Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:23:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329752 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 88064 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #885 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »

in which my response to someone saying we're pretentious was 'tough shit.'

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »

in which my response to someone saying we're pretentious was 'tough shit.'

Amen.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »

The podcast... insists upon itself.

(Great.  Now they'll never have me on again...)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:35 PM »

Now I will complain and insult and whine about damn near anything, but I never accuse someone of being pretentious.  Because that would be the pot calling the kettle black in the WORST way. 

Looking forward to hearing the new episode.  Gonna load it up now and listen to it at work tomorrow. 

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: March 25, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »

Loved the newest podcast. Big props to Rob, for mentioning EpicNameBro :D

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »

Rob, if you are afraid of jumping into Yakuza 4 because you've not played 1-2-3, let me tell you what happened with me who did exactly this.

In the main menu of the game, you can view what happened in the 3 other Yakuza games.
There is a section that shows you videos to explain things. Just press the option that says something like "view all".
The videos are very well done and lengthy (in the good sense). They cover literally everything you need to know.
It almost felt like watching a good movie.

Hence, I say: go for it.

(and Tanimura is awesome)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:07:00 PM by Annubis » Logged
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: March 25, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »

I would hope yakuza plays like shenmue since a lot of the same people worked on both of them. Also I would say just start with yakuza 4 as I think out of all of them 4 has the best story and action. There was a potentially super cheesy moment in 4 that ended up being actually pretty poignant, I was impressed. But yeah, play yakuza 4 after getting the dark souls 2 out of your system. Also, reaper of souls so good, get on it people.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »

Damn straight!  Reaper of Souls is fucking brilliant.  Can't wait to talk about it.

I really need to finish Sleeping Dogs and Strider before tackling another game.  I'm thinking either Yazuka 4 or Deception IV (but I don't know whether I should get the PS3 or Vita version of that game). 
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 21, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »

Episode 78 is live.  Enjoy!!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #894 on: April 21, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »

they live

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: April 22, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »

Oh man, what I wouldn't give for an HD port of  DQVIII for Vita.

Now I really want to play DQ VIII. Dat overworld theme. We'll probably get it for smartphone/tablets...right....?
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »

Cmon..Rob.. If I wanted to be like Spoony I could tear FF6 apart, any game/movie really.... Sorry for the strong language but well I just can't, it's one of those things that just makes livid..
I like you.. but be consistent, it's not like the JRPG's you worship don't have a lot of the immaterial, inconsequential things Spoony likes to obsessively nitpick about for the lulz.

Let's just use here a quick example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCAWW2PCvvA

I could spend 30 minutes being a snobby pseudo intellectual talking about how stupid that is. But im not gonna do it because you know.. it's pedantic.. and other things..

Also FF2 for all it's balancing issues, it's a game ahead of it's time with amazing music, great artwork, atmosphere and a rather impressive story contextually/historically.

And let me use an example of one of his complaints to demonstrate how shallow his reviews are:
He complains about Yu Yevon being a tick and a ridiculously easy "last boss".. But he is completely missing the point. Yu Yevon is a tick for story reasons, it's not likle they decided "HERP DERP LETS MAKE YU YEVON A TICK BECAUSE WE ARE MAKING A STUPID GAME WITH A  BAD LAST BOSS ON PURPOSE ASKJDASHNDAS".. It's to symbolize that he is a parasite to society, it ties in to the whole theme of FF X about ignorance, dogmas and corrupt religion. Besides he is not really the last boss in a gameplay sense you can't lose against him again, by design choice, kinda like you how Cloud Omnislashes Sephiroth to death(in his mind) at the end of FF7... because he is a parasite and the characters were able to escape the cycle of ignorance, acceptance and despair of Spira, it's sort of a battle of wills and principles. These brave characters who decided to go against the dogmatic teachings can't possibly lose to such a parasitic, pathetic being who refused to admit defeat and die back in the great war a thousand years ago out of pettyness and other things. It's symbolic and it's extremely well thought out and a perfect culmination of everything the game set out to do.

Very cynicism, such review, wow.

Also I started to play Dark Souls, partially because of how you guys talk about it every time. Im loving it, currently in Anor Londo, melee character, I ain't "cheating" :P

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:46:42 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

FF VI and FF Tactics are my favorite FF games too, but COME ON, Mr. Steinman.  Accusing Stephen of being a Nazi hipster on trial for war crimes for saying VI isn't in his top five?  While he explains his choices and you refuse to justify your accusations (and try to avoid taking a stand on your own top five FF games)?  Not cool at all.  I guess you prefer to identify something you disagree with as being too "bro" or "hipster" and hope that settles the matter. 

LOVED the discussion on Conception, even though it's a game I know next to nothing about.  Really, what I felt Persona 3+4 did exceptionally well was marry the gameplay aspects of narrative (Social Link dialog and time management), customization (Social Links enhance Personae, determine which Personae to focus on), and action (Personae are your most important tools for combat).  Even though it seemed weird or disjointed at times, those three parts being attached in that way enhanced all of them.  The fact that combat was snappy and fun and that the characters were interesting also do a lot for the game, but I always felt that Persona 3 and 4's gameplay synergy were its most fascinating parts. 

So Conception tried to mimic Persona 3's dating-sim elements connected to combat+customization elements, but ultimately failed?  Makes sense.  And I'm also with you on dungeon stuff - navigating cool spaces can be a great part of an RPG, and Dragon Quest VIII is a good example.  Something like 60% of the reason I like Zelda is because of fun, memorable dungeon areas.  Interacting with the world outside of combat is pretty important, and I would be overjoyed if Persona 5 can improve upon its predecessors in that way. 

And MY top five Final Fantasy games are (ranked 1 to 5): VI, Tactics, IX, VII, V.  If Tactics doesn't count, move the last three up one space and add X. 

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »

I think more than anything else I was having fun with my friend.  I love calling Stephen a hipster because it honestly couldn't be further from the truth.  

As for the Spoony style arguments against X, I think we have to keep a couple of thins in mind.

1.  There's obviously a nostalgia factor with VI.  I played it as a kid and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

2.  The lack of 3D cinematics and voice allows for the imagination to take over in many places.  Sure, there's plenty of melodrama in VI, but it's something entirely different to see it in 3D glory with a (questionable?) voice cast.  It's kind of the same argument you get with books.  Some people can never stand to see their vision and imagination fully played out in a movie because it will never fit with how they filled in the gaps in the medium.  I'd probably have huge problems with some of the dialogue if it was delivered full voice in VI, for example.  

3.  Pretty sure I mentioned, but just in case, X has a fantastic battle system.  Easily one of my favorite parts of the game.  I can easily see it as a contender on the combat alone.

4.  Sorry, I can't stand anyone in the cast besides Lulu and Auron.  Tidus is terrible (except in the admittedly powerful ending, of course), Yuna is vapid in most places, and Rikku just feels along for the ride most of the time.  And Seymour?  Yeah, I'll take Kefka any day.  

Again, keep in mind that I was having fun with Stephen and, yes, you can apply the same arguments to VI and most other FF games.  As FF has continued to move in the direction set by X, I find myself less and less attracted to the series.  For me it's all about the exploration, world, and story.  X has some really awesome story moments, but I didn't feel quite as connected to the world as the duality between the world of balance and world of ruin in VI.  I liked the game just fine, but it did begin a trend of moving towards more fantastical and incoherent (IMO) plots that have pushed me away.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:39:06 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: April 24, 2014, 03:53:01 AM »

Yeah sure, you like what you like and we are dealing with highly subjective opinions here, I was just arguing against the "Spoony's review is so true" remark, specially since his reviews have as many holes as he claims the games have, he has a few good points here and there but it's all bogged down by similarly awful, easily refutable and shallow remarks not to mention the pathetic attempts at lulz.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:00:29 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: