Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 02:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330093 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 57174 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2010, 07:32:24 AM »

Personally I see torn clothes in PE3 at about the same level as all the innuendo in Ar Tonelico 2. It might be "realistic" within the context  of that world but to those of us looking at the outside in it's blatant fan service and an annoyance when built into the core gameplay (I'm looking at you X-Blades).

This actually makes me pine for the days when "fanservice" was just a quick 30 seconds of FMV of random anime girl #19 in random hot spring #145 covered by copious amounts of steam as the hero stumbles in. It was quick, simple, and we never had to bother with it again for the rest of the game. XD

Not true since a set up like that would've required at least one full area to be designed to accommodate said hotsprings and all for a bit of service that's over before it starts. You don't even have the time for a full WoodMan nevermind actually finding anything worth a damn to get a HardMan on to begin with.

Plus, it requires at least one token female party member, and that in of itself is entirely too much fanservice (given how they dress and how utterly useless they are outside of healing and damsels in distress roles). I'd rather play through a 200 hour JRPG/Interactive Movie with nothing but a bunch of bald, sweaty, shirtless, muscle-bound, space marines armed with weapons that make sense such as chainsaw, missile & grenade launching, flamethrowing, railgun vulcan tactical nuke sniper lightsaber gunblades the size of a Volkswagen in each hand. And every other word has to be a swear (because the rest of the dialog must consist of nothing but grunting).

Lol, bravo for the satire. Points for that. *sincere applause*

Although I think you might've misunderstood my position/I probably phrased my point a bit too liberally. I don't mind minor elements of it. Fanservice always has and always will exist but personally I prefer mine in smaller doses. The amount in which it is doled out in modern games, in my opinion, is a bit extreme. Especially with more and more titles starting to make Final Fantasy X-2 look like a sincere attempt at character development. It's almost to the point where it makes me go "You know...Japan has an entire genre devoted to this stuff. If I wanted it that badly I'd go play one of those games."

At this point it doesn't really matter. Namely because its incredibly rare for any female JRPG character to serve any purpose beyond being the girl next door magical healer type. The common JRPG party is usually comprised of "The Main Character" and is always an average male teenager, either "Mysterious Female" or "Childhood Friend" and is always a female teenager, and "The Other Guy" usually either big and tall or short and annoying, young or old, and is either another male or a furry. And at this point it feels like the female character is only female for the sake of boobs/having someone to swoon over the main character.

Though ultimately JRPG characters are so badly written and or recycled that at this point, why not? I kinda like the idea of characters having to manage what they wear instead of having to stare at the same gaudy asymmetrical design on the same guy for the next 100+ hours. Plus, IMO, the best designs are on other characters anyway and being allowed to change outfits to match that is highly preferable to me. And deteriorating outfits would actually be a preferable reason to changing outfits than just stats since stats usually lead to forced optimization which really limits your choices.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »

I personally don't give a shit. I just get to kick ass as Aya Brea again. ;}
This.Fan Service in PE3 is at an acceptable level

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »

My tolerance for that kind of thing is pretty high.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:21 PM »

My tolerance for that kind of thing is pretty high.

Hahahaha

Speaking of fan service,Parasite Eve 3 won't have a shower scene like part 2.

I'm sorely disappointed as we all miss out seeing Aya brea showering for our milfshake loving fantasies.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »

Its unnecessary honestly. Like someone said before, if this was suppose to be realistic, she would be wearing some armor or at least Kevlar gear. I'm just tired of developers taking the easy way out to attract old and new audiences to their games by having a crappy gimmick like clothes tearing.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »

Hahahaha

Speaking of fan service,Parasite Eve 3 won't have a shower scene like part 2.

I'm sorely disappointed as we all miss out seeing Aya brea showering for our milfshake loving fantasies.

So we get tearing clothes but no shower scene?

Can I hear a boo?

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »

Maybe we get a sex scene.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2010, 08:45:05 AM »

Maybe we get a sex scene.

Considering the primary mechanics of PE3...that's just premium grade nightmare fuel right there...
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2010, 06:47:59 AM »

Sorry, but Aya was always about fanservice. I don't know why it's suddenly such a big fucking deal now. :P

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2010, 08:14:46 AM »

Sorry, but Aya was always about fanservice. I don't know why it's suddenly such a big fucking deal now. :P

Well, Nomura himself said that the concept of tearing clothes is essential. Since when was fanservice an "essential mechanic" in Parasite Eve games?

Anyways, let's not blow this out of proportion and discuss the shower scene that only Square-Enix jerks got to see in order to tease us.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2010, 08:28:55 AM »

"I personally don't think that a shower scene is necessary, but you'd definitely want to see how realistic it has become. It looked like a real picture."

Are you kidding me? That's like the biggest tease ever! But yeah, all those fan service nonsense is being blown out of proportion, like Dizzy said it has always been a part of the franchise. That being said, it's weird that they actually created a shower scene and aren't going to include it in the game.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »

Since when was fanservice an "essential mechanic" in Parasite Eve games?
With the way the art direction for the series has gone a decade ago, it was just waiting to happen. I'm not surprised that it finally did. :P

On a semi-related note, Eve's final form was actually kinda hot. :l
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:55:04 AM by Dizzy » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »

On a semi-related note, Eve's final form was actually kinda hot. :l

Well, looking the comments from the video you're not alone...

not to b freaky but id tap that :O

That's cute. :T
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/18/ominous-voice-blows-the-lid-off-the-3rd-birthdays-story/

New Trailer.

The music sounds like PE1's, I love it.  Honestly, I don't really like how they keep making new "special" groups, though.  First it was MIST,, now, erm, CIT?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:02:18 PM by Cyril » Logged
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »

God damn, that music makes me pretty happy~

I'm so excited for this game.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:47:39 PM by Dizzy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »