Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 08:07:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329319 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 64 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 87202 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »

I would love to see you guys talk about more RPG music :)

I will fight for your right to hear us talk more about RPG music. Because I share your sentiments.

<3

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:10 PM »

I think a great discussion would be comparing JRPG music to Western RPG music or talking about all the great composers from the last 15-20 years.  I just hope Sakimoto and Hamauzu are mentioned!  Another good discussion would be about the composers who are underated like Junya Nakano or Masaharu Iwata.    I would love to be apart of this cast,lol!

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Wendriel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »

I've only just recently discovered this podcast, and sadly, I've nearly run out of episodes to catch up on.  I've loved every minute of it so far- the coverage of particular games is interesting, the news segment is informative, and the discussion topics are often thought-provoking.  One quality of the podcast that really stands out is the atmosphere: it feels very much like sitting in (or perhaps eavesdropping, but with an invitation to do so) on a group of close friends discussing everyone's favorite hobby.  The episodes seem to go by so quickly that I'm starting to distrust my iPod's insistence that they're over an hour long. 

On the subject of discussion topics, I've been wondering recently about those elements of video games, particularly RPG's (since this genre is where it should be most applicable), which contribute most strongly to a feeling of immersion into the game world and/or the psyche of the characters.  Personally, I derive the most enjoyment from an RPG when it creates the illusion that I'm fighting as, or perhaps alongside (a la Fire Emblem 7's Tactician) the characters, but the exact qualities that a game uses to help create that illusion can be difficult to pin down, and of course are different from game to game, and player to player for that matter.

In the same vein, I've been giving some thought to what it means to "role-play" within the confines of a scripted world.  Some games offer more customization and freedom than others in creating a character, which makes role-playing easier for those who are so inclined, but I recall fondly the days that I spent role-playing characters in Diablo II, which doesn't offer much customization at all compared to games like Dragon Age or Fallout.  In the case of Diablo II, roleplay was often achieved at the cost of power (melee Amazons or Necromancers, bow- and spear-wielding Sorceresses), and I've often remarked on the fact that a game will often punish you for roleplaying too completely (to use a more recent example, focusing on non-combat skills in Fallout or Oblivion).  Then again, is it punishing you for taking a role too far, or rather for disregarding an implicit role, namely that of the fighter/warrior/killer?

If the podcast team is so inclined, I'd love to hear the panel's thoughts on either of these topics in a future episode. 

Thank you all for taking the time and energy to create such an enjoyable show.  I'll be looking forward to future episodes with eager anticipation. 
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »

As an occasional podcast contributor and staff member, I'm happy to be the first to say thanks for listening. I'm glad you've enjoyed it so much.

As for your discussion topics, I totally think that's a great topic for discussion. I don't know what the rest of our podcast team thinks - but I definitely think that'd be a great area to talk about.

I know that Rob (and the rest of the team) is always looking for feedback, so anything else you have to offer is really appreciated.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »

I personally don't like that idea because you lose the ability to have conversations that compare the two. Also some interesting conversations could possibly include both genres.

I like the podcasts the way they are but I'm going to stop listening if you change.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2010, 09:22:55 AM »

Always looking for feedback, guys!  These kinds of topics are going to help us out quite a bit as we approach a period in the year where there are few big RPG releases to look forward to.  We'll certainly try our best to incorporate some of these ideas as we enter the new year.

And, just so you guys know, we're recording a special long podcast this evening and hope to have it out to you guys by Christmas.  Consider it a holiday treat!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »

Yes, Rob is finally going to deliver his treatise on why he enjoys the KH storyline :)

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:47 PM »

Fuck a bunch of that, Stephen!

Actually, Skype is completely down tonight, so we won't be able to record.  Going to do our best to bring you guys a podcast as soon as possible!
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2010, 02:41:55 AM »

I was wondering if you guys were going to work on a podcast before or right after the Holidays.  That will be a good present :)

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2010, 02:53:46 AM »

We are trying to get a good present out to you, but we've had problems with Skype and some of us were unavailable this evening (I believe). We'll keep you updated!

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »

Just wanted to say to everyone in case im not on the boards tonight or tomorrow but Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Happy Everything!!!

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »

Just recorded an epically long podcast.  Hope to have it to you guys early in the week!
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »

Thank You!!!  I'm reading the review for 999 right now.  It was thanks to you guys that I even heard of this game and i'm usually on top of my games but this one slipped under the radar. It's a really interesting game thus far and i'm really into these types of games.  I didn't read up on anything in the game except listening to what you guys had to say about it.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »

Episode 15 is now live!!
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »

You weren't lying--this is super long. Enjoying it though.

Also hoping that the speculation for Mass Effect 3 is correct and they don't insert multiplayer content that ruins it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 64 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: