Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331922 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 92503 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

Hey, thanks for assuming Torchlight II's success is no more than a referendum on Diablo III.  Some of us aren't playing Torchlight II because it isn't Diablo III; maybe they're playing Torchlight II because they liked the original Torchlight?  I understand that Torchlight will always be compared to Diablo - the comparisons from TL1 to D1 and TL2 to DL2 are numerous bordering on mimicry - but I think that the podcast team (mostly Robbie) was being a little unfair.  It's cool if some of you aren't interested in Torchlight II and think Diablo III is unfairly hated, but come on.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:34:54 PM by Monsoon » Logged

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »

I think you'll find that plenty of us on staff are T2 fans. We just weren't on the podcast this time.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: September 24, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »

I think you'll find that plenty of us on staff are T2 fans. We just weren't on the podcast this time.
Yeah, I know.  I was anticipating a little TL2 discussion with some interest, and got incensed when a few staff seemed to dismiss it.  I overreacted. 

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #588 on: September 25, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »

There will probably be more discussion in the next ep, too, since it wasn't out yet when we recorded.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 25, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

I really wasn't trying to dismiss it (John said it was hipster Diablo).  I just think T2 is getting a lot of positive feedback because of the outrage over D3.  I said over and over again that it could very well be a good game (I doubt the original Diablo team would screw something up that bad). 
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: September 27, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »

I don't mind the term hipster Diablo.  Not only is it sort of accurate, it makes me want to go out, buy a 24 of PBR, and make a drinking game out of it.  Drink when you level, drink when you gain Fame, drink when you kill a boss or champion, finish your can if any of those happen simultaneously.  Over/under for blacking out is around 2.5 hours.  Let's do this. 

Look, I wrote that first post shortly after hearing the podcast and I got a little pissy because I'm a fanboy.  You did admit that you thought T2 could very well be a good game, but you also nearly turned a discussion of T2 into a defense of D3 (Torchlight 2 is "the game that everybody will say is better than Diablo III regardless of whether or not it is better than Diablo III") and compared T2 fans to disenchanted True Crime apologists hating on Grand Theft Auto.  You used a version of the "I'm just sayin'" defense, which everyone knows is bullshit, and two of the podcasters (I think Robbie and Stephen?) sounded more derisive than anything else. 

So yeah, I'm playing the **** out of T2 because A) I'm a big fan of the first Torchlight, B) I really liked all three Diablo games, but prefer T1 to all three, and C) I like Diablo clones in general, so of course I'll enjoy a $20 one that's the sequel to my favorite Diablo clone.  ****, I'll probably even try out Sacred 3, that's how much of a sucker I am. 

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #591 on: September 27, 2012, 01:23:56 AM »

Hey man, your criticisms are not unwelcome, so feel free to voice them. We like it when people comment on the show, good or bad!

But in all honesty, I DO think that a lot of people are going to say T2 is better than D3, regardless of either game, because hating D3 is sort of in vogue. That isn't to say I don't think there are legitimate problems or that EVERYONE is thinking that way, but I think it would be silly to say that it isn't the case at least sometimes. Like I wrote in the T2 thread, it's an objectively great game, but I personally don't get much out of it.

I'm not going to be a Diablo 3 apologist, because that game has some hugely disappointing flaws and it's unlikely that I'll really go back to it again, but I'm also not going to be nice to Torchlight 2 just because of 'x' or 'y' reasons. I'm gonna try to be fair, absolutely, but I'm not going to love it for doing something well that was done well ten years ago.  I really do believe D3 is a more adventurous game that tried to do something fresh, and I enjoyed my whole time with it. The whole time I played Torch 2, I just felt like I was playing a really polished Diablo 2.5. But there's a huge segment of the gaming population that WANTED something more along the lines of D2 than what D3 was, and for them, T2 is like crack-- and I'm certainly not gonna get down on anyone for loving it.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:19 AM »

Sorry guys, but season passes are bullshit.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »

Paying $10 less for things that I know I'm going to buy? Not seeing how I'm getting screwed there. Let's say you aren't sure you want the DLC. So you don't buy the season pass. Then you only buy one of the DLCs. How did you get screwed? Or, you buy all four, because you like them. You weren't forced to buy the season pass, and you got all the DLC. Not screwed there either. I don't get it.

Maybe if this were a developer that hadn't already shown that they can consistently produce good to great DLC I'd understand that sentiment. But considering General Knoxx alone added like at least ten hours to Borderlands 1, I'd say there's nothing sinister happening here. Gearbox has earned my trust, based on what they've produced up til now, so I have no problems buying in early (and saving myself money in the process).

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »

Hey, good podcastin', fellas.  I think you were a little vague in your Ragnarok Odyssey discussion, basically leaving it at "it's a Japanese action RPG with loot, like Monster Hunter" and explaining some basics. That all sounds dandy to me - I sunk 200+ hours into Monster Hunter Freedom 2+Unite and another 30-40 into Gods Eater Burst - but I have weird, specific questions that I suppose I'll ask on the RO forum topic.  ...there is an RO forum topic, right? 

EDIT: Okay, I couldn't find a Ragnarok Odyssey forum topic.  I have some questions if it's cool. 

...what is the game like?  You guys mentioned multiple weapons, classes, and loot, and compared the game to Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star: Portable.  But you didn't mention anything about variety of weapons, environments, and skills or what the differences between the classes are.  What is the weapon variety like in RO? (i.e. how many weapon types are there and how do they feel different from one another, if at all?).  Is there any kind of skill/magic system and how does it work?  Are the environments big and open with large hunting targets like Monster Hunter or is it more of a dungeon/corridor grinder with a boss at the end?  What are the differences between different classes?  Can you use AI party members or is it solo-only if you play offline and without ad-hoc or AHParty?  Thanks in advance. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:53:21 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: October 21, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »

...the prediction that the STALKER license gets used was pretty exciting.

Also, "Bravely Default" means a lot more to someone living in a foreclosed home.  Irrelevant, though.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #596 on: October 31, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »

If you didn't notice, we got a real index of episodes here:

http://www.rpgfan.com/podcast.html

You can also find it in the header.  We'll still be making regular website updates for the podcasts, but that index will pull directly from our RSS feed!

Also, new episode tonight.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 31, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »

Huzzah!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #598 on: October 31, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »

But it's out of date! Because I've beaten 999 since then! Well... beaten it once :)

Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: November 13, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

You gotta let us know what you thought of 999/VLR Stephen, with you being the adventure game buff and all.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: