Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 05:00:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 97298 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: February 08, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

Episode 75 is live!  Enjoy!!

Most Bravely Default fans already know if they want the game or not; I was pleasantly surprised that there's a demo at all.

Monsoon, I think this is the problem with the demo, honestly.  I wasn't 100% sold on the game, and the demo kinda turned me off in a lot of ways.  It's great if your mind is already made up, but I think a lot of people are going to take some convincing after some of the recent Square-Enix RPGs of late...
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: February 08, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »

Yeah, I gotcha.  I'm just not sure how a demo is supposed to communicate story and characters the way you wanted it to.  I'm pretty excited about the game, though, so I guess my predisposition was more positive.  Also, story and characters are never the first thing I look for in an RPG.  Looking forward to checking out the new episode. 

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #842 on: February 08, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »

Episode 75 is live!  Enjoy!!

Most Bravely Default fans already know if they want the game or not; I was pleasantly surprised that there's a demo at all.
but I think a lot of people are going to take some convincing after some of the recent Square-Enix RPGs of late...

Considering I've been playing almost nothing other than Square Enix RPGs lately, I think maybe I disagree. They had some rough years, but they've been excellent lately. Kind of like how people think the Sonic Cycle keeps going, yet the last three Sonic games have all been good to great. ;)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 08, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »

Stephen, there has never been a good Sonic game.  There, I said it....
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #844 on: February 08, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »

You're right, I was mistaken. There have only been perfect Sonic games and abysmal ones. No merely good ones.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: February 08, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »

The way Rob talked about FFX rubbed me the wrong way. It's not any "dumber" than any other FF game or most JRPG's in existence. It feels awfully like an internet bandwagony opinion but whatever, each to it's own.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:41:25 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 08, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »

I can see your point there, Holykrael1.  For me, FFX is when I started to turn away from the more anime/melodrama style of storytelling in JRPGs.  I will argue that we saw a significant increase in such things during the Nomura transition.  FF6 is full of melodrama, but at least the characters behave in a manner that makes sense and feels somewhat logical.  I can't make heads or tails of what's going on with half of the shit in FFX, and a lot of it feels like padding. 

However, I will say that FFX has a great, if not AMAZING, ending that truly makes things feels weighty and significant.  Too bad that everything Square did post release simply undermined their artistic vision, much the same way the Compilation of FF7 made me hate everything about that world and its inhabitants. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #847 on: February 09, 2014, 03:27:03 AM »

Too bad that everything Square did post release simply undermined their artistic vision, much the same way the Compilation of FF7 made me hate everything about that world and its inhabitants.  

Except Crisis Core, which I don't think you played. It was fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:31:10 AM by Taelus » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:53 AM »

I really need to finish that game. I got very far in, and I was having so much fun that I stopped to try to beat some battle challenges for a while, then had to move on to some other game. When I finally came back to Crisis Core, I had forgotten how to play. :( I think I'd just have to start over again.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: February 09, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »

I wonder where the stigma towards "melodramatic/anime" storytelling came from.. It's like all of a sudden it's not hip and clearly "intelligent" and "superior" human beings dont enjoy it anymore. It's like the intelligence measure nowadays on the gaming community lies in the type of story or games you enjoy.
I don't see people who only appreciate "real writing" and "real storytelling" making any scientific breakthroughs in Quantum Physics or solving the planet's energy problems for some reason though, clearly im missing something here.
Don't take this personally im not talking to you Rob, Im referring to the overall change in perception the genre has been getting in the last few years.

And in the defense of the "anime/melodramatic" storytelling, I dont see any Xenogears in western games, I dont see any 999 and VLR(maybe Bioshock Infinite but that's a crap example in comparison because VLR explores the moral side of the ideology of existing multiple universes while BI only uses it because PLOT, still a good story in it's own right but sucky in comparison IMO.). I wonder where the Chronos are in Western games aswell, clearly the superior storytelling genre.. PS: I have nothing against western games and I love them myself and of course there are examples of identical quality of storytelling in there but the elitism against JRPG/Japanese games in general pisses me off and at the end of the day it's all a matter of preference and yadayadayada...

I'm not knocking you Rob im just speaking in general and I really want to stress this because Im not trying to offend anyone here. I also have to agree with you on the FF X ending bit, I havent touched FF X-2 for that very same reason because I am content and satisfied with FF X's ending, I dont need to see anymore of that world.

And also regarding FF6, I will argue that it's the technology that didnt allow for the "horrible" anime/melodramatic nature of the game to show itself completely otherwise it would have been just as "dumb".

I also fail to see how sequels and prequels somehow impact the quality and merits of the original work(FF7), it's like saying if Dark Souls 2 ends up sucking that it somehow nullifies the things Dark Souls 1 did by extension. Oh and you should definitely play Crisis Core, not everything out of the compilation turned out bad.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:07:26 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »

There are so many points scattered in there that I don't think I can even follow your argument holy =/
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »

There are so many points scattered in there that I don't think I can even follow your argument holy =/

Sorry that it's not very cohesive, Ill try to organize it better. The first 2 paragraphs are just sarcasm and very tangential, it was the use of the "melodramatic/anime" words that triggered my reaction, it's just my own personal rage so ignore it, I had to say it though.
Edit: My previous post should be decipherable now, I think XD
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:00:00 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: February 09, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »

However I fail to see how sequels and prequels somehow impact the quality and merits of the original work(FF7), it's like saying if Dark Souls 2 ends up sucking that Dark Souls 1 by extension is now a crappy game. Oh and you should definitely play Crisis Core, not everything out of the compilation turned out bad.

I don't think Dark Souls 2 is a great example as Demon Souls and Dark Souls are more about gameplay than Story. I agree that a sequel shouldn't change your view on the original game but it still happens. Star Ocean 3 kind of did this to me with every other Star Ocean game.

Every time I see Cloud outside of the original game he seems to be in Advent Children mode and it has happened enough times that when I think of Cloud now, I picture Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia and Advent Children Cloud rather than the Original FFVII Cloud. Crisis Core is great though. I can't say I enjoyed the games actual plot but I did love all the things related to the actual FFVII game.[/quote]

I wonder where the Chronos are in Western games aswell, clearly the superior storytelling.. PS: I have nothing against western games and I love them myself and of course there are many examples of identical quality of storytelling but the elitism pisses me off.

You could say the reverse too though. Where are the Planescape Torments, Baldur's gates and Mass Effects in Eastern games. Or go even further and say where are the PT, BG, ME, Witcher, 999 Chrono Trigger/Cross and Xenogears anywhere outside of those games. Then again, do we even want more of the same or would completely new things be better?

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: February 09, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »

I was just giving examples of what I think are excellent examples of successfull storytelling in the "anime/melodramatic" style. Of course I later acknowledged that the same could be said for western games, didnt I?

" PS: I have nothing against western games and I love them myself and of course there are examples of identical quality of storytelling in there.."

And you are absolutely right, they are 2 distinct styles and Im all for variety and choice. I think you missed the point, I was just fighting the negative perception against the genre not knocking WRPG's or Western games for the sake of defending my preferences because that's idiotic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:24:13 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: February 09, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

The problem isn't about intelligence, but maturity. Japanese games are mostly aimed at early teenagers. With most of us in this forum hovering around 30 years of age, we can't help it but feel those games are 'teenage dramas'.

Western games aren't any better. They also target early teenagers while pretending to be more mature (read that as gritty and dark).

Lastly, it's not because someone is intelligent that they can discover something. Equipment, material, funds and the will to explore are important. One of the smartest man on the planet is a Hollywood actor. I don't think he cares much about quantum physics.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:33:18 PM by Annubis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: