFPCY15EC?px=39094552&pg=personal&fr_id=68997)

3) There's an autism ride I want to do in September, since my day job is in special education http://clc-ajf.donorpages.com/AJFRide4Autism2015/

4) I did this Parkinsons ride last year and want to do it again. http://www.shakeitoff4pd.org/pd500-rock-n-roll-bike-ride.html

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14287 on: Today at 03:39:08 AM »

You... just install applocale and run them through that. And running them through AppLocale is literally just open AppLocale and select thing you want to run with it. How would that take 15 minutes to explain, let alone take /three months/ to come up with? Also I think you only need to do that if the source thing uses shift-jis encoding instead of unicode or some bitmap, anyway.

Like I figured this out /on my own/ in a very short period of time when Lunatic Dawn hit steam, and I'm not particularly lucid even.

From what I gathered this guy imports physical releases (stuff they sell and Comiket and such) and not just the more recent ones. Apparently you need to do things like run Japanese editions of older operating systems to make those work. He thinks this will be interesting for the audience at the convention because people online ask him how to do this stuff all the time.

It's, eh, very specific. But, since it's important to him, he assumes it's important to everyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: