Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341138 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 105415 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:31 PM »

After listening to the podcast I decided to think about what my top 5 Final Fantasies were.
1. FFVII
2. FFIX
3. FFX
4. FFVIII
5. Lost Odyssey

Nobody can dissuade me from that last one.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »

It made me think to wonder if Crisis Core should count.  And if so, would anyone pick it?

(Also, hooray for the Patapon guy in your signature!)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »

I'm the guy who much prefers FFT:A to FFT.

It just plays much better and I actually understand what little story there is =/
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »

Did you play original FFT, or the PSP port, Annubis?  Because there's a world of difference in the understandability.  (That is, the PSP version is actually understandable.)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:51 AM »

Original PSX
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 26, 2014, 01:52:01 AM »

I tried to play that one back in the day.  Couldn't do it.  The Japanese controls and horrible translation detracted from it so much that I didn't play past the first mission or two.  I later picked up the PSP version and loved it.  The changes make a huge difference.

That said, I also really enjoyed FFT:A. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

Ah I forgot to rank my top 5 aswell.

FF 7 > FF 10 > FF 8 = FF9 > FF6=13-2(don't kill me)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:56:19 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: April 26, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »

FF5 will always be my favorite. Just so much to do in that game. But after that, my list tends to change with my mood. Like right now the next four would probably be FF9 > FF7 > FF13 > FF6, because though FF10 would normally be somewhere on that list I'm kind of bored of it right now.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: April 27, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »

FF5 will always be my favorite. Just so much to do in that game. But after that, my list tends to change with my mood. Like right now the next four would probably be FF9 > FF7 > FF13 > FF6, because though FF10 would normally be somewhere on that list I'm kind of bored of it right now.

FF10 is such a weird title for me to rank.  It's hammy, but it's beautiful; it's large in scope, but somewhat confined; it's got great characters, but not much development; it's got a great battle system, but pretty easy to beat/break.

I still love it, and I've only appreciated it even more with age.  Visually and thematically I adore it; but it's easy to sink a TON of hours into it (like Netflix) that I find myself kinda burnt out.  I switched, funny enough, to X-2 to switch up the pace and I love how different it feels despite the same terrain.

I actually booted up Final Fantasy IX tonight ...for the dumbest reason: I wanted to show my boyfriend how absolutely brilliant the 'opening act' is.  FF10 worked by giving most of your party because of a pilgrimage; most of FF5's cast is related; most of FF8's cast knew each other from fucking daycare...
But Final Fantasy IX managed to bring together all of its main key players in the most amazing and sheer-luck-based circumstances.  And c'mon, is anything funnier than Steiner running around with clanking armour and then thinking the play is real and his Princess *really* got stabbed?

Then again, I have to say, the Final Fantasy Series has always known how to start with a bang.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: April 27, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »

God I love the beginning of FF9! I too sometimes replay JUST to the phantom forest dark woods first real dungeon. The stage battle complete with SFX abilities, the sword duel, the scene you mentioned (I was kind of bummed the OST track ends on the massive crescendo instead of cutting right into the track that plays after that) Everything about it is so fantastic, and then you're reminded of how slow the battle system is and say 'screw it.'
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #910 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »

Yes. All hail Rusty.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: April 27, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »

FF6 is a funny thing.  It's a great game with everything I should love in an RPG, but it just didn't do it for me.  It's like when you look at a girl or guy (depending on your preference) and they are quite attractive but just don't get your motor running, and your friends go "what?  How could not find him/her attractive?" and then some person, who's maybe not as attractive, walks by and you trail them with your eyes and your friends go "Seriously?  You like THAT?!?"  

I enjoyed Legend of Dragoon more than FF6. 

My top 5 favorite FF games are probably

1) Final Fantasy VIII (played it 3 times to completion)
2) Final Fantasy VII (played it twice to completion)
3) Final Fantasy IX (played it once to completion and got to the end of disk 1 in my second playthrough)
4) Final Fantasy X (played it once to completion and am enjoying dabbling in the HD remaster.  Still the BEST battle system in FF history)
5) Jury's still out on this one, but I might have to go with Final Fantasy IV Advance
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:28:31 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: April 27, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »

Legend of the Dragoon is a weird game.
It's really great ! but the pacing is so shitty (I'd even go all the way to garbage) that it's really hard to slog through the game.
It took me almost 9 years to finish it. I would play it for ~5 hours and then get so sick of it, I'd put it down for a year.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 28, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »

God, the opening of FF9 is amazing!  I was completely blown away and finished it in a week (keep in mind I was in ninth grade at the time).  The battle system is a bit slow for my taste, but the characters are outstanding and the world is a lot of fun. 
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »

I must second the Dark Cloud 2 remake, really enjoyed the music in that game. Also the camera invention system was cool and so was the golf mini-game.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: