Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338007 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ninokuni (Ghibli + Level 5 RPG) going PS3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Ninokuni (Ghibli + Level 5 RPG) going PS3  (Read 23331 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »

While that's a valid point, the problem with that thought process is the fact Demon's Souls doesn't really conform with modern WRPGs anyway, even amongst older ones you'd probably be hard pressed to find a comparison that inherently blows away another Japanese comparison you can find. Arguably part of why it still counts as a "JRPG" as in "Japanese developed RPG", most of the modern ones are meant to be accessible and hand holding to an extent, with Fable III representing perhaps the logical conclusion of that path, whereas Demon's Souls seems designed to just be From Software making a game they would like to play, and the overlap with people outside the company was bonus. That, and there's just a FEEL to it that it's Japanese, it's just not some in your face moe bullshit or anything.

Demon`s Souls having a distinctly Japanese feel to it was the point I was making. Hence I gave a few examples of other games that didn`t look like typical JRPGs but were still Japanese to the core. I guess I didn`t make myself very clear there.

Whoops. Still, it's piling on the idea of listing with WRPGs; you can argue that people that want a standard JRPG shouldn't look at that, you CAN'T just go "Well look at this WRPG coming out."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »

Rengoku, King's Field and Demon's/Dark Souls all are kind of a mish mash of Western and Japanese elements I thought.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2011, 08:09:45 PM »

When I put Dark Souls in the W-RPG side I wasn't paying attention. Nevertheless, it is a J-RPG but weather it feels more like a W-RPg is beside the point. I was just trying to remember a few of the incoming games that might be good.
While I liked Demon's Souls the frustration part went a little overboard for me, so of all of the games mentioned the one I would pick up the last would probably be Dark Souls.

Ni no Kuni on the other hand may become one of the best JRPGs this gen. It looks great, it's made by a developer that knows their stuff when it comes to RPG but most of the times have horrible storyline. The good part comes from the fact that Studio Ghibli is making the story so I think this one will hardly be bad.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »

Rengoku, King's Field and Demon's/Dark Souls all are kind of a mish mash of Western and Japanese elements I thought.

Technically all JRPGs are, or at least they have their origins in games that are hybrids (or outright Japanese takes on Western games.) Few people would really think of EO as a WRPG despite being more or less an homage to Wizardry, and DQ's THE JRPG despite basically being Yuji Hori/Chunsoft's take on Ultima. It's just the formula's changed so much for a lot of games that you wouldn't immediately consider, say, Persona as being anything but thoroughly Japanese in every aspect.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »

Direct feed footage (skip the chatter at the start of the video):

http://tgs.playstation.jp/info/live/index03.html

Mindblowing.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »

I've recently read that this game (at least the DS version) actually pretty mediocre despite it's incredible art. =/
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »

I've recently read that this game (at least the DS version) actually pretty mediocre despite it's incredible art. =/

That's just the DS version. I saw some videos of it and it looked pretty mediocre. The PS3 version, on the other hand, looks incredible.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »

It's a bit confusing talking about the DS 'version' or PS3 'version', anyway.  Yeah, I know, they have the same title so it's sort of natural that people do that, but they're actually completely different games.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »

It's a bit confusing talking about the DS 'version' or PS3 'version', anyway.  Yeah, I know, they have the same title so it's sort of natural that people do that, but they're actually completely different games.

It's still a valid word actually. Just in this case it's less like talking about the 360/PS3 versions and more the the book and movie versions of a story. They work off the same basic story/cast of characters, but go their own way and are different ways of experiencing it entirely.
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »

That's just the DS version. I saw some videos of it and it looked pretty mediocre. The PS3 version, on the other hand, looks incredible.

Ah cool. I'II keep an eye on it at least.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »

Ah cool. I'II keep an eye on it at least.

To be fair, this is the only negative word I've found on either version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZlL-fZmBM

Take that for what you will. Everyone else has been positive about them.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »

From what I recall, the DS game's sales started out slow, then picked up after positive reviews/impressions.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »

Good news!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/10/03/studio-ghibli-39-s-level-5-team-up-gets-a-new-name-for-north-america.aspx
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »

Fantastic news.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »

I like this title even though I'm not a fan when they change titles at least Ni no Kuni could be a little hard to promote and it's hardly the subtitle of the game, so it's hardly changing it.
If it's really coming in the beginning of 2012 I just hope it won't get shadowed by XIII-2 and Mass Effect 3.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: