Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:31:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327399 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 63 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 84009 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #870 on: February 17, 2014, 12:05:49 AM »

So I'm a bit behind on the podcast.
I listened to ep. 74 on the weekend and I had to turn it off about a third of the way through.

All I heard was "PC. Steam. Indie. Indie. Indie. Steam. Games at 60fps on PC are better. Indie".

Seriously. Can we stop with the circlejerk please?

I'd rather you guys went off and made a podcast about "regular" games and got people who actually seemed to *like* rpgs, because it doesn't seem like anyone on the podcast does.

It's a shame, because I used to really look forward to listening to the podcast as it seems to be the only RPG centred one around.

The reason I'm complaining is because I like to listen to people talk about games, not how much better games are on one format than another and it's been a steadily increasing part of each podcast to the point where I just don't want to listen anymore.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:08:46 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #871 on: February 17, 2014, 12:15:32 AM »

I vastly prefer games running on PC at a high frame rate. Not going to pretend like I think consoles are better because I grew up playing them. I like PC and I like console. I also think Steam is fantastic.

Indie games are actual games, and last I checked, and many of them ARE RPGS.

The games I have played most recently:

- Final Fantasy XIV
- Bravely Default
- Banner Saga
- Final Fantasy V
- Broken Age
- Dissidia 012
- Persona 3 Portable

Not sure where the impression that I in particular don't like RPGs would come from.

And furthermore, I have no idea where you get the idea that other people on the podcast don't like RPGs, either. Appreciate the feedback, but I'm not sure where you're getting some of your impressions. I was under the impression that we had been talking about many games these days, but we'll keep it in mind.

EDIT:

Also, now that I'm reading the description, episode 74 wasn't an episode about specific games, it was meant to be a 'trends and predictions' episode. We've been doing that for years with the new year episodes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:20:42 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #872 on: February 17, 2014, 03:24:24 AM »

I regret the circlejerk comment as it wasn't constructive. I apologise for that one.

My main point stands though.

We know how wonderful you think PC gaming and Steam is. I don't want to hear it every single episode though.

And like I said, I didn't finish listening to the podcast. I turned it off after 20 minutes of indie discussion. It just wasn't interesting and it's stuff people discuss on every other bloody podcast. I listen to the RPG one because it used to contain different topics.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:26:54 AM by Lard » Logged

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #873 on: February 17, 2014, 05:50:55 AM »

I regret the circlejerk comment as it wasn't constructive. I apologise for that one.

My main point stands though.

We know how wonderful you think PC gaming and Steam is. I don't want to hear it every single episode though.

And like I said, I didn't finish listening to the podcast. I turned it off after 20 minutes of indie discussion. It just wasn't interesting and it's stuff people discuss on every other bloody podcast. I listen to the RPG one because it used to contain different topics.

It seems more a case of your own stigma against indie games than anything else. There have been many great RPG's to come out of indie developers, if you don't care for them that's a different story but I dont think people who are making podcasts to cater to your particular needs.. They talked about games that came out recently or are coming out in the near future(that includes both indie and non-indie) and some old school rpg talk was also discussed in the 2nd half of the podcast with the best intro themes talk, I dont really see your point. I dont think they were discussing indie games just for the sake of discussing indie games, it's a case of discussing ALL GAMES regardless of their "social status" as it were. If indie rpgs are what is coming out during this time, it's natural that that will be the subject matter of the podcast in some way or form.
Indie is not a genre, RPG is and that's what was talked about.
Also good job in judging the whole podcast ~2hour podcast based on the first 20 minutes. Skipping is also an option. I dont mean to be a dick or apologetic but you came off as rather snobbish and poisonous.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:13:31 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #874 on: February 17, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »

Yeah that sounds like a personal issue more than anything.
Let alone the fact that there aren't that many console RPGs to talk about in the period where that episode was made.
I can easily predict Dark Soul 2, Bravely Default, FFXIII:LR and Danganronpa taking over the next podcast though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #875 on: February 17, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »

It seems more a case of your own stigma against indie games than anything else.
Indie is not a genre, RPG is and that's what was talked about.
Also good job in judging the whole podcast ~2hour podcast based on the first 20 minutes. Skipping is also an option. I dont mean to be a dick or apologetic but you came off as rather snobbish and poisonous.

Yeah, this is pretty much the reaction I expected. If you don't like indie, you're a "snob", or you just have no taste because you only consume games from "big publishers".

If Indie is not a genre, why is it always talked about as one? People don't say "indie platformers" or "indie rpgs", it's always "the most creative stuff is in indie games". As if it's one big genre.

I listen to the podcast because it used to be different than other podcasts out there. Nowadays, it's just talking about the same stuff as everyone else, and is becoming increasingly PC centred, seemingly because of one person. It's no longer unique or nearly as interesting, and that's a disappointment.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #876 on: February 17, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »

Way to completely ignore my comment about how the last month has been a RPG drought on consoles =/

Indie isn't about snobs and beret, it's about games 1-20$
That's why you'll see indie + genre. Indie just means low budget for low cost.

You don't sound like you'll listen to anything though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: February 17, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »

I made my point, it's not worth fighting about at this rate.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 17, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »

I wanted to wait a little bit before I posted on this.  

I can usually admit when I've done something wrong or obnoxious, and I do have a tendency to talk about how much I love Steam and PC gaming.  I can see how that would get annoying and maybe I should talk less about framerate and performance.  However, I, like Stephen, enjoy playing games that run smoothly and are properly optimized, which is what we get with a lot of console games on PC these days.  I won't apologize for the fact that I love playing games on PC, though I will try to stop extolling the virtues so much.

Now, all that said, we spent a few episodes talking about some awesome indie titles that we've been playing because, well, there just weren't a whole lot of releases on consoles.  This was an exciting year with Fire Emblem, Pokemon, The Wolf Among Us, and many other games that we talked about up and down on the show.  The last two months were a little light on major RPG releases, so instead of talking about Dark Souls for another four or five episodes, we sought out some killer indie RPGs.  Our next episode, which we plan on recording later this week, will feature Bravely Default, Lightning Returns, and that Da....Doggonnit.... okay, I can't pronounce it, but that really cool game that John recently reviewed.  

I completely disagree that indie is a genre in and of itself.  We have indie RPGs (Path of Exile), action RPGs (Rogue Legacy), horror games (Outlast), and so on.  I think it's a bit narrow-minded to suddenly lump all of these titles together under the "genre" of indie.  And one of the reasons we've been so enthralled with these types of experiences is because many call back to the old-school days of gaming that we all hold so dear.  Hell, I talked about how much I want a traditional Phantasy Star game on our last show and Stephen gave his thoughts on Unsung Story.  

I'm all for constructive criticism and can certainly cut back on the PC-elitist talk, but I can't help it if there weren't any major releases up until Episode 75 and we spent some time talking about really exciting games that you have no interest in, Lard.  I mean, I usually zone out listening to 8-4 Play when they talk about Monster Hunter, but I don't attack them for getting excited about something.  Fact is that we all have different interests.  I will say that I think your'e missing out on some truly excellent gaming experiences by avoiding the indie scene (or at least that's what it sounds like).  I don't look down on any major releases from big publishers, either (okay, maybe Call of Duty just a smidge).  I'm super excited for Thief, Dark Souls II (duh!) and South Park over the next few weeks, and those are all pretty large releases.  

Sorry that you aren't interested in the indie talk and, believe me, I'm kind of tired of the hipster response from some people ("Oh man, Fez is SO much deeper than everything else out there" *swigs Starbucks Coffee*), but that's why we put show descriptions out there so you can skip ahead of you aren't interested in the subject.  Hopefully all of us arguing about Lightning Returns will make things better!  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:38:01 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #879 on: February 19, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

For what it's worth, I like the PC talk because it contributes something to the gaming field. It's not like RPGs are entirely on consoles anyways, and while I no longer have a gaming PC, it is nice to hear what's on the up and up, what's worth playing, what graphics card PaleRobbie is oozing over (because let's face it, this is the one thing PC gamers would love to switch out for something newer and better ALL THE TIME) and it is because of this mix that I listen to the podcast. More often than not, I feel you guys have some interesting viewpoints and insights into the games that we all play.

Anyways, thanks for the podcast, and keep up the great work!

RPGRocker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »

This podcast is pretty much the reason I got a Steam account. And... it's pretty much the reason I love Dark Souls.

Not kidding at all.
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #881 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »

I'm never going to be able to escape Dark Souls, am I?

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #882 on: February 20, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »

Derek, Prepare to Die.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

Episode 76 is live.  Enjoy!!