Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

insertnamehere

• View Profile
Re: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« Reply #1291 on: June 05, 2016, 02:34:56 AM »
This is probably going to be the last time I post about it here, and I didn't check for replies to any other posts I made about this or related topics, because of the possibility that debate may get heated (if anyone wants to debate, send a PM) and derail a thread.

IIRC there was another slight little joke made alluding to ethics in games in the last episode (don't remember it word for word) and I don't personally associate with this "consumer movement" as it's called by its proponents, but I think it raises valid criticisms of games journalism.

This is the article that made me want to post this here
I don't follow the game news from major outlets generally, so I'd only heard about occasional cases of questionable "journalistic" reviews/coverage, and I guess it's still a thing.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 05, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
I think it's perfectly reasonable to want/strive for honest journalism when it comes to games.  You want to make sure publishers aren't buying off reviewers, ensure journalists have enough time to play the game and are honest with their experience, and make sure that there's no funny business going on behind the scenes.  From that standpoint, I'm totally behind "ethics in games journalism."

The problem, IMO, is when we start getting into some of the examples like the article linked above.  Calling out a journalist who, supposedly, isn't good at the game or isn't playing it right, starting petitions to remove low review scores from Metacritic (hello, Uncharted 4), or doxxing people who disagree with your opinions is completely insane.  I do my best to give an honest, informed and fair assessment of a game when I talk about it for the site.  For example, I'm not the biggest fan of the combat in Witcher 3, and will probably have lots to say about it when I post my review for Blood and Wine.  That doesn't necessarily mean I have an agenda, doesn't necessarily mean I'm bad at the game (although that can sometimes be a factor with any skill based game), and it doesn't mean From Software paid me off to hate on anything that isn't Soulsborne.  I know that this isn't the reaction from every person asking for "ethics in games journalism," but, as with just about anything in today's society, the vocal portion of the group is controlling the dialogue and preventing proper discourse.  

Also, no animosity or anger should be read in my post.  It's my own personal opinion that isn't meant to be read as a rant or attack on any one group.  Just my two cents.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:23:23 AM by PaleRobbie »

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 12, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
Episode 113 is live.  Enjoy! 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 18, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »
Thoughts on Random Encounter Episode 113:

- "That's a problem with the Vita, it's not good with cursor-based Adventure games."
Sadly, I don't think they really build consoles with that in mind.  :(

- Don't worry, Ms. Kaiziri (sp?), I've never played any of the Zero Escape games, either.  Unlike you, though, I have no interest in getting into the franchise.  I don't mind puzzlers and I like VNs, but I'm just not into the style and subject matter here.  I'm sure the story's really good, though.

- "I think (The Witcher) plays like a bad Assassin's Creed game."
Wow, that is really NOT what I would ever want from an RPG.

- "(TMS #FE) kind of gave me a Final Fantasy X-2 vibe.  Is that too harsh?"
*sigh*
Ok, look... I understand that FFX-2 presents itself to its audience inappropriately, and that's a legitimate complaint, but it shouldn't ever be viewed as a some sort of Poor Standard by which other RPGs are criticized.
Not only that, but X-2 was not an "idol culture game".  It utilized a variation on modern (at the time) Japanese idol culture as a basis for its world-building, but one J-pop song and one ballad do not make it an idol culture game.  It's a Final Fantasy game, with all the requisite Final Fantasy trappings.
Perhaps I am just too defensive of X-2?  I have spent far too many years online defending it, for sure.

- "Remember when Resident Evil went to the GameCube and it was a giant coup for Nintendo?  I'd love to see them do that again and make their console more than just a Nintendo Player."
Did they try that with Bayonetta this time around?  How successful was that?  Genuinely asking, since I don't pay attention to sales figures (or Bayonetta).  I'll say, I bought a Wii U for Xenoblade X, but the first party games are a nice bonus.
It's just that, with the GameCube, you had fairly straightforward console with good specs, so it was attractive to 3rd parties.  But since then, Nintendo has relied on odd gimmicks to sell home consoles, which seems to discourage 3rd parties.

- Man, you guys were talking about a dungeon crawler that sounded somewhat interesting (about fighting dragons?), but I missed the name of it.  Always a danger with podcasts.

- The pronunciation of Galuf's name in this Brave Exvius discussion is making me want to make a ton of "aloof" puns, but none of them are coming out very good.
Speaking of which, you should be fusing those extra Galufs onto just the one Galuf for mega experience and other bonuses.  You don't need 3 Galufs, just one good one.  You should do this every time you get a dupe character FFBE.

- Wait... am *I* the 4th listener of this podcast?  Should I just send this post in email form?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »

- Man, you guys were talking about a dungeon crawler that sounded somewhat interesting (about fighting dragons?), but I missed the name of it.  Always a danger with podcasts.

I think it was 7th Dragon III Code VFD that they talked about in the latest episode.

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 18, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »
I mentioned it previously, but I for one am planning on going to MAGFest in 2017, so if you guys did a panel I'd definitely show up.  I've never been to one before, so it'd be nice to have one thing that I'd be especially looking forward to.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 18, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »
I mentioned it previously, but I for one am planning on going to MAGFest in 2017, so if you guys did a panel I'd definitely show up.  I've never been to one before, so it'd be nice to have one thing that I'd be especially looking forward to.

Ooooo, meeting more Fanners. <3 :D

Always exciting to confirm people here are real and not just..like...I dunno, AI bots.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:58 PM »

Always exciting to confirm people here are real and not just..like...I dunno, AI bots.

She's on to us! Act natural! Beep boop beep.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 18, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »

She's on to us! Act natural! Beep boop beep.

God dammit.  Not again.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
- Don't worry, Ms. Kaiziri (sp?)...

Kazairl. It's from a high fantasy novel series I read (well, tried to read) way back when called Shadowleague. One of the major characters is a firedrake called Kazairl, called Kaz for short by his partner Veldan. I thought he was cool, so I appropriated his name for my online alias. You can always just refer to me by real name, though: Caitlin. That's probably easier to spell and pronounce.

- "I think (The Witcher) plays like a bad Assassin's Creed game."
Wow, that is really NOT what I would ever want from an RPG.

As I said on the show, I really think Rob is exaggerating here. Geralt is much more limber than every stiff Assassin's Creed protagonist I've ever played as, and combat is more interesting and fluid than the cycle of "wait for enemy to attack, counter, wait for enemy to attack, counter" that every AC game devolves into.

Really, if anything plays like a bad Assassin's Creed game, it's Final Fantasy XV. Oh wait, that plays even worse than a bad Assassin's Creed game.

- "(TMS #FE) kind of gave me a Final Fantasy X-2 vibe.  Is that too harsh?"

Well, I think the idol culture comparison is a surface one. Sure, you've got the two songs in X-2, and you have the battle system that turns the job system into a fashion show, but that's kind of it. I think the comparison was mainly meant to point out that both games don't take themselves nearly as seriously as other entries in their respective series. Both games are also pretty perky and upbeat compared to other FF/SMT/FE games. I don't want to put words in Rob's mouth, but the comparison also poses the question, "Are these games the black sheep in their respective families?" For some, I think the answer would be yes; X-2 gets a lot of flak for various different reasons and TMS saw a lot of (really unfair) hostility before its release because of "I never asked for idol culture in my SMTxFE crossover" crap. I personally don't think either game deserves its leper status, but the fact that they are or have been viewed negatively by their communities is something that connects X-2 and TMS.

I was very smug when the first reviews and impressions of TMS came out. While other people were surprised it was good, I felt vindicated. I knew that if people gave it a chance, they'd see that it's a perfectly fun--if kind of wacky--game and a cool, new fusion of two longstanding RPG series.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 21, 2016, 11:51:10 AM »
I like that term, "black sheep" when referring to these games, I think.  They're perfectly good, they're just not what people expect.  And expectation is half of the experience, for most human beings.  If, however, you can let your expectations go, you can often find yourself falling in love with something (food, drink, music, anything) completely different.  Too many people failed to do that with X-2, so even though I don't like the SMT series, I hope that doesn't happen to TMS.

And I fully expect to struggle to spell "Caitlyn" correctly in the future, as well. :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 04, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
Thoughts on Random Encounter 114 - "Diet Thief"

- So this "Dark/Deep Dungeon" thing for FFXIV sounds... I mean, it sounds cool and all, but the comparisons to Tactics are kind of grabbing my attention.  I thought the connection was tenuous at first, but then Derek (I think) said something about turning enemies into chickens and frogs, and that is TOTALLY a Final Fantasy Tactics reference.  What other FF lets you do that?

- ...more to come

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #1303 on: August 05, 2016, 04:38:20 AM »
FF4 allowed you to turn enemies (and friends) into pigs, kappa and frogs. Kappa were in FF6 as "imps", too! Can't think of any others immediately, though.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 05, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
Frog was a status in 7.