Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319595 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 54166 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »

Parasite Eve 2 is basically Resident Evil +.
It has more weapons, more customization, more enemies, more skills, more environments, the like.
This sounds good on paper, but the problem with this is the "more enemies" part. Parasite Eve 2 uses the Resident Evil control scheme. In the earlier REs, enemies are easy to avoid and dodge, not so much in PE2, since they are faster and have a wider variety of attack types.  The best part is that the game is actually challenging, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

That said, I love PE2 despite its flaws, but I'm also a huge early-RE fan. This definitely doesn't look PE2-ish.  

As for why it's called The Third Birthday
Code:
The ending you get at the end of Parasite Eve isn't the "canon" ending.  You need to reach the top of the Chrysler
building to get it.  At the end of the Chrysler building, Aya's Mitochondrial powers weaken and go partially dormant from
lack  of use, only to reawaken in PE2.  That's why there are scenes in PE2 with Aya causing spontaneous combustion,
something only Eve could do in PE1.  You'll notice during the scene before the game turns to "Night" that Aya goes into
her "Liberation" form,  the final skill in first Parasite Eve and what would also be the equivalent of her being overtaken like
Melissa Pierce, but controlling herself rather than letting it control her.

Movie related, what I'm talking about is at 2:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923rCo5fCVU&feature=related
This one is better quality and doesn't glitch up like the above, but you have to wait until 9:00 or so to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TC1BGwEwyU

I'm assuming at the end of PE2 Aya's powers slowly go dormant again since she doesn't use them.
"The Third Birthday" means that they are going to be necessary for a third time.

Also, since someone asked yes, she is completely human.  It's her mtDNA that was altered.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:46:44 PM by Cyril » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

I haven't played this series yet but I'm looking forward to finding out if it's a good one to start with.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »

Parasite Eve 2 is basically Resident Evil +.
It has more weapons, more customization, more enemies, more skills, more environments, the like.
This sounds good on paper, but the problem with this is the "more enemies" part. Parasite Eve 2 uses the Resident Evil control scheme. In the earlier REs, enemies are easy to avoid and dodge, not so much in PE2, since they are faster and have a wider variety of attack types.  The best part is that the game is actually challenging, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

That said, I love PE2 despite its flaws, but I'm also a huge early-RE fan. This definitely doesn't look PE2-ish.  

As for why it's called The Third Birthday
Code:
The ending you get at the end of Parasite Eve isn't the "canon" ending.  You need to reach the top of the Chrysler
building to get it.  At the end of the Chrysler building, Aya's Mitochondrial powers weaken and go partially dormant from
lack  of use, only to reawaken in PE2.  That's why there are scenes in PE2 with Aya causing spontaneous combustion,
something only Eve could do in PE1.  You'll notice during the scene before the game turns to "Night" that Aya goes into
her "Liberation" form,  the final skill in first Parasite Eve and what would also be the equivalent of her being overtaken like
Melissa Pierce, but controlling herself rather than letting it control her.

Movie related, what I'm talking about is at 2:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923rCo5fCVU&feature=related
This one is better quality and doesn't glitch up like the above, but you have to wait until 9:00 or so to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TC1BGwEwyU

I'm assuming at the end of PE2 Aya's powers slowly go dormant again since she doesn't use them.
"The Third Birthday" means that they are going to be necessary for a third time.

Also, since someone asked yes, she is completely human.  It's her mtDNA that was altered.

Forgive me for taking this further than it needs to go, but that explanation still doesn't cover the "birthday" angle. Why couldn't they subtitle it something a bit more mature sounding, like what I said in my previous post. For a series that tends to play out on the darker side of things the name just sounds silly to me. Are they changing it for US release?
Granted, I don't even have a psp, so all this means nothing to me. I was just surprised that no had said anything about the stupid subtitle.
And No, Faded, the name would not affect my buying decision. If the game is good, I would buy it regardless.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »

There is another reason why it may be called a "Third Birth," but without going into the details of the series it will be a bit hard to understand.  Just know that the first Parasite Eve game is, quite literally, about a woman giving birth, as well as hypothetically in mtDNA and idea of all mtDNA (inherited through Mothers) arising from some ~7 sources.  The second game has a similar theme, but it's more of a different type of "birth." Less literal.  As for the Third, well who can say?  Aya has definitely "evolved" to an extent compared to the last games, though.  That or we're actually going to play the girl ("Eve") from PE2 and SE is pulling a Kojima on us.

To me it makes sense why they would title it as they did, but I think I'd prefer "The Third Birth" over the "Third Birthday."
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »

looks like she has been getting fashion advice from Lune Zoldark....

i hope the re-release the original two games or at least put them on psn.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 08:02:19 PM »

Well... Square Enix doesn't have the rights to the license anymore. The autor of the Novel/Book has all the rights of the Parasite Eve games on the PSone.

And better yet, Squaresoft (in it's time) has never made a reprint of the first game. Nowadays a physical copy of the original Parasite Eve is pretty much a "collector's item". Parasite Eve II had a re-release, But it remains doubtful whether we will see these games on the PSN.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »

you learn something new every day! and here i thought parasite eve was an original creation of of squares.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »

And better yet, Squaresoft (in it's time) has never made a reprint of the first game.

???
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »

^And I'm like: "What!?"
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »

She still dresses better than most female characters. I love modern settings.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »

She still dresses better than most female characters. I love modern settings.

Even if it looks like she spent thousands of dollars purchasing those jeans from some high fashion designer line.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »

Well... Square Enix doesn't have the rights to the license anymore. The autor of the Novel/Book has all the rights of the Parasite Eve games on the PSone.

And better yet, Squaresoft (in it's time) has never made a reprint of the first game. Nowadays a physical copy of the original Parasite Eve is pretty much a "collector's item". Parasite Eve II had a re-release, But it remains doubtful whether we will see these games on the PSN.

Brand new it's a collectors item, but you can get it used off amazon for $17. Brand new, people are asking $130. Haha!

"Oh, a hunter..."
Wingman

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »

I might have to start a new game of Parasite Eve if I can get around to it. I haven't played it since 2001. Third Birthday looks awesome.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »

I lost my copy of Parasite Eve 1.Can I get a PSN download,Sony?

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2010/062810a.html

Some actual details about the game itself for once including gameplay screens.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: