Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Misc. Gaming News Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic  (Read 3059 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Today at 12:45:42 PM »

In regards to the physical copy thing..
It's not feasible for XSeed to do one, TiTS 2 is a risky localization and PSP is dead at retail, the fact that they are even bothering to localize both the steam and PSP versions is already something to be thankful for. I personally will get it on Steam and import a Japanese copy if I like it enough to have in my collection. It's not like it's expensive anyway, Japanese PSP games are dirt cheap. If you don't have a PC(which btw, you can connect to a tv and use like a console with a controller and play basically Tits 2 "HD", also tits2 is like from 2004 and not graphically demanding at all.. Machines from the early two thousands can run that game no hassle) you always have the option of playing it in either the PSP or Vita..

And to be fair I just want to play the damn game..  If you are that adamant about having it in your collection, just buy the Japanese copy+digitally on PSN which would cost probably as much as an actual retail English release, besides UMD's suck ass, they increase loading times and thus impact the gaming experience.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:48:25 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Today at 12:53:54 PM »

It was a PS2 Tales game, I don't remember which one. It was boring.

Legendia?

Is Legendia as bad as people say?
I kind of missed it and never really felt like going back for it.

(The main character looks so damn bad too)

Let's put it this way... It's the only Tales game that has been localized in the past 10 years I did not play through (other than Graces, which is on my list of games to buy at some point). I hated the graphics and just could not get into the style of the game. The battle system was a step backwards rather than forwards too.

Tales of Legendia has its fans, and it's justified. But I don't think the title could have MASS appeal because of a number of glaring flaws.

First the good:
= Strong Plot
= Unique Setting (very unique; you're on a massive ship! You never go on "main land")
= Lots of Bonus Content (technically, the entire second half)
= Great Characters
= Arguably the strongest Tales soundtrack.  Also, kudos to Bamco for listening to fans when they vocalize their love for the Composer and asked if he'll come back, since he finally is for Zesty.
= I'm also adding I think he graphics are spectacular.  Whoever did the lighting is a master and the rendering for areas makes them look full, cluttered (but not packed; just 'full' and realistic).  The characters are well animated (using people to do the movements --- look back a few seconds on the vid I posted above), and while they have that semi-annoying SD look (and look like kid's toys for it), they're still a good cut above Symphonia's characters.
But shit, LOOK AT THOSE LEAVES, that pretty blue shadow! That crisp and full rendering of the bridge (it's not just flat, brown, 3D wood), that water is gorgeous too!

The Bad:
= Terrible Dungeons (yeah, worse than Xillia's; because they're longer, there's just as little to do but walk, and it's random battle-based (your Holy Bottle still makes you encounter *exactly* 3 battles per bottle)
= Characters Quests (i.e.; Part 2/2 of the entire game) is a re-tread through ALL previous dungeons... Only ONE unique one, and it's short and terrible.
= Enemy HP (by the end, it takes waaay too long knock out enemies)
= VA (it's not bad, at ALL.  But that's the problem: the whole second half is mute; and the Character Quests are way better than the Main Quest)
= Battle system is a step back (while ToD introduced an exciting CC system to compensate, Legendia just made a clunky Destiny-PSX version).  It does the job, but like Blace said, it adds nothing and gets boring.
= And like Blace said, character designs are a hit or miss.  Senel looks less like an anime zombie in-game.  But eh.  Everyone else is a different shade of strange looking.

I love the Tales series, but I played Legendia once... and I really never plan on going near it again.

And to be fair I just want to play the damn game..  If you are that adamant about having it in your collection, just buy the Japanese copy+digitally on PSN which would cost probably as much as an actual retail English release, besides UMD's suck ass, they increase loading times and thus impact the gaming experience.

Oh MAN! I wish I bought TitS as a digital PSP game to begin with.  Loading times were cut down, there was no system noise (i.e.; no disc to read), and the battery could literally go on for days without needed a recharge.  But damn I was so friggin' happy to bet my Bracer Pin with the physical release. :(  I felt special.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:58:37 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Today at 01:07:38 PM »

It's not feasible for XSeed to do one, TiTS 2 is a risky localization and PSP is dead at retail, the fact that they are even bothering to localize both the steam and PSP versions is already something to be thankful for.
While I agree that mass producing it would not be financially viable, they could always do a "whoever wants one gets one" limited physical copy like what Gaijinworks did with Class of Heroes 2.  It would probably rake in more sales too because of collectors and resellers.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Today at 01:12:25 PM »

It's not feasible for XSeed to do one, TiTS 2 is a risky localization and PSP is dead at retail, the fact that they are even bothering to localize both the steam and PSP versions is already something to be thankful for.
While I agree that mass producing it would not be financially viable, they could always do a "whoever wants one gets one" limited physical copy like what Gaijinworks did with Class of Heroes 2.  It would probably rake in more sales too because of collectors and resellers.

I guess? But I remember reading in the Xseed forums that the distribution of said copies would be unfeasible for such a small company, they are like 5-10 people. Imagine shipping out 500-5k copies by themselves. Paying for a distribution company would probably ruin the profitability of such an ordeal. idk.. there was a lot of flack when the announcement came out in the Xseed forums and there was a lot of discussion regarding that. I don't remember the specifics but Tom from Xseed explained why that would not work, they said they were going to look into doing that kind of limited printiing but there were also issues with SCEA about printing PSP games in late 2014 when factories didn't do those anymore or something along those lines. I'd speculate we are more likely to get a collector's thing for PC than PSP. If we get anything of that sort at all.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:14:57 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Today at 01:36:56 PM »

It was a PS2 Tales game, I don't remember which one. It was boring.

Legendia?

Symphonia?

The Destiny remake?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Today at 01:52:12 PM »

It was more than likely Legendia that Lard is referencing, which is kind of the black sheep of the series, especially to players who got in during that era like I did and started with Symphonia. It's not a bad game and I understand why people like Dice liked the game, but I haven't talked to a person in my group of friends who played the series who say they liked it. Most hated it. These guys had only really played Symphonia and were hoping for more of the same and they did not get it since Legendia was right after it. They haven't really played a Tales game since other than Vesperia, which they did like. It took me convincing them to try it too.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Today at 01:56:38 PM »

... Dice liked the game...

Woah woah woah.  I think "liked enough to play, but never want to play again" ranks a bit more negatively than simply "liking it".

IIRC, I gameshark'd the last stretch because I said "fuckit" and got miserable with the battle system by the end.

It is fair to see I'm a sucker for shitty games if they have an amazing atmosphere and good enough plot/characters.  NieR ranks, Legend of Mana ranks, Saga II ranks, and so does Tales of Legendia... as long as I'm not playing the game "normally" (i.e.; with gameshark).

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Today at 01:59:15 PM »

... Dice liked the game...

Woah woah woah.  I think "liked enough to play, but never want to play again" ranks a bit more negatively than simply "liking it".

IIRC, I gameshark'd the last stretch because I said "fuckit" and got miserable with the battle system by the end.

It is fair to see I'm a sucker for shitty games if they have an amazing atmosphere and good enough plot/characters.  NieR ranks, Legend of Mana ranks, Saga II ranks, and so does Tales of Legendia... as long as I'm not playing the game "normally" (i.e.; with gameshark).

Haha fair enough. I have plenty of games I liked but would never play again and would gladly recommend those games to others, but I understand what you mean.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Today at 02:13:49 PM »

Tales of Legendia

Does jug girl sucks? She looks like a character that would suck.

(suck in combat... btw)
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Today at 02:15:08 PM »

Tales of the Tempest is the quintessential RPG. The best part is how whenever your party stops to rest you get a beautiful ambient campfi-HEY WAIT A MINUTE
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Today at 02:45:24 PM »

Tales of Legendia

(suck in combat... btw)

;)

She's too little too late.  Her jugs deal an great amount of damage, but she's slow at swinging them around.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Today at 02:47:54 PM »

Tales of Legendia

(suck in combat... btw)

Finally I know where your avatar is from.. Thanks for the clarification, I never got around to asking but you were nice enough to provide the information nonetheless.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Today at 03:30:48 PM »

Finally I know where your avatar is from.. Thanks for the clarification, I never got around to asking but you were nice enough to provide the information nonetheless.

=D
I thought I'd give the game some publicity because I loved the shit out of it.
Very unique and very creative.

I also like how you can upload your character to their site to have a yearbook entry online AND it makes you a custom forum avatar.
http://yearbook.spikycaterpillar.com/?c=h314023

The game isn't worth the 20$ price they charge, but since I got it in a humble bundle, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase.

(The Deus Ex part isn't a joke either)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Today at 05:33:53 PM »

=D
I thought I'd give the game some publicity because I loved the shit out of it.
Very unique and very creative.

I also like how you can upload your character to their site to have a yearbook entry online AND it makes you a custom forum avatar.
http://yearbook.spikycaterpillar.com/?c=h314023

The game isn't worth the 20$ price they charge, but since I got it in a humble bundle, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase.

(The Deus Ex part isn't a joke either)

Game's been on my wishlist forever. Maybe next time Steam has an indie sale, I'll grab it.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: