Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ninokuni (Ghibli + Level 5 RPG) going PS3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Ninokuni (Ghibli + Level 5 RPG) going PS3  (Read 22419 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

If you add the W-RPGs things are even better:
Dark Souls
TES: Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
(And the recent releases of Deus Ex HR and Dead Island)

If we add Xenoblade and Skyward Sword for the Wii this list is simply paradise!

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »

Please don't call Dark Souls a wrpg. It was developed in Japan by japanese.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »

If you add the W-RPGs things are even better:
Dark Souls
TES: Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
(And the recent releases of Deus Ex HR and Dead Island)

If we add Xenoblade and Skyward Sword for the Wii this list is simply paradise!

Please don't call Dark Souls a wrpg. It was developed in Japan by japanese.

Given it's success here and style, easy to mess that up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »

It`s the underlying gameplay mechanics that matter here, not style. Japan has produced a number of dark fantasy/medieval themed RPGs over the years - From Software`s own King`s Field and Shadow Tower series, Square`s Vagrant Story, Nihon Falcom`s Xanadu Next, maybe a few others that escape my mind now, but despite their unusual(for Japanese games) art direction they are still Japanese games through and through.

And Demon`s Souls was actually quite successful in Japan too. The initial shipment was incredibly small - only 20,000 copies(From Software`s Shadow Tower: Abyss for the PS2 didn`t manage to sell even that, so I guess the expectations were low for Demon`s Souls), but after the first batch of Japanese gamers bought the game, the word of mouth quickly spread and it ended up selling 170,000 copies or so. It also hanged in the charts for quite a while after getting a budget re-release under "Playstation 3 The Best" label.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »

Early 2012 in America!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/events/tgs-2011/story.html?sid=6335002&pid=998014

FUCK YEAH!!!!

According to Hino, the PS3 will have additional story content that will pick off where the DS version ended.

Excellent news.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »

Looking more closely at the battle gameplay, I see that it's more involved than I previously thought. I might actually enjoy it now, especially since it's supposed to be more easy going, which might mean less grinding.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2011, 01:08:37 PM »

Early 2012 in America!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/events/tgs-2011/story.html?sid=6335002&pid=998014

FUCK YEAH!!!!

According to Hino, the PS3 will have additional story content that will pick off where the DS version ended.

And already confirmed post-release DLC. Why do companies have to ruin announcements with this kind of garbage.....

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »

More gameplay videos(the first one shows off town exploration):

http://file.ruliweb.com/mpeg5/tgs2011/ruliweb_nino01_tgs11_hd.wmv
http://file.ruliweb.com/mpeg5/tgs2011/ruliweb_nino02_tgs11_hd.wmv
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5840918/ni-no-kunis-gameplay-footage-shows-why-this-is-tgs-best+looking-game

This one shows a bit of everything.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »

If I didn't already own a PS3 I would go out and buy one right now. It looks like a dream materialized into a videogame.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »

It`s the underlying gameplay mechanics that matter here, not style. Japan has produced a number of dark fantasy/medieval themed RPGs over the years - From Software`s own King`s Field and Shadow Tower series, Square`s Vagrant Story, Nihon Falcom`s Xanadu Next, maybe a few others that escape my mind now, but despite their unusual(for Japanese games) art direction they are still Japanese games through and through.

While that's a valid point, the problem with that thought process is the fact Demon's Souls doesn't really conform with modern WRPGs anyway, even amongst older ones you'd probably be hard pressed to find a comparison that inherently blows away another Japanese comparison you can find. Arguably part of why it still counts as a "JRPG" as in "Japanese developed RPG", most of the modern ones are meant to be accessible and hand holding to an extent, with Fable III representing perhaps the logical conclusion of that path, whereas Demon's Souls seems designed to just be From Software making a game they would like to play, and the overlap with people outside the company was bonus. That, and there's just a FEEL to it that it's Japanese, it's just not some in your face moe bullshit or anything.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »

I think one thing japanese developers do better than their Western counterparts is melee. DS is a good example of that, the way you feel the impact of your sword hitting a shield and bouncing back or the weight of your sword when you swing it is something you don'ty usually find in Western games. They just know how to give it that umph.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2011, 04:18:53 PM »

Or how in Demon's Souls your character slides around and you fall to your death
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »

Or how in Demon's Souls your character slides around and you fall to your death

That only happens to noobs.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »

While that's a valid point, the problem with that thought process is the fact Demon's Souls doesn't really conform with modern WRPGs anyway, even amongst older ones you'd probably be hard pressed to find a comparison that inherently blows away another Japanese comparison you can find. Arguably part of why it still counts as a "JRPG" as in "Japanese developed RPG", most of the modern ones are meant to be accessible and hand holding to an extent, with Fable III representing perhaps the logical conclusion of that path, whereas Demon's Souls seems designed to just be From Software making a game they would like to play, and the overlap with people outside the company was bonus. That, and there's just a FEEL to it that it's Japanese, it's just not some in your face moe bullshit or anything.

Demon`s Souls having a distinctly Japanese feel to it was the point I was making. Hence I gave a few examples of other games that didn`t look like typical JRPGs but were still Japanese to the core. I guess I didn`t make myself very clear there.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: