Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:14:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334691 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 96294 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: February 09, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

The problem isn't about intelligence, but maturity. Japanese games are mostly aimed at early teenagers. With most of us in this forum hovering around 30 year of age, we can't help it but feel those games are 'teenage dramas'.

Western games aren't any better. They also target early teenagers while pretending to be more mature (read that as gritty and dark).

Lastly, it's not because someone is intelligent that they can discover something. Equipment, material, funds and the will to explore are important. One of the smartest man on the planet is a Hollywood actor. I don't think he cares much about quantum physics.

I knew this was going to come back and haunt me, I only said Quantum Physics as an example because it's considered to be a very difficult and complex area, of course there are people who are vastly intelligent/smart/whatever else  who don't even have academic degrees or work on other areas and do other things. It was a good example to serve my sarcastic intent in that post, it's nothing more than that.

Im only 18 so I can't argue against that but I doubt my feelings about the subject will change drastically, I don't have the notion that somehow emotional storytelling equates to teenage drama but whatever, that seems to be a cultural stigma more than anything imho.

And what exactly is your definition of a "mature" story, in many RPG's the characters find themselves in deadly and grave situations and many times deal with loss and stuff, their reaction isn't a "teenage drama", it's how people react to things like finding out they have a deadly disease or some loved one died, that's how it actually happens IRL... Of course it's not that black and white, reactions will change drastically from person to person but still I stand by my argument because it's good enough to prove my point.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:51:35 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 09, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »

Really good points all around, and it got me thinking about things. 

Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and yet it is filled with a great deal of melodrama and could be considered both adolescent and extremely mature in places.  Perhaps the key to that game's resonance with me was the fact that it's filled with believable characters with very real problems.  Meanwhile, the more recent Final Fantasy titles have been filled with very tropey or, IMO, borderline obnoxious characters that I simply can't relate to.  A solid cast can pretty much elevate anything into the realm of awesome storytelling.  The original Star Wars is quite simple in terms of plot, but the characters and their banter really sells the whole experience.  Locke is a hugely engrossing character in FF6, but Snow is completely nonsensical and annoying in FF13 (again, that's my opinion).  Maybe that's where the disconnect with the FF series and many other traditional JRPGs comes from....
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: February 09, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »

Really good points all around, and it got me thinking about things. 

Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and yet it is filled with a great deal of melodrama and could be considered both adolescent and extremely mature in places.  Perhaps the key to that game's resonance with me was the fact that it's filled with believable characters with very real problems.  Meanwhile, the more recent Final Fantasy titles have been filled with very tropey or, IMO, borderline obnoxious characters that I simply can't relate to.  A solid cast can pretty much elevate anything into the realm of awesome storytelling.  The original Star Wars is quite simple in terms of plot, but the characters and their banter really sells the whole experience.  Locke is a hugely engrossing character in FF6, but Snow is completely nonsensical and annoying in FF13 (again, that's my opinion).  Maybe that's where the disconnect with the FF series and many other traditional JRPGs comes from....

How much of FF XIII did you play? Snow can seem like your typical douchebag at first but he is an extremely likeable character by the end of the game imo.
The whole Hero thing in he beginning is a little bit cringeworthy.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: February 09, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »

Too bad that everything Square did post release simply undermined their artistic vision, much the same way the Compilation of FF7 made me hate everything about that world and its inhabitants.  

Except Crisis Core, which I don't think you played. It was fantastic.

It's hands down one of the more experimental successes I've seen.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »

I played 13 for about eight or ten hours and hated each and every character.  I simply wasn't interested in any of their stories and I found them all obnoxious.  Maybe they get better, but ten hours is often an entire game in and of itself.  Wasn't really looking to sink more time into something that I wasn't enjoying.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: February 09, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »

This is weird.  My computer iTunes received the podcast just fine, but my phone's podcast app can't find it at all. I usually listen to casts on my phone using earbuds, so it might be a bit more finagling before I get to it. 

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: February 10, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »

Started listening to episode 75 and... how come no one mentioned any of these ?

Valkyrie Profile opening
Breath of Fire 4 opening
Tales of Destiny opening (US VERSION)
Tales of Eternia opening
Tales of Phantasia opening (voiced intro on my SNES ? Madness)

Come on
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: February 10, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

Started listening to episode 75 and... how come no one mentioned any of these ?

Valkyrie Profile opening
Breath of Fire 4 opening
Tales of Destiny opening (US VERSION)
Tales of Eternia opening
Tales of Phantasia opening (voiced intro on my SNES ? Madness)

Come on

The fact the ToD intro started with the PSX boot up sound effects was sexy as hell (the animation itself was really lovely too; I remember being all "WHOOOAA" about it as a kid before I really knew what 'anime' was).

The Breath of Fire IV opening was nice too (I'm a sucker for the citar, of all things)

VP's intro was budget as hell though (i actually don't know what's worse, the low budge PSX opening or the tawdry and generic CG of the PSP intro)

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »

ToD is one of the rare case where I think we got a much better song than the original Japanese.
Seriously, we won on that game.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:54:15 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

ToD is one of the rare case where I thing we got a much better song than the original Japanese.
Seriously, we won on that game.

ToE's too! (I think a big part of that is more "I didn't like the original Japanese song" more than "I like the US one better")

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »

Bravely Default sounds like it's meeting or exceeding expectations.  Really want to play that.  

And wow, if Rob thinks that Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man is too bro or too hipster, then he doesn't know a damn thing about Spider-Man.  

And let's not forget the best not-CC not-WA RPG opening of all time: WRUUUUUuuuu

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »

Uh, Monsoon, I grew up with old school Spider-Man.  We're talking physicist Spider-Man.  That's what I grew up with, and I'm frankly tired of all of the reinventions designed to get new readers interested in a character.  It's fine if that's your first exposure to it, but the current incarnation of the character has little if anything to do with what I grew up with.  

Edit-
Also, let's be very clear here; the only reason we have the new Amazing Spider-Man films is because Sony only holds the rights so long as they continue to make a new movie every two to three years, otherwise they revert back to Marvel and, thus, Disney.  Movie Bob said it best when he referred to it as movie making by accountants.  It's the worst way to go about the creative process. 

And, while we're arguing about "getting Spider-Man," wasn't the entire point of Peter Parker that he's an everyday guy who just so happens to get super powers?  Now we have to give him a "chosen one" storyline based around awful cliches and terrible writing to somehow make it all mean something for him to now be  hero?  Like, his parents planned it for some odd reason?  The purpose of Spider-Man is that he's a kid who got great power, ya know, so he can be responsible with it.  The fact that the new movies fly in the face of all of this is a testament to the current writers not getting the character.  I don't care if the new incarnation in the comic books goes along with this same awful story, as I gave up on Spider-Man when they told me the real Peter Parker died in the 70's and he then made a deal with the devil (TM).  Sorry, Spidey's been pretty terrible for the last twenty-or-so years. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:11:10 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: February 11, 2014, 06:48:08 AM »

I'm well aware of Sony and Fox's motivations in making new Spider-Man and X-Men films, but I don't think that the business motivations for making those films is reason enough to dismiss them.  News flash: every major studio movie ever made is a business venture intending to make money.  All movies are made by accountants.  I'd recommend reading Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman - it's a wonder that any films get made, ever. 

The Peter Parker I grew up with is a little bit more troubled and sardonic than Tobey Maguire's portrayal in the Raimi films.  I really enjoyed the second of that trilogy, but ultimately I thought the first two movies were too candy-colored and... not in quite the same Spider-Man spirit I wanted.  Spider-Man 3 was a dumpster fire of overwrought-ness and bad ideas.  I really liked Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's performances in Amazing Spider-Man, and I was a little indignant when you dismissed Garfield as either "bro" or "hipster" (not sure you even settled on one of those catch-all insults).  I'm going to see the sequel opening weekend. 

And yeah, One More Day is one of the worst storylines Marvel's ever done.  Nobody likes bringing that one up.  And people make fun of me for preferring DC's oeuvre most of the time. 

EDIT: and hey, sorry if I'm being combative, but, well, I guess I'm just a somewhat combative person that disagrees with Rob a lot. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:00:17 AM by Monsoon » Logged

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 11, 2014, 08:13:17 AM »

No worries, Monsoon.  It's also very hard to pick up on tone when it comes to online posts, so I'm sorry too if I came off a bit strong. 

We can all agree that 3 was an absolute disaster.  The director wanted to make a movie with Sandman, and the producers wanted Venom.  We got garbage. 

I really, really like 2, as it centers in on the great conflict with Peter wanting a normal life but being forced to fight as Spider-Man because he's the only one who can. 

And I wasn't meaning to attack Andrew Garfield.  Love him in The Social Network, and I think he's a very strong young face in Hollywood.  My bigger issue is how Peter Parker is a bit more hip and a different kind of loner than we're used to (meaning the older, nerdier approach).  Maybe it is all just nostalgia, but I keep wanting my old Peter Parker and not this new version.  And yet, I love the Christopher Nolan interpretation of Batman because he was willing to shake up convention and do his own thing.  Go figure....
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 11, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »

Maybe it is all just nostalgia, but I keep wanting my old Peter Parker and not this new version.

Remember at all times, Rob, that as soon as you start lamenting the "way things used to be", you are old. No going back from old.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: