Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 06:58:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340890 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 104771 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 25, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Episode 39 is live!  Enjoy our look at the FF13-2 demo.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2012, 03:05:03 AM »

It's been awhile since i've posted but I'm looking forward to a Final Fantasy Retrospective Podcast.  Would this cover games like Final Fantasy Tactics, or just the numbered ones?  I would love to hear everyone's input on FFT.  I know i'll be in the majority here but after playing through all of the Final Fantasy games, V always comes up right near my favorite.  With the soundtrack being one of the best and the atmosphere.  People don't really care about the story and characters but something strange about that game that I really love.  Plus, "You Can Hear The Cry of the Planet" in that game.  Anyways, as always, keep up the great work.

29 / Gamer / Collector / Certified Nerd

Currently Playing - Samurai Warriors 4 (PS4)
Waiting On - Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O (PS4), Final Fantasy XV (PS4), Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2012, 07:36:36 AM »

Just finished listening to the 39th podcast (had a fairly long trip)

first of all : Thanks to the Staff for making such enjoyable podcasts .. and this time..  special thanks to Zach pintchik for editing.

Hmm.. even though i have to admit that the monster system sounds fairly intriguing ... I will probably still skip anything ff 13ish .. since i don't really care abount the cast.

I am also looking forward to February .. and probably the Star wars the old republic Podcast ... since I would like to hear a general opinion about the game after the 30 free days of game time. I myself am still enjoying ToR a lot even though it is probably one of the buggiest games I have ever played.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »

You go, podcasters!  I've finally started listening in, I'm ashamed to say it took this long, but I do like.

Would like to see more and hope The 'Fan keeps growing too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: January 28, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »

You go, podcasters!  I've finally started listening in, I'm ashamed to say it took this long, but I do like.

Would like to see more and hope The 'Fan keeps growing too.

You didn't even listen when I was on it? ;_;

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:39 AM »

I'm a bit behind, just finishing up Ep. 38, but it's good times!

I like the predictions everyone has in mind, and also digging that everyone on the staff's as psyched for Amalur as I am. I think it's going to be a real gem and I feel like the company will have no probs taking off. At least, I hope so. I don't know, I'd have to be really picky to find things wrong with it.

As per the console discussion, it is rather hard to picture any of them really pushing boundaries at this point because they're all so establish, all look so good, and it's hard to imagine what could come next! Especially since they've all gotten on board with the motion control shtick, the latter two so late in their respective console's lifetime, whereas Wii developers had so much time to play with it, and now the WiiU is going back to classics! Heh.

Anyways, looking forward to 2012 and Ep. 39!

Just Greg, thanks.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »

I think Nintendo has to be very careful with the pricing of the WiiU.  The screen in the controller is going to jack up the price considerably, and the probable/impending launch of the NextBox system details could derail things in a similar manner to the Dreamcast.  I also think the many core gamers feel slighted by the Wii's focus on casual games and motion controls.  Still, Nintendo managed to right the ship on the 3DS, so I can't see the WiiU being a total failure. 
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2012, 05:37:30 AM »

till, Nintendo managed to right the ship on the 3DS, so I can't see the WiiU being a total failure. 
And they haven't even released a Pokemon for it yet!

Still, I think you're right about the dicey pricing. That's what gave the PS3 such a hard time at its launch as well.

As for the hardcore gamer end of things, I dunno' if that's going to hurt it so much anymore. The Wii really opened up the door to so many casual gamers that it's likely made a lasting market for them. So sure, maybe those badass hardcore games won't make it to the WiiU, we won't see a Nintendo Gears of War equivalent starring Shadow the Hedgehog or some nonsense, but they still have the lion's share of nostalgia-characters to keep long-time gamers who cut their teeth on Mario, Sonic, Link and Samus coming back, and as well those soccer moms that just love to be doing stuff with their kids have that avenue too.

Dunno', I likes my Forza, Modern Warfare, Halo and such as much as the next fratboy, (well, maybe not AS much...), but I certainly enjoy all the titles that I have on my Wii.

Honestly, I just hope they make online play with your friends an actual thing that's not a pain to get to. PS3's got a hub to organize it all, XBox pioneered it, Nintendo really should get on board with that being the way to manage online gameplay, because sometimes, you can't always get all your buds onto the couch, y'know?

Also, for the love of all goodness, Starfox. Please, just make another console Starfox!

Just Greg, thanks.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 02, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »

I'd also like to see Zelda expand a bit and get out of the rut.  Not trying to start a flame-war here, but I really didn't like Skyward Sword.  I'm not a fan of motion control to begin with, and the constant backtracking and awful pacing really killed all of the momentum for me.  I remember playing Twilight Princess, loving it, and then thinking that it was now time for them to try some new stuff.  Skyward Sword just wasn't the game for me, and I'd really like them to sit down and think long and hard about how to make the series relevant again. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: February 02, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

Even if I never played the first one for the DS it was such a shame that Another Code: R for Wii got stuck between Japan and Europe. Many nice titles for the DS and Wii end up like that and really don't want to see that happening again with the 3DS and WiiU.

Or at least not as often.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: February 02, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »

I get what John is saying about cutscenes, but it depends on the context.

I hate games that have a cutscene, have you run three steps, then have another cut scene ala Uncharted.

If a plot is compelling, I don't mind cutscenes interspersed throughout the game. You guys kept bringing up Deus Ex, and I think that's a pretty good example of cutscenes done correctly.

And his point about Zidane and Dagger is a good one about JRPGs of today lacking a real sense of subtlety overall, especially with character development.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:07:07 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #521 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »

And his point about Zidane and Dagger is a good one about JRPGs of today lacking a real sense of subtlety overall, especially with character development.

You refer to FF9 in a positive context. All our prior disagreements are forgiven.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: February 03, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »

Sweet. And who wouldn't refer to FF9 in a context?

Only those without a heart!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 03, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »

Let it be known that I brought up the Zidane and Dagger moment.  See, I don't hate all JRPGs!!!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:58 AM »

Let it be known that I brought up the Zidane and Dagger moment.  See, I don't hate all JRPGs!!!

The exception proves the rule ;)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: