Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:13:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334826 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 97067 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 07, 2014, 02:06:46 AM »

^
I don't think there's anything wrong with that! 
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: July 07, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »

this might've tipped me over my decision of whether or not to buy the destiny ps4 bundle. Hopefully newegg still has some for pre-order. And get back on diablo 3 gais, it's lonely grinding act 1 bounties by myself for the best ring in the game.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: July 08, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »

It's so hard to get into games like Destiny, when I have a stupid backlog of games, wanting to re-visit older games, work, and dedicating a huge amount of time, to online games.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »

Hey all! 

I would love to get some listener questions for the next episode of Random Encounter.  Feel free to post them here and you might even get a mention on the next show!

-Rob
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:34 PM »

Is there a particular theme to go along with the questions, or just general questions regarding RPGs? If the latter, I have one:

To me, it feels like the Action RPG genre is currently in a renaissance of sorts with series like The Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls and Fallout leading the way in creating immersive, open worlds with unique ways of doing battle (Dark Souls' style of 'dangerous' combat, V.A.T.S. etc. Simultaneously, turn-based RPGs seem to be regressing-- many times seeming to use older graphical styles and being relegated to handheld platforms as they become more niche. Do you think a turn-based RPG renaissance is possible and if so do you think it's on the way, or far off?

I can elaborate more if you want me to, but I didn't want to write a novel.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 20, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »

We're basically looking for any type of RPG question.  You can also ask questions about E3 or any other events that we've had a chance to visit.

We're actually recording tonight, Marshmallow, so we'll be sure to talk about your question! 
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: July 20, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »

Question / prompt: What are some RPGs that are just okay or maybe average, because they're missing something?  Like, C+ RPGs that would become A- RPGs if they made one small-to-medium-sized adjustment or corrected one flaw.  I would love to hear each regular panelist provide an answer. 

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »

Great questions, gang!  We recorded Sunday night and hope to have the podcast up in a day or so. 
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »

Episode 83 is live! 

Keep those questions coming for future shows! 
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 26, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »

After listening to the podcast, I also had to think about Monsoon's excellent question.  I dug into my past reviews, and I've got a couple.

Mugen Souls is maybe more of a B game than a C+, but still, the changes that would have made it much better are not big ones.  Making it so that you could rewatch tutorials would have helped, for example, and that seems like a tiny change.  But more importantly, I think if they had just cut a thing or two from the gameplay systems, it could have been great.  The characters had too many stats, and what they did was very unclear.  And the system that you use so often to attempt to turn enemies into your peons was equally unclear, making it a constant guessing game.  Thankfully, from what Neal said in his review of the sequel, they did add an in-game help menu, and they made the peon system more clear.

More recently, Borderlands 2 on Vita.  Again, maybe more of a B than a C+... or maybe even a B even.  But still, the controls are a mess, because they tried to incorporate all of the controls from the console, and you just don't have enough buttons on Vita.  There are one or two things they could have cut, and that would have made all the difference in the world.  You don't really need a "switch to the next weapon" button, for example, because you have the entire D-pad dedicated to weapon selection.

Aside from that, all of the games I could think of that were just not good would need more/bigger changes than you're asking about to become actually good.  :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MacGamer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #940 on: July 27, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »

I got a couple topics for you guys.  Firstly, there have been several games that I have tried that I did not find engaging and unlike the usual "love something everyone hates or vice versa" it more came down to I understood why people would find it enjoyable, but it's not striking a chord with me.  What games have you guys encountered that exemplifies this?  Games you could agree are well crafted, even great games, but you just couldn't click with.

The second is tied to episode 83's shocking revelation, that Rob is tired of Dark Souls.  To me, when gamers go back and experience something again and again, two majority responses occur.  One, you are instantly reminded why you loved it, or two, you start to see the flaws and grow to dislike it.  IGN recently posted a review of Another World 20th Anniversary, and scored it poorly - prompting the usual angry response of "pansy" modern gamers "not getting it".  Coupling these two events with me replaying Paper Mario - my first experience with turn based rpgs - it got me wondering, can games "hold up" for an infinite amount of time or is fan burnout and disdain from modern gamers inevitable? 
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »

Question / prompt: What are some RPGs that are just okay or maybe average, because they're missing something?  Like, C+ RPGs that would become A- RPGs if they made one small-to-medium-sized adjustment or corrected one flaw.  I would love to hear each regular panelist provide an answer. 

I'd have to go through my backlog of reviews because I know I have several where I felt like a teacher screaming at a child "But you have so much potential!!!" 

First one that comes to mind is Fate/Extra.  Excellent visual novel, lousy RPG.  A few minor tweaks to the RPG elements (e.g. less vague battles and more interesting dungeons) and the game would have been better.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #942 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:57 PM »

Rob is right.

Joss Whedon is massively overrated.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »

^
I always have to add the disclaimer (so I don't get into a fight with my wife) that Cabin in the Woods was all sorts of awesome and Whedon did a much better job on The Avengers than I thought he would.  He still owes me twenty bucks for ruining my childhood with Alien Resurrection...

Great questions, ya'll.  Keep 'em coming! 
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 29, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »

Joss is overrated, agreed. But he is also still good. Both things can be accurate. :-)
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: