Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 07:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335294 Posts in 13728 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 98423 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #780 on: August 12, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »

If Derek, Rob, and I were a Tales cast, we'd have awesome skits.

I've been playing too much Xillia - I read that and saw "skirts."

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: August 12, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »

I've never played a Tales game and assumed he said skirts when I read it earlier.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

This probably won't make me popular, but...

While I agree, as you guys said in the podcast, that a women is perfectly within her rights to review Dragon Crown.. I would also be inclined to say that some people (either genders) are not the best to review borderline games.

While aggregating the results from the multiple categories (music, gameplay, art, controls, story and whatever) for the final score, it sometimes feels like there's a hidden -2/10 because "it offended me" and I think that should not be there.

So yes, on one hand, anyone can review the game. On the other, having someone review a game that is against their values and morals will generally yield a less than pleasant reaction from the actual target audience.

Lastly, I'm not saying that the alternative, where only people part of the hive mind review the game, is a better, since that would just be a giant circle jerk.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: August 12, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »

So...people with strong opinions shouldn't review games?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: August 12, 2013, 05:12:07 PM »

I'd say that they are more inclined to forgo objectivity than the alternative.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:17:16 PM by Annubis » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

I can honestly say that the more controversial parts of Dragon's Crown did not influence my score.  They are a factor in who I will play the game around/with, however.  And, if we always talk about how video games are art and how they illicit emotional responses, shouldn't we also point out if something offends/detracts from the experience?  I hear people talking about crying or getting angry with certain actions in video games, but just like any other art form video games have the capability to offend. 

Not really looking for an argument here.  I think it's a very healthy debate that needs to happen. 
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »

I'd say that are more inclined to forgo objectivity than the alternative.

Reviews aren't academic papers, they are far closer to opinion pieces. The further a game gets from the simplistic styles of Pong, the more it enters the fields of art, where you can't be scientifically objective - otherwise you are missing the point.

This is why people have reviewers they trust, and reviewers they consider hacks. The more a reviewer shares the same tastes in you, the more you listen to their opinion.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: August 12, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

I agree with you Rob that denoting your reactions his valuable for the reader. The problem is that reactions are personal.
I guess a perfect reviewer would be able to view a game according to himself while being able to also view it as his exact opposite.
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: August 12, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »

So would Etrian Odyssey be the Dark Souls of the 1st person dungeon crawl RPG?  (You don't have to answer that)

Yo Derek, I created a new post under Miscellaneous Games for a fan-made Megaman game I found this weekend.  It's really solid if you're looking for a good ole Megaman experience that challenges the crap out of you.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

My emotional response to a game absolutely factors into my reviews. When it does so strongly I make a note of that.
Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: August 12, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

I wanted to post this because I've seen the dragon's crown argument several times around the internet, and unfortunately I've had few open-minded people with which to discuss and criticise my view on the issue.

I am both a gamer and a reader. As a fanatic of fantasy novels, the genre I love is currently a shared space between the traditional Lord of the Rings/Song of Ice and Fire fare (my preference) and supernatural romance books in the vein of Twilight. Whenever I go to a website like Goodreads, the fantasy section is a combination of things which appeal to different types of people. I have yet to see a full on campaign demanding that one side change itself to be uniform with another. People simply support what they chose to support.

Why can video games not be the same way? I can understand being frustrated that nearly every game today is targeted at younger males, but the method by which people are voicing their frustration leaves me confused. When you attack something people like, they react instinctively, shifting into a rabid defense of the things they enjoy (as we are seeing). Secondly you give TONS of free advertising to the offending product. To be fair, I had never even heard of Dragon's Crown before this silliness started, and I'm usually rather aware of things which go on in the gaming world. As a result of the assault against Dragon's Crown, it is more likely that the game has sold FAR more copies than it would have if everybody had simply kept silent on the matter. Further, by selling so many copies, it just might get a sequel. This is capitalism at work.

This is not to say that people who find the current state of gaming offensive should keep silent, rather they should direct their energy into the CREATIVE side of a CREATIVE medium. Without denouncing that which offends, support that which you feel does things well. If you believe there isn't anything which does things well, then feel free to voice that opinion, but in a way that supports the creation of new ideas. Try to fill that void rather than trying to warp what people already enjoy. I see no reason why games can't be like books: coexisting.

Those are my thoughts. Would love feedback, since it's difficult to form a solid argument without it.
 Edited for those who read English.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:55:03 PM by Grainofariver » Logged

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »

So would Etrian Odyssey be the Dark Souls of the 1st person dungeon crawl RPG?  (You don't have to answer that)

Yo Derek, I created a new post under Miscellaneous Games for a fan-made Megaman game I found this weekend.  It's really solid if you're looking for a good ole Megaman experience that challenges the crap out of you.

This post is the Dark Souls of the RPGFan boards.

Actually, speaking of the "Dark Souls of..." idea, Mega Man Unlimited is pretty evil! I managed to beat Jet Man and Yo-yo Man in version 1.0, and I got to a couple of other bosses but couldn't take 'em out. I should probably download the patched version with extra checkpoints and save myself the headache, haha. Even though I already knew about it, I really appreciate you taking the time to make the recommendation to me! :)

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:03 PM »

to be fair to capcom, new phoenix wright game comin soon(albeit in digital download only form) and so's the phoenix wright/layton crossover.  Personally I'm excited for Ultra Street Fighter 4, AE 2012 brought balance to the game, this new iteration will probably destroy it.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: August 13, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

After listening to the podcast, I now have the Mognet theme as my email notification.  Thanks, guys!

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »

Another Capcom apologist here.  SF4 came out in Japanese arcades in 2008 and has had only 3 money upgrades in six years - Super SF4 was a $40 standalone, but AE and the upcoming 2014 Ultra have been available as $15 patches.  In addition there have been two free balance patches, including the current version AE 2012.  Not quite the days of Street Fighter 2, which had 4 versions over 4 years (5 if you count Genesis), with each costing a full $60.  But hey, I'm also a Capcom fanboy who plays Monster Hunter so I'm not exactly an unbiased observer. 

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: