Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2016, 04:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
244665 Posts in 7321 Topics by 2386 Members
Latest Member: Richard111
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games  (Read 29461 times)
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2016, 04:57:31 PM »

Also can't say I'm the biggest Pokemon Fan, I did play Red/Blue and even Yellow, but yeah it felt like to me so much collecting and arduousness ultimately without kind of a sense of fun to accompany it, once again understand there are lots of fans and all that but once again just yeah couldn't get into it.

Also can't say I'm the biggest Souls series fan, I did play Demon Sols, and yet uh, kind with the theme just a lot of very patient stat building and all that for a very long time. I'm sure people will have different things to say about the difficultly and all that but it's not really purely based on that like the style and all that and so on just wasn't appealing, it was a number of factors in essence. From what I've seen, Dark Souls and the others are fairly similar, so yeah, not much interest just never really appealed.

Also, I'm not interested in most well, to be honest, most "movies" today I think somewhere in the 80s/90s were when of the movies I liked to watch primarily were but over time I gradually lost interest. Starting with 2010 I basically just haven't seen hardly any maybe like 1 at most. I'm afraid some of the worst offenders are some of the comic movies which for whatever reason just never really appealed, I guess perhaps it felt like some of the earlier ones like X2 at least seemed somewhat truer to the comic spirit. Stuff like Deadpool is kind of at the height of it, just no appeal to me whatsoever.

Finally, I would pick on social media and the concepts of just kind of those quick shows or brief twitter like interjections just the whole experience has never really appealed for the most part. I don't shun social media in the entirely but things like random youtubes or trending things, hashtags, etc, it's kind yeah once again just not really super into it. On the other hand I am into random videos or documentaries and things, and maybe even a few here and there, but overall yeah just not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:12:05 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: April 21, 2016, 11:30:32 PM »

Wasn't sure where to put this, and here seemed like the best place even though its certainly not exclusive to games and doesn't really have anything to do with a specific game. But after I quickly jumped in and out of the Zero Escape thread, I felt like vocalizing this opinion, but elsewhere so it didn't come across as antagonistic or directed at anyone in particular:

I don't understand the fun people have of trying to dig out details of plot twists and spoilers, basically trying to solve a game or movie or whatever's mystery before the game/movie/whatever has given out all the clues. Even when a TV show teases that someone is going to die, I don't like participating in the discussion of who it might be. Eventually you're going to run through all the possibilities and then the surprise will mean that much less.

And sure, if whatever doesn't manage to surprise you and allowed you to figure out the mystery on your own, you could blame the story for not making enough of an effort to be surprsing, but I still feel like going through the exercise is just a guarantee that you won't get the same enjoyment as just going along for the ride. And I realize this makes it sound like I don't like mysteries, but its quite the opposite. I love anything with good twists and mysteries and "mind fuckery" as I mentioned in the game journal, I just personally feel like part of my enjoyment of that kind of story is to just let it do its thing and not try to interfere by analyzing and theorycraft every detail.

Anyway, that's my unpopular opinion for the evening.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2016, 12:10:05 AM »

And then the flipside of that is people what be all

"Oh noooooo, now that this thing finally came out, it's violating all of the headcanons I came up with for no good reason based on pre-release stuff! WHY MUST THESE WRITERS BETRAY ME SO."

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »

And then the flipside of that is people what be all

"Oh noooooo, now that this thing finally came out, it's violating all of the headcanons I came up with for no good reason based on pre-release stuff! WHY MUST THESE WRITERS BETRAY ME SO."

It's the criminal self-absorbtion of our generation, man!  If you're not angry about SOMETHING, you must be living life wrong.

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: April 22, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »

I think age is part of it too.  Like I know that in my 20s I was punchier, more reactive, more of a hardliner and more of an opinionated jackhole.  This was quite evident in how I helped moderate the forums back in the day.  I've actually mellowed out in my 30s and am now more likely to laugh along with the peanut gallery than to shut them down.  Life's too short and precious to waste it being hateful.  

As for spoilers and speculation, I remember back when page 396 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was spoiled everywhere.  I hadn't read the book yet, but I didn't feel any righteous indignation.  Although I knew the who and what of the spoiler, it made me more interested in finding out the when, where, how, and why.  And that's how I've been approaching reading since- get excited for the journey, not the destination.  

Unpopular opinion time- I thought book 7 of Harry Potter was terrible.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 books, but I thought book 7 was an absolute slog to read.  Okay, the last 1/3 of it was solid, but the end felt like Rowling was desperately trying to suddenly write herself out of a corner.  And I will admit, Aberforth's story was good and I liked how Dudley actually developed a little bit.  Maybe there is a shred of hope for Dudders.  

I don't know if I shared this in the thread, but even though I love progressive metal music, I could never get into Dream Theater.  EDIT: I also think guitarist John Petrucci's guitar tone was better when he used Ibanez guitars over his current MusicMan guitars.  In the realm of prog metal Symphony X >>>>> Dream Theater for me.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:18:51 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: April 22, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »

I think age is part of it too.  Like I know that in my 20s I was punchier, more reactive, more of a hardliner and more of an opinionated jackhole.  This was quite evident in how I helped moderate the forums back in the day.  I've actually mellowed out in my 30s and am now more likely to laugh along with the peanut gallery than to shut them down.  Life's too short and precious to waste it being hateful. 

As for spoilers and speculation, I remember back when page 396 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was spoiled everywhere.  I hadn't read the book yet, but I didn't feel any righteous indignation.  Although I knew the who and what of the spoiler, it made me more interested in finding out the when, where, how, and why.  And that's how I've been approaching reading since- get excited for the journey, not the destination. 

Unpopular opinion time- I thought book 7 of Harry Potter was terrible.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 books, but I thought book 7 was an absolute slog to read.  Okay, the last 1/3 of it was solid, but the end felt like Rowling was desperately trying to suddenly write herself out of a corner.  And I will admit, Aberforth's story was good and I liked how Dudley actually developed a little bit.  Maybe there is a shred of hope for Dudders. 

I don't know if I shared this in the thread, but even though I love progressive metal music, I could never get into Dream Theater.  I love Symphony X, though.  Symphony X >>> Dream Theater.

Seconding the HP opinion in a way, 7 was not my favorite... I think the highpoint of HP was 3-4, where it had the magic and charm of 1/2 with some of the stark emotion of 5/6 etc. 

There was a brief flare up of that spirit in 6 for whatever reason, but it was more of an oasis.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »

Skyward Sword was good, the Sword Slashing motion control was the best part of it.

Also I thought Fi was better than Navi.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:01:29 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »

I feel that Tokyo Mirage Sessions, while competent mechanically, has nothing to say about anything.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »

I feel that Tokyo Mirage Sessions, while competent mechanically, has nothing to say about anything.

...and perhaps, in that, it says the most important thing of all.

Probably not.

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: July 20, 2016, 06:58:34 PM »

That was my impression of it as well. Although, the one dungeon I had the patience to sit through during the initial JP stream, and which turned me off of the game, ended up getting changed in the localization, so my opinion was probably not as well founded as I'd like to say it was (then again, they actually changed the plot of a dungeon during localization, which doesn't really speak well of the game's initial writing).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: July 24, 2016, 12:25:21 AM »

Hm I got another one I think the M&L series is basically just as good and worthy as SMRPG.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: July 24, 2016, 02:00:07 AM »

Hm I got another one I think the M&L series is basically just as good and worthy as SMRPG.

That's not an unpopular opinion.

*states that OG Paper Mario is the only good Paper Mario*

Now that's an unpopular opinion.

/ParaphrasingCrocodileDundee

Because seriously, Thousand Year Door is dull, overrated and suffers from way too much backtracking.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #432 on: July 24, 2016, 02:06:02 AM »

I like Thousand Year Door but I think the original game is much funnier.

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2016, 03:13:38 AM »

Hm, well I didn't think there enough fans of the original SMRPG kind of around to fight that fight per se... I think SMRG was really quite good though, it wasn't an easy transition for me in many ways, but yeah M&L and it's iterations have really done a lot of things so very well.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: