Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 04:10:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340877 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 70 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 104748 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #345 on: July 05, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »

I had hours of my life forcefully ripped out of my body with the assurance that I'd never receive them back. I ended up with the same impression.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 24, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »

A new episode looms on the horizon.  Stay tuned...
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »

You guys are just pumping out podcasts left and right! Keep em coming!!!  I would love to hear a podcast on Video Game Collecting.  I watch videos like PeteDorr, HappyConsoleGamer and FinnGamer and my god they have alot of video games.  Mine is no where close to theirs but I own about close to 1,000 games.  My question is, is it wise to buy all these games and have them sit on your shelf if you don't play most of them or never will?  I have about 98 games (literally) that are sitting on my shelf that I have yet to play and with work, I get about 1-2 hours of gaming in a day if im lucky.  I don't ever want to trade in games or sell them.  Is collecting games a waste of time or does it have some merit?

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Furymasterzero
Military Gamer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »

Keep it up with the Podcasts! You guys have one of the best around so the more the merrier if you ask me. You guys have fun with it and it at least keeps me entertained during work.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  You have no idea how much I smile when I read stuff like that. The new episode should be up by the end of the week.

To IA:
That's actually a pretty interesting idea for discussion.  I've only sold back two games (Deus Ex for PS2 and Street Fighter 4) because I really like to have the collection and I love to go back and replay games every once in a while.  I find that with disposable income comes some choices that are based around having the game more than actually playing it, however.  I've bought a few games that I haven't had a chance to play, but I knew I wanted them because they are either very difficult to find or because I may want to play them in the future. 
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »

Yes, I've become so picky that I have to own everything (CIB or Complete in Box), I can never own a game with rental stickers or a missing manual or case/box.  I did however, lose all of my Nintendo boxes except for Chrono Trigger and Blast Corps.  I threw my other boxes away, most people would just throw them away but I find that having all the packaging adds to the collection, plus you know what your looking at.  Nintendo 64 games don't have end labels which piss me off!

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Furymasterzero
Military Gamer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »

To Rob: This may be a bit old but I did agree with you that Dawn of War II could be considered an RPG, or at least a Strategy RPG.  At the very least Strategy game with RPG elements.

To IA: I agree I hate stickers and all that.  I also am very protective of my collection. I don't see how people could lose manuals and cases and all that.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »

We often have to argue back and forth about games that we cover here on the site, and Dawn of War 2 caused a pretty big battle.  I was on the losing side, but I honestly see where the other viewpoint is coming from.  If we reviewed every game with RPG elements we would pretty much be covering everything.  RPG elements have become synonymous with almost every type of game out there, so we try to pick the games that are most closely related to the genre, if that makes sense. 
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »

Rob nailed it - only thing I could add would be that we ask ourselves the question "does it feel like an RPG?" That helps us weed out some of the gray area games.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Furymasterzero
Military Gamer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2011, 03:22:58 AM »

I agree in how I can see the other viewpoint. However, overall the game has looting, level progression with skilltrees(somewhat), stats, your units all have special abilities. The real question should be how is DoWII an RTS? haha I kid(not really..), in any case I am on the it's an RPG hybrid side similiar to what Mass Effect could be considered.

Still catching up with the podcasts, right now I reached the Dragon Age II discussion one.

I will also so I agree with your view on Fallout: New Vegas.

However I highly disagree with your views on: Xenogears, Kingdom Hearts, The World Ends with You, and some other titles.

Lastly I will say that due to your guys talking about it I will be picking up 999, I was interested in it a while back, however I just never got around to getting it.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

For the record:

Xenogears: A tremendous achievement of storytelling that (much like Eva) ran out of funding and time, resulting in half of an awesome game and half of something... else...

Kingdom Hearts:  I loved the first game because it was you and Donald Duck on a magical adventure.  KH2 had some great gameplay and awesome set-piece moments, but it felt like the series got away from the core roots that made it so whimsical and fun.  As of late, the series has been milked and processed to the point of complete garbage, and I'm not even sure if a third core entry could right the ship.

TWEWY:  That shit is awful.  Seriously, though, the gameplay just baffled me and I had no interest in the main character. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »

Rob loves kingdom hearts, he just has to keep up his show persona

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: July 26, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »

I've always wondered why you even covered ME2. At this point, I think the franchise isn't an RPG but a shooter with RPG elements.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

My recollection is that we felt like ME2 pushed the line, but that we'd give it some leeway based on the facts that it's a sequel to an RPG and that it still has an RPG feel, despite moving away from traditional RPG combat.

But we also said "hey, if ME3 moves even farther in this direction, we're going to have to seriously consider whether it falls within our coverage."

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #359 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

I've always wondered why you even covered ME2. At this point, I think the franchise isn't an RPG but a shooter with RPG elements.

This is something I've never really understood.  Yes, there was a lessening, but not removal, of the statistical system in 2 (which much of has returned in 3), but it still has major mainstays - dialogue trees, significant player choice, long exposition, etc.

If you go purely from a "this game has a fully fledged statistical system," Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was more of an RPG than many of the games you'd look at and consider an RPG.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 70 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: