Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327636 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 63 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 84676 times)
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: August 13, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

So would Etrian Odyssey be the Dark Souls of the 1st person dungeon crawl RPG?  (You don't have to answer that)

Yo Derek, I created a new post under Miscellaneous Games for a fan-made Megaman game I found this weekend.  It's really solid if you're looking for a good ole Megaman experience that challenges the crap out of you.

This post is the Dark Souls of the RPGFan boards.

Actually, speaking of the "Dark Souls of..." idea, Mega Man Unlimited is pretty evil! I managed to beat Jet Man and Yo-yo Man in version 1.0, and I got to a couple of other bosses but couldn't take 'em out. I should probably download the patched version with extra checkpoints and save myself the headache, haha. Even though I already knew about it, I really appreciate you taking the time to make the recommendation to me! :)

No problemo, it does sadden me a bit that you want to play it on easy though...

I meant to ask, what's that other game you were referring to that's like Metroid?  Lano Lando?  Llama Llama ding-dong?  Dark Souls and Metroid in the same sentence definitely piques my interest.

And I agree with Ivalice Alliance, I love that darn sound effect, although I don't totally understand this site's love-fest for FF9 (please don't murder me!)

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #796 on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »

don't totally understand this site's love-fest for FF9

does not compute

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »

speaking of monster hunter, here's some gameplay of the new one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZqvTqWpDE
aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaa
though sadly too much of my time is in RE revelations multiplayer, dragons crown and dota 2 to prolly play this game or ff14

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »

New episode is live.  Enjoy!

Also, the game we were talking about was La-Mulana. 
DarkCecil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: September 04, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

Hey all, I'm listening to the newest podcast (#69) and I pay for FF14 as well.

I actually livestream it at my page www.twitch.tv/borg1982  [if you check past broadcasts you can see highlight videos].
I am by no means an MMO veteran, in fact I never liked a single one before FF14.

Even though I'm only a half-hour into the podcast, I was wondering if you guys use TWITCH.tv as well, to live stream what you do.  It's the sickest website ever, and I think it makes gaming even more addicting.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

Thanks for getting me back into Tactics Ogre, Rob.  Here I am, addicted to XIV, and I hear you talking about one of my favorite games of all time.  I already want to revisit Vagrant Story and Legend of Mana.  I can't take it,LOL!

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: September 04, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »

Oh man, this episode was great. I am exactly like Steven when it comes to writing messages to my friends ahah. I write like 5 lines of text that are pretty much divided in half sentences.
It's really great to see the interaction between you guys, it's what makes random encounter such a great podcast.
I am really stoked to play some of the games you guys mentioned(I already had them on my backlog, it's just an added incentive to get around to playing them sooner rather than later.) - Tactics Ogre, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Souls and of course the adventure game that was so indepthly discussed.(Memoria I think)

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: September 04, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »

I agree.  Random Encounter continues to get better and better.  You guys are all awesome people and I always smile when I see a new episode :D

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: September 04, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »

eh sad when fire emblem got destroyed in the ep. I definitely agree the enemies just spawning makes it hard to be strategic, like enemies just popping up on top of you in dragon age 2. Also I actually think the 3d graphics kinda hurt it as you can't do the crazy over the top crit animations like in previous games of the series. I remember the moment when my assassin crit a dragon for no damage but it gets instantkilled with a stab to the heart cause of his ability. As for the permadeath thing it's just a kinda cheap way to build tension as without that it just feels like there's never any risk in the battle. If people have played super robot taisen, when your robot goes down in a stage, you merely lose some gold to repair it after the stage is over. The strong point of that game is mainly the character interactions and pairing poeple up, I paired up miriel and vaike for the dialouge and it didn't disappoint, even if the resulting child wasn't min-maxed. Other than that, I must tell everyone who hasn't played ogre battle 64 to play it, it's imo the best game on the n64 and it's on virtual console. Talk about pokemans and the weird megaevolutions next ep, blastoise looks so weird.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

As far as tactic, planning and equipment management, Ogre Battle 64 is by far the best. No game that I know of comes even close.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #805 on: September 04, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

I wish they'd get 64 games on the 3DS. I would be so very down with trying OB64.

Also, thanks for commenting, folks. We truly appreciate it-- it absolutely makes a difference when we record knowing that people are looking forward to listening to us!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 04, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »

Ditto to what Stephen said!

Man, Tactics Ogre has gotten really really hard.  I'm in Chapter 3 (Law, for those in the know), and some enemies are just a pain to take down.  I'm patiently waiting to get the Dragoon class because beast enemies are giving me a very hard time.  They have an insane number of hitpoints and I'm only doing 12 or 15 damage to them with my hardest hitting characters.  Meanwhile, if I play the normal story missions I'm not having too much trouble.  They really keep the playing field level, as it's quite difficult to break this game.  Any advice for this struggling gamer? 
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: September 05, 2013, 01:12:26 AM »

Ogre Battle 64 is an underrated masterpiece and it's by far my favorite Nintendo 64 game.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: September 05, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »

Ditto to what Stephen said!

Man, Tactics Ogre has gotten really really hard.  I'm in Chapter 3 (Law, for those in the know), and some enemies are just a pain to take down.  I'm patiently waiting to get the Dragoon class because beast enemies are giving me a very hard time.  They have an insane number of hitpoints and I'm only doing 12 or 15 damage to them with my hardest hitting characters.  Meanwhile, if I play the normal story missions I'm not having too much trouble.  They really keep the playing field level, as it's quite difficult to break this game.  Any advice for this struggling gamer? 

There's a reason they give you the ability to return to any previous turn in the battle, the enemies in random encounters are always your level but will always have better equipment than you(imo anyways) until like the end of the game. It can get worse if you grind too much and end up overleveled as the random enemies will have even better gear than what you can get at that point in the game. uh what else....I really like the berserker class, gotta have 2 archers on your team, and beasts just have huge hp pools to blow through until you get dragoons. Oh and make sure everyone learns anatomy, the vast majority of enemies are human. I guess do some more story missions.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 05, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »

Good tips all around.  I also find that equipment is blocked off by the story missions, so if you keep leveling you actually create a wider disparity between you and the enemies during random battles.  Managed to break through and get some new stuff late last night and now I'm back on track. 
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 63 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: