Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 10:19:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338671 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  DeathSpank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DeathSpank  (Read 2112 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »

It's Ron Gilbert's latest game, and it's coming July 13th for the PSN and July 14th for XBLA.

I'm pretty interested in it... but it's coming out the same week as Dragon Quest IX!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »

that name still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:37:32 AM »

Still not quite sure what this game is, but I have already been convinced to get it.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:28:26 AM »

In interviews, Ron Gilbert says it's a cross between Monkey Island and Diablo/action-RPG.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:01:01 AM »

very last image from this new gallery update is broken
figured someone would probably like to know that.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »

I spent a huge chunk of my weekend playing through DeathSpank. I love it. Combat is simple, but fun. there's plenty of loot to find, often with funny designs (or at least a funny description). I love the dialogue, the art style (it's wacky and colourful, you remember what colours are, right?), the way it puts weird spins it puts on typical Diablo styled quests. It all works really well. I get a general sense that it's probably going to be overlooked despite the fact it has Ron's name behind, which is a shame. It's a fun game dang it.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 11:37:40 AM »

Just to put the official RPGFan stamp of approval on this, I thought I should say that I am currently playing this game for a site review.

I won't spoil too much, but I will say that after several hours of playing co-op last night, I had to talk my wife into turning off the game and going to bed. :)  (She was playing as Sprinkles.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »

I get a general sense that it's probably going to be overlooked despite the fact it has Ron's name behind, which is a shame. It's a fun game dang it.

You could be right, I think it was a big mistake not releasing a PC version when that's the audience they seemed to have to been targeting it at (Monkey Island & Diablo).
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:07 AM »

Methinks they'll be a PC release sooner rather than later. No idea why they haven't announced it yet.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »

I'll be downloading this soon, very soon. I saw the gameplay trailer and loved the visuals and the gameplay looked really fun. The icing on the cake was knowing this was a game by the Monkey Island people, or at least one of them. This game does have co-op? I know Adam Sessler said it did in passing on an ep of Attack Of The Show, but I couldn't find any more info. Is it just co-op on the same console or can you play the campaign co-op online?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »

It's local co-op.  One player is Deathspank, the other plays as his buddy, Sprinkles the Wizard.  I talk about it a few times in my review, which should be up within the next few days.

—Kurt Vonnegut
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:09:12 AM »

Y'know, I wouldn't even mention it if you weren't reviewing it, but I'm pretty sure it's Sparkles the Wizard.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »

That is mighty strange.  I played through a pretty fair chunk of the game in co-op, and I was sure that it was Sprinkles... but now that I started it up again and looked specifically for his name, it is Sparkles.  Well, there goes my credibility. :)  Chalk it up to the fact that you only see his name at the point when the second player is in the process of joining.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »

This game is awesome. Pure, simple awesome. It's knocked Shadow Complex out of my "Best downloadable game ever" spot.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

Not to plug my own work too much, but I thought it was really interesting (maybe in a sad way) that in the roundtable interview I participated in and wrote up for the site, the developers said they plan to keep releasing things for download only because of how stifling the retail release process is.

So at least according to their impression, creativity really is being stifled out there.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: