Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334513 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 95819 times)
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 19, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »

(Dumb) people often equate sexism in a work of art with sexism in the creator(s) of that work. Such is the case with TW2.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 19, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »

Totally agree, Kyle.

Episode 26 is live, friends.  Check it out under our E3 coverage! 
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: June 19, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »

May contain traces of hockey.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »

We love our readers so much WE RECORDED DURING GAME 7.  You guys better appreciate it. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
infernalism

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »

I'm starting to feel, like I'm the only one who comments on those podcasts, save the creators and staff members themselves :D Where is the discussion people? Probably in game related threads...oh well.

I have been swamped with work lately, so I'm yet to finish listening to the e3 episode, but I already have to agree with one thing that Rob said. I didn't care for Oblivion's story, whereas I was interested in what was happening in Fallout 3, and F:NV. I wanted to know what went wrong with Project Purity, why my father abandoned me, why BoS was in the area and all that. Although I have to admit, that F:NV's story was more unique, and the side quests (together they make like three quarters of the game in Fallout : New Vegas) blew out of the water whatever Fallout 3 did on that front. In F:NV quests were much more clever, and interesting, instead of the "go somewhere, enter the dungeon/facility/whatever, kill everything inside, and bring something back" side quest variety present in Fallout 3. That being said, I cared for the world in both games (I may be impartial, because I love both Fallout 1, and Fallout 2, and I haven't played Morrowind, or other Elder Scrolls titles for that matter, before playing Oblivion), and I couldn't care less for whatever was happening in Elder Scrolls 4.

I hope Bethesda delivers a compelling scipt in Skyrim, their stories usually don't stick that well with me, even the one in Fallout 3 could have been much better. From what I saw of Skyrim to this point, they just might succeed in telling an interesting story, instead of just creating a giant world (which is a feat in itself, just not enough to merit a preorder for me). This might be a "close to release date" pickup for myself.

By the way, If I make mistakes in use of the english language, and I'm sure I do, please feel free to point them out, I'm trying to get better (aren't we all?). It'd be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:34:54 PM by infernalism » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »

You made very few mistakes actually - if English isn't your first language, then your use of the language is pretty impressive. :)

Interesting what you said about Fallout 3. I just recently picked up the GotY edition - I felt far more compelled to grab that than New Vegas even though both are pretty cheap right now. I haven't started yet though, so that's all I can say for now - New Vegas' setting would be a draw for me though if I'm to go buy that one too.

Let us know what you think of the rest of the E3 episode!

NANOMACHINES, SON.
infernalism

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »

Well, thank you for your kind words on my english. :) Don't be afraid to point out specific mistakes in grammar though, the misspeling is easy enough to correct on my own. I hope nobody treats it as off topic. My native language is polish by the way.

Have you played either Fallout 3 or NV before? Setting in F3 is more "apocalyptical", and Fallout series is supposed to be like that I guess, but...it's 200 years after the bombs fell...Should it still be like that? I thought the portrayal of the Mojave was more realistic in this regard (the desert also felt "less destroyed" for another reason, but I would be spoiling the story for you a little bit). I like the "more destruction" approach of FO3 better, but as I said, I find it less believable.

However, what separates the two games for me, is one simple thing. The level of writing. Obsidian has a very good writing team in my opinion (KotOR2, Alpha Protocol). I've already given voice to my opinion on Bethesda's in my previous post. The main quest in F3 was very linear in my opinion, there was very little choice given to the player, so that he might alter the story, and what they did in the end (you'll see, if you haven't already played it) is simply not enough, it doesn't change anything significant really.

F:NV isn't exactly non-linear compared to The Witcher 2, but you have at least a few options to alter the main quest, to get a different ending, while doing different missions, or similar missions, with a different goal. The side quests are the difference though, at least for me. I simply had more fun completing them. In FO3, I quickly got bored with the side quest structure. It felt like I did the same thing over and over again, very few side quests were different from the template, that I outlined in my prievious post. But, to each his own. I prefer NV, that's all. :)

Also, the Deathclaws felt more deserving of their name. In FO3 I was swatting them like flies by the end of the game. In NV, I was always looking around nervously, when I entered an area, where they might have been present. And those Cazadors...don't get me started...Fallout is one of my favourite IP's off all time, not just games. :D I would also put Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain and Suikoden (please, make more LoK and Suikoden Crystal Dynamics/Konami!) on that list, at least as far as video/computer games go. I would also add games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Ishar (anyone remember that?:D) etc. but it's hard to see a worthy sequel for any of those.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:04:21 PM by infernalism » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »

Very interesting take on New Vegas.  I was actually pretty harsh on the game in my review.  I couldn't stand the reintroduction of damage threshold, and I felt that the side quests were all fairly boring by comparison to F3. 
infernalism

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: June 20, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »

Very interesting take on New Vegas.  I was actually pretty harsh on the game in my review.  I couldn't stand the reintroduction of damage threshold, and I felt that the side quests were all fairly boring by comparison to F3.  
Yeah, but why Rob, Why? :D Do some comparing, i'm not asking for a review.
I understand that NV came out 2 years after Fallout 3, and Gamebryo just doesn't look good anymore, so the initial Fallout experience in Fallout 3 made much more of an impression, but NV was simply, like I said, better for me.

SPOILERS!!!!!

Even simple things like the vaults seemed more fleshed out, each and every one had a dark secret about it, like with the heavy radiation and the boomers (they obviously left before tragedy struck) in vault 34, plant vegetation in vault 22, homicidal maniacs on drugs - the Fiends, in vault 3, the "political" vault 11, which I felt was boring to play through (nothing but rats), but it had a very interesting story behind it and a grand finale. And then vault 19, not my favourite, certainly, but it still had a story behind it, a quest tied to it (the escaping convicts used it as their hideout, and they had some leadership problems too).

There were only two vaults, that I was excited to enter in F3, the one with the super heavy radiation, and super mutants in it, and another, with the virtual reality simulator, and those were both main story locations. Other missions just felt tedious. I mean, seriously Rob, in FO3, when someone wants something from you, like the Declaration of Independence, or a satellite dish, you go somewhere to get it, kill HUNDREDS of enemies, you get the thing you came for, go back, give the item away, you get your reward, thank you very much. The game even lures you in with quests concerning "The Family", or a certain atomic bomb (now that was AWESOME, why wasn't there something similar to that throughout rest of the game?). "Wasteland Survival Guide" also tries it's best, and there was also a quest with the android, but those are rare in this game, it's mosty about an open world, not the story, and I would like to see more balance in a game, than what F3 exibits. I thought I got that in NV, and I'm still waiting for "Old world blues", and "Lonesome road". In NV you got all that Jacobstown goodness, Followers of the Apocalypse, The Boomers, The Black Moutain, Boone's investigation story in Novak, the mystery behind the REPCONN facility, that irradiated town in the east, The massacre in Nipton, the Red Rock Canyon's Great Khans, the Hidden Valley, The Thorn (hunting and killing the most dangerous and challenging monsters in the game had a reason thanks to that quest) and most of this material is in side quests only (some of those areas you'd have to visit, depending on who you decided to side with, after you dealt with Benny). All of those quests/locations were interesting to me. Was Evergreen Mills etc. entertaining to me? No sir, it was not...it felt repetitive.

The mass murder angle of F3 was also dumbed down, and dungeons stopped being tedious, you didn't have to kill thousands upon thousands of creatures (including humans) to go through the game, and the fight was more challenging, without feeling impossible. When you wanted to get the best gear, then you went to places like the Deathclaw Promontory and you tried to slaughter a bunch of those monsters, before they could tear you to pieces. Genocide was not the main focus of the game, even though you did a lot of killing, the story was just as important, if not more. And I appreciated that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:31:44 PM by infernalism » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 20, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »

I can't really fault Obsidian's writing in NV.  The quests all had that great moral ambiguity that the series is known for.  But growing up near DC and visiting it several times as a child really shaped my experience with F3.  Investigating the Capital Building, Washington Monument, and White House were all directly linked to events in my childhood.  I know that they're all just dungeons with slightly different coats of paint, but they all felt like pieces of destroyed Americana.  That really affected me as a player.

NV certainly had interesting moments and quests, but I think the bugs and mechanics problems made the game far too much of a chore for me to play.  Quests branches kept breaking, I missed story segments because of faulty AI, and the combat was severely downgraded IMO from F3.  It's true that you do a lot of fetching in Bethesda's game, but you always had an important decision to make at the end and the combat was almost always fun.  There was also a great deal of exploration, which is really the heart of what I love about these games.  I couldn't really explore in NV because enemies were far too powerful in the first few surrounding areas.  It made the game quite difficult and frustrating at times.  I love the freedom of these WRPGs, and NV doesn't really have that until you've leveled up quite a bit.  To make matter worse, the combat system is heavily slanted towards unarmed fighting and melee weapons, which is something I didn't figure out until I was well into the game. 

I understand that you really liked NV, and I'll probably fire it up again at some point to give it another shot.  It just never grabbed me the same way that F3 did.  I think F3 is a better designed world and a better designed game.  Obsidian's writing is certainly impressive and quite interesting, but I think they pushed the limits of the engine to the breaking point.  There are some really ambitious things going on in NV (factions, morality, weapon mods, etc.), but none of it really works because the original game wasn't designed with these things in mind. 
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #325 on: June 20, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »

I can't really fault Obsidian's writing in NV.  The quests all had that great moral ambiguity that the series is known for.  But growing up near DC and visiting it several times as a child really shaped my experience with F3.  Investigating the Capital Building, Washington Monument, and White House were all directly linked to events in my childhood.  I know that they're all just dungeons with slightly different coats of paint, but they all felt like pieces of destroyed Americana.  That really affected me as a player.

I think Rob and I had this conversation on the podcast.  Or if not on, recording before.  I couldn't have cared less about all of the things in the Capital wasteland.  I've never been to DC.  But FNV was full of places that I'd been, places that I grew up around, and the desert I knew and loved.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: June 20, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »

I just finished listening to Podcast 25 and 26.  I feel loved having my name mentioned on the podcast :)  My next wish is to be a guest on there, I know it would never happen, but I would have so much to talk about on there with Demon's Souls and my impressions on Dark Souls :)  Anyways, great episodes everyone, keep it up!!!

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
infernalism

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:55 AM »

Yeah, well. I can't argue the fact, that the game was bugged to hell. It's just not that much of a problem on PC (my platform of choice, although I have both ps3 and x360) with an active modding community, that can quickly "patch" most annoying problems. I was never that bothered by bugs, I always expected them to be patched sooner or later. It's the question of "do I care?" that I have to answer positively, to enjoy the game.

Don't get me wrong, I cared for the story in F3, and to be honest with you, I thought it was a great game when it came out, and I cleared it for the first time. But when dust settled, I began to see serious faults of this game, and as I said, it's the story (and the quest structure that derives from this aspect of the game) that separates those two titles for me. Nothing else. But to me, it's a huge difference.
I guess for you, it's the bugs, and the lack of nostalgia, that you felt while playing Fallout 3, that makes NV less entertaining. OK. I don't have an argument with that at all. In fact, both titles definitely have their shortcomings, but I actually liked the aspect of the game you're criticising. I'm talking about that "monsters are too powerful here, come back later" approach of F:NV. It kept me on track with the story, and I always felt, like there was something else to be done, something I left behind, some enemy that I had to even the score with, once I get more powerful. I would actually like that to return in Fallout 4.

I agree with you Rob on one thing though. The ambitious nature of Obsidian's game. New Vegas (the city I mean) feels empty for instance, because the engine just couldn't handle that ambition. There are many other examples of it not being able to carry developers vision on it's back. Obsidian is no Bethesda in terms of creating those vast worlds, and game engines that can run them, from scratch. You know what I'd love to see don't you? A collaboration of Bethesda's programming, and creative teams, with Obsidian's writing team in Fallout 4. That could be a beast of a game my friend.

One other thing. I've never been to Washington, or Nevada for that matter. My only stay in America was N.Y.C. and I certainly wouldn't know if N.Y. was reflected well enough in it's digital counterpart, after just one visit there.
Is Capital Wasteland really that similar to the real thing?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:36:29 PM by infernalism » Logged
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »

We have a you tube channel? I wasn't aware of that either. Is there a link on the site's main page that I just don't see?

Nintendo fails for abandoning Xenoblade and the last story. I was kinda suprised you guys didn't talk about the wii U. My brain has been flipping out with all the RPG potential in that new control setup.  Did anybody get a shot at the HD Zelda?

[Edit] good god I am RETARDED. It's there on the front page all right.  Off to look at that video with the giant boobies!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:51:44 PM by MindCandy » Logged

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »

Haha, yeah. I need to get on advertising that more...

Not so surprisingly, said video with the big boobs has the most hits out of all our videos BY FAR.

Infernalism -

I haven't played either FNV or F3, but I think one thing that draws me to F3 IS the post-apocalyptic setting. Guess all those SMT games made me a sucker for that type of setting. I'm also familiar with Nevada - not nearly as much as John/KeeperX is - which makes NV kinda interesting.

In any case - I'm going to go shut up and play. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: