Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338107 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 100759 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 18, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »

I think it also depends on what the audience is criticizing.  Look at Far Cry 2.  That game had a lot of potential and a wonderful atmosphere, but it was crippled by the constantly spawning enemies and obnoxious malaria shit.  Critics and fans (rightfully) attacked these mechanics, and it looks like addressing these issues lead to some of Far Cry 3's success.  I agree that developers should stick to their vision, but they need to also listen to feedback. 
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: January 18, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »

I 99% disagree with Rob's point that developers should listen to fans. I'm a big fan of developer transparency and some level of community outreach, but if developers take more cues from fans then fans will feel MORE effacious and entitled (an effing disaster) and the analogy of the inmates running the asylum could apply.

Now, developers should 100% listen to sales (which they always do) and professional journalists and critics (which they sometimes do). I just think that fans should stay in the audience and not be a part of the creative process. Like, at all. Again, we don't want the inmates running he asylum.

I agree with your first paragraph, but not your second. Critics and journalists are just fans who get paid to write about games, and their opinions are just as subjective as any other fan. And I actually enjoy some degree of audience participation in the creative process. I agree that the developer needs to have a firm vision for their project and can't buckle to every bit of community pressure, but on the other hand, listening just to critics and, more importantly, sales means we'll get nothing but Skyrim and CoD-knockoffs for all eternity.
I should probably clarify - I don't think developers need to listen to fans because fans are awful as a large group.  Fans are whiners who always want everything to be just like their favorite old games, while insisting that they still want to see innovation in new games (I totally count myself among "we" by the way, I don't want to say I'm above all this).  HOWEVER, I agree that acknowledging, understanding, and addressing good criticism is valuable to developers, so I said that they should listen to professional critics and journalists.  I won't disagree that said journalists are basically fans with more access and larger audiences for their discourse, but they're also paid professionals who are much better at providing insight as to why a game is good or bad than a "toxic forum environment." 

So basically, if a game creator panders to its fans, it is likely to end really badly.  But if a game creator maintains their vision throughout game development, keeps a sound business model, and listens to advice from professionals who have a good understanding of what makes a game good, well, then they're probably going to make a pretty good game. 

And for the record, I think the best example of a team listening to its critics is the Ubisoft Montreal guys that worked on the Prince of Persia trilogy from 2002-2006.  Sands of Time was an acclaimed game whose major shortcoming was awkward combat.  Warrior Within took that criticism to heart too far, making the combat and weapon progress really interesting, but losing the voice and storytelling methods that were part of what made Sands of Time great.  Two Thrones, the final game of the trilogy, was the ultimate example of meeting halfway - it used time travel shenanigans to team up the more sarcastic, lighthearted Prince from the first game with the darker voice of the second game.  Tried to get the best of both worlds.  Sands of Time is still the best of the trilogy, but there's an obvious evolution of themes with each subsequent game. 

But let's not talk about the 2008 Prince of Persia.  Don't make me justify that ****.  I'm not going near that one with an eight-foot pole.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »

Our End of the Year Spectacular episode of Random Encounter is now live!  Enjoy!!

Trying to download it, can't get it to work :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #633 on: January 19, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »

Our End of the Year Spectacular episode of Random Encounter is now live!  Enjoy!!

Trying to download it, can't get it to work :/

What's it doing? Where are you trying to get it from? I just checked iTunes and the main link on the site and both seem to be working for me.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 19, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

Also check to make sure you aren't using an ad-blocker extension if you're using Chrome.  That screwed me up the other day. 
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: January 19, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »

What's it doing? Where are you trying to get it from? I just checked iTunes and the main link on the site and both seem to be working for me.

Is there a non Itunes version of the mp3?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #636 on: January 19, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »

Yeah, you can get it straight from the news post-- just click the direct link to Random Encounter, and you'll see that it's an MP3. You can also grab the straight MP3 from the podcast tab on the tab of the site nav.

WhiteAndCrispy

Physics VII: A New Beginning

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: January 20, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »

Great podcast, but I wish I had known it would open up a few old wounds.

Still the commentary on ME3 was again, something I agree with. And I hope BioWare can finally strike a balance between listening to fans and avoiding the insanity that is their boards. Maybe the final DLC will show it.

You still need to play LotSB, Mr. Steinman...
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »

Shadow Broker was some boss nasty DLC. Especially the part with the

Code:
Shepard falcon-punching the Shadow Broker during the boss fight

WhiteAndCrispy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »

Code:

That scene when Shep just goes on a combo rampage was the only satisfying use of melee until Omni-Blades. I can only imagine that scene now...
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: January 20, 2013, 07:49:10 PM »

Code:

That scene when Shep just goes on a combo rampage was the only satisfying use of melee until Omni-Blades. I can only imagine that scene now...

I always found that part awkward given I play Infiltrator sniper Shepards. Like, when did I learn to melee like a champ?
WhiteAndCrispy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: January 20, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »

Code:

I always found that part awkward given I play Infiltrator sniper Shepards. Like, when did I learn to melee like a champ?

Especially since the guy you are slapping around just PUNCHED A DESK IN HALF.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

I always play an Infiltrator in Mass Effect.  There's just something terribly satisfying about completely breaking almost every combat encounter in the game. 

Snipe.  Snipe.  Snipe.

Oh shit, somebody is coming close to me.

Cloak and run to the other side of the map.

Snipe.  Snipe.  Snipe. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #643 on: January 20, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »

I always play an Infiltrator in Mass Effect.  There's just something terribly satisfying about completely breaking almost every combat encounter in the game. 

Snipe.  Snipe.  Snipe.

Oh shit, somebody is coming close to me.

Cloak and run to the other side of the map.

Snipe.  Snipe.  Snipe. 

Hello good sir Vanguard charge would like to talk to u.
*ME3 Addendum: Vanguard charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova

WhiteAndCrispy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: January 20, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »

I've gotta run a soldier. There is no combo better than Soldier and the ORIGINAL Mattock in ME2:

Oh look, lots of people.

*Adrenaline Rush*

*Double-Tap heads*

Well, everything is dead now.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: