Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 08, 2016, 05:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
376990 Posts in 15092 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 1186447 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16245 on: February 06, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »

I say this every year around this time: America needs to make the Monday after Super Bowl a national holiday.  With all the late night partying and all people do, we're all too freaking dead to get up and go to work Monday morning.  Plus it's winter and who wouldn't want another day off in winter to just stay home under the covers?  And even if you don't like gridiron, would you say no to a day off? 

Why isn't post-Super Bowl Monday holiday a thing yet?
I think the REAL question here is why is the Super Bowl still on a sunday instead of a saturday?

TASTY!
glassjawsh

has never been involved in a land war in Asia

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16246 on: February 06, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »

that's actually a really good question...

The only thing I can think of is maybe brand confusion (can't you just imagine a bunch of yokels getting butt hurt about a sportsball game being on the "wrong" day?).  I thought maybe it could be because of the deal the TV networks have with each other where 99% of college football games are on a not-Sunday during pro football season and 99% of pro football games are on a not-Saturday during college football season, but college football is over so that wouldn't make sense.

edit: the fact that this kind of corporate gerrymandering is more interesting to me than the games themselves goes a long way towards explaining why I've watched all of 2 quarters of the NFL in the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:26:01 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16247 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »

Some fucking twat backed into my car last night, whole right side of my fender is now broken off and floating....

Car's 7 months old.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16248 on: February 06, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »

Typical television landscape, mostly. Saturday night is where TV shows go to die.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16249 on: February 06, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

They need a car that will zap unauthorized entries.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16250 on: February 06, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »

I too think that Saturday night is a television dead zone since that's when people typically go out and do stuff, whether it's partying, clubbing, bar-hopping, going to movies, going to dinner, going on dates, going to shows/concerts, etc. 

But given how late the Super Bowl runs, how drunk and partied out everyone is from it, etc. is it really worth it to have a workday the next day?  It's pretty much a waste if everyone's too hungover to be productive.  And even those who aren't fans of sportsball (go Piggers!) certainly wouldn't object to a day off.  The US government needs to make post-Super Bowl Monday a holiday.  That, and eradicate all the Canadian geese.  (Yes, I know there are bigger and more important issues out there we could be discussing like education and foreign policy, but let me have some fun.  Besides, Canadian geese could be spun as a massive environmental hazard anyway, right?)

And one day, cars will have cameras and other such "smart" apps that can catch perps who hit-and-run.  You can't get away with jack squat these days.  "Big brother" may not be watching you, but everyone around you with a smartphone clearly is.

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16251 on: February 06, 2016, 12:06:41 PM »

1. Overslept ergo too late on getting coffee ergo MIGRAINE CITY.

2. I haven't had cable TV in years so basically I know nothing about TV commercials, especially those from the superbowl, outside of what Nationwide does (because Nationwide owns downtown Columbus, also DEAD CHILLUNS), whatever turns into internet memes, or whatever I catch via Youtube ads. Having recently re-disable adblock on Youtube because I felt like a prick, I've been seeing some commercials. Impressions are still:

> The only brands with enough money to have significant ad presence are the ones that already heave so much market presence that they don't need it.
> TV ads are viciously stupid and tend to either adopt gross dudebro aesthetics or blandly harmless faux-indie aesthetics (oh hey it's that anonymous song with the whistling and chirpy guitar again!)
> In general TV ads are this creepy funhouse mirror image of western society that only serve to make me happier that I've decided to drop out of it so I can just walk around in the park looking at neat bugs and roses. Heirloom roses cultivars are da bomb, yo.

3. I keep seeing vegetarian meatballs called "meatless meatballs." Why not just call them "meatless balls."

4. Related but I tried meatless fish out of curiosity and it was close enough to what I remember the real thing tasting like that I noped out after a very small bite. Curse my inner foodie driving me to try stuff I know I won't like out of morbid curiosity.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:22:18 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16252 on: February 06, 2016, 01:00:43 PM »

I love the companies that spend $5M for a 30-second time-slot during the Super Bowl and then throw their commercial up on Youtube before the game even airs.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16253 on: February 06, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »

Yeah it's ironic that they pay so much for it but are uploading them earlier than the game to YouTube so they can get the social media conversation going on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. Part of the fun of watching the big game is the element of surprise with commercials. You don't know which one is coming next or by who or what it's about. If they start uploading them too early and they're really funny then you'll have friends, family, or co-workers spoil them and they won't be as funny when you first watch them during the game. I hope they don't become like spoilers where we have to avoid the internet the few days leading up the game. For example, a big movie trailer reveal surprise that most didn't see coming but were pleasantly surprised. In then end, I know they're just pricey paid advertisements, but it's tradition to be surprised and laugh the first time you watch them during the game with friends.

We need a living passion to believe in. Burning hearts and a brand new feeling. Action! If we're gonna make it like a true survivor. ~ David Hasselhoff
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16254 on: February 06, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »

Iiiii'm noticing that I don't judge political candidates strictly on their merits but on who their strongest supporters are. Like if there are two candidates and I agree with both of their platforms, I'll go for the one whose supporters I feel the most empathetic towards. I'm assuming this is normal?

Also banjos make me cry okay everything makes me cry but BANJOS IN PARTICULAR. shut up.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16255 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:27 PM »

I've been taking it easy this week trying to recover, but I guess I had been taking it too easy, since I apparently neclected to shave this entire time, and I had already been putting it off way longer that I felt comfortable with before.

So I am pleased to announce that I no longer look like a disheveled hobo. Or maybe David Hayter/Wolverine, had I given it a couple more days...

...now my face is cold...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16256 on: February 07, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »

Iiiii'm noticing that I don't judge political candidates strictly on their merits but on who their strongest supporters are. Like if there are two candidates and I agree with both of their platforms, I'll go for the one whose supporters I feel the most empathetic towards. I'm assuming this is normal?

It's just like the phenomenon I always talk about: You like a thing but you find that thing's fanbase insufferable so you end up disliking that thing because you don't want to be seen as "one of those" (referring to the insufferable fans.) 

And it's pretty interesting to me that we could potentially have the first female president (Hillary Clinton), but the majority of my peers support an old white man (Bernie Sanders).  I haven't chosen my candidate yet, though Sanders looks to be the least bad of the lot (I don't have any trust or faith in politicians, really).  Granted, given that my views tend to align strongest with the Green Party, I might have to look into their candidate: Dr. Jill Stein.  She if she can top Bernie as the least bad of the lot.   

Jokingly speaking, if a politician talks about eradicating Canadian geese and making post-Super Bowl Monday a national holiday, I'll probably listen. 

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: