Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2016, 04:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
241755 Posts in 7238 Topics by 2376 Members
Latest Member: Cody2Go
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Should a game ever have auto battles?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Should a game ever have auto battles?  (Read 326 times)
missRPGirl
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »

I thought about mentioning FFXII with their gambit system but I still felt involved in the battle system than most games.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:12 AM »

I thought about mentioning FFXII with their gambit system but I still felt involved in the battle system than most games.

Yazma...
Make gambits and leave the game on for 12 hours or so.
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »

The problem with FFXII is that it offers options that just aren't viable. I once tried to play the entire game with battles set to Active Mode, but it just isn't viable in situations where you need to heal quickly.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »

The problem with FFXII is that it offers options that just aren't viable. I once tried to play the entire game with battles set to Active Mode, but it just isn't viable in situations where you need to heal quickly.

That's because of the priority set upon queried actions, as since at least X-2, every action has an invisible secondary timer attached to it, excepting the basic Attack Command, and the developers know of this, and abuse the fucking shit out of it by designing bosses that put up some kind of basic attack pailing/immunity, overload the query/freezing all secondary timers, then proceeds to grab your player character by the hair and slowly punch your utterly helpless face in. The primary strategy for dealing with Zodiark in XII is to Mist Knack your way through the last 30% of its health bar or else you basically all but lose outright.

FFXII was a weird game where the Gambits can be really fucking powerful, but because the rest of the game is so heavily balanced against the player that they become almost completely necessary to do anything.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: