Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334757 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 96564 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #645 on: January 20, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

I've gotta run a soldier. There is no combo better than Soldier and the ORIGINAL Mattock in ME2:

Oh look, lots of people.

*Adrenaline Rush*

*Double-Tap heads*

Well, everything is dead now.

I was a huge fan of vanguarding in 1-- grab the mattock, buff up, use carnage, LOL at everything. I remember being able to drop the big guys (armatures?) in like one shot in the endgame. Man, I enjoyed those games a lot.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:21 AM »

Never mind, I found it finally!

Rob - the difference between Dark Souls and Diablo III's online experience is that if Dark Souls' online didn't work, you could still play the game.

With Diablo III, you couldn't play the game.

To tell people to get over it is bullshit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:29:26 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
DarkCecil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »

This is to all the guys who do the podcast.  (And also my first post in ages):

Very favorable review of podcast 55.  I've been listening to all of them for the last year at work and it helps me get thru the day easier.  #55 is an excellent overall review of 2012's RPGs.  Fully agreed with Guild wars 2, Diablo 2 comments, also agree with all the negative comments regarding Diablo 3.  I voted for Xenoblade as my favorite game of the year as well.

Keep it going, guys.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #648 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

Never mind, I found it finally!

Rob - the difference between Dark Souls and Diablo III's online experience is that if Dark Souls' online didn't work, you could still play the game.

With Diablo III, you couldn't play the game.

To tell people to get over it is bullshit.

Rob is talking about the error 37 criticisms that people are still bringing up to this day. Error 37 was a problem got less than a day at a time in which most people were a asleep. People shit on Diablo 3 before they even get into the game. My issues with the gameplay I mentioned in the podcast are still valid, but the fact is that the Internet loves to hate Diablo 3.

And thanks for the feedback, DarkCecil! Stoked that you dig the show.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:03:35 PM by Taelus » Logged

DarkCecil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: January 23, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »

I'm definitely not "the internet" but I sure didn't like Diablo 3 at all for many reasons - none of which have to do with errors.

Going back to that terrible May of 2012, when I shortly realized it was the biggest disappointment of waiting 11 years for a game, I just didn't like how it boiled down to being a Auction House based game, where all power comes from that.  Not to mention, its a money-suck for Blizzard to make money off fake video game 'items'.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #650 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »

I'm definitely not "the internet" but I sure didn't like Diablo 3 at all for many reasons - none of which have to do with errors.

Going back to that terrible May of 2012, when I shortly realized it was the biggest disappointment of waiting 11 years for a game, I just didn't like how it boiled down to being a Auction House based game, where all power comes from that.  Not to mention, its a money-suck for Blizzard to make money off fake video game 'items'.

Oh for sure, I agree with all of that. But I do think the core combat feels good, and I think the running internet joke of "hah hah error 37" has run its course. I think the game is fantastically playable, right up until you get to the end and realize that the design of the game broke the entire metagame that gave D2 its legs.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 23, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »

I had no intention of downplaying the troubles some people had with D3, Lard.  Stephen's right, I was just commenting on the Error 37 meme that took over the internet and was only an issue for a few hours.  It sucks that some people had (and still have) constant problems with D3, and I do think there should have been an offline mode.  The problem was the overall vision for D3 and the idea of commerce through the online component.  That development never really took hold that the game's current state is a result of that. 
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: January 24, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »

Sorry man, it just came across as another anti-consumer rant, and there are enough of those on podcasts like Weekend Confirmed and Giant Bomb.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »

No problems.  I try to look at both sides of every argument.  People went nuts when D3 didn't work at exactly 12:01 AM on launch day and that really pissed me off.  At the same time, some people still can't get the game to run properly with the internet connection, and that's just wrong.

Now let me tell you about my experience trying to get this special edition of Ni no Kuni....
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: January 24, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »

No problems.  I try to look at both sides of every argument.  People went nuts when D3 didn't work at exactly 12:01 AM on launch day and that really pissed me off.  At the same time, some people still can't get the game to run properly with the internet connection, and that's just wrong.

Now let me tell you about my experience trying to get this special edition of Ni no Kuni....

Amen. I just got a shipping confirmation for my copy. Who knows when it'll arrive.

I bought a copy of the regular edition to tide me over in the meantime. Studio Ghibli's got my number, man.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

I've been reading about it.
I can't believe Namco has botched this so completely and utterly

Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: January 30, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

Oh for sure, I agree with all of that. But I do think the core combat feels good, and I think the running internet joke of "hah hah error 37" has run its course. I think the game is fantastically playable, right up until you get to the end and realize that the design of the game broke the entire metagame that gave D2 its legs.

Agreed.  What really gets me is how did they not see this coming?  I like to think of it on a purely monetary level.  Put the arguments against the Real Money Auction House aside.  It exists and you want to make as much money as possible.  You want people constantly needing items in order to go to the Auction House.  Working on that logic, why would you design a game where you only ever need to create ONE Barbarian.  It doesn't make any sense.  I wouldn't call myself a hardcore Diablo 2 player, but I played enough.  Over the course of about 6 years I probably started 12 Paladins from scratch.  I will never start another Barbarian in Diablo 3.  Why would I?  I can just change my build to suit me for that minute.  The RMAH and the skill system as it is don't even work together on a fiscal level.  Odd.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #657 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

Yeah, I agree.

Now then, on the opposite end of the "awesome loot and character building and skill system" spectrum... there is this little game I can't stop playing called PATH OF EXILE.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 01, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »

Editing episode 56 early Friday afternoon.  Look for it some time this weekend!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #659 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »

SURPRISE THREADJACK!

If you check out the podcast page, you'll notice we've posted a special episode! It's the Music of the Year 2012 episode, and it's sort of a pilot project. We've got music, we've got commentary, and we've got an interview with Casey Ormond at the end!

If you guys like it, please let me or Derek or Rob or anyone else know, because we'd love to do a regular music show.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: