Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319175 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 54044 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »

Good trailer, I'm excited. :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »

Watch it in HD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJ4aJN6Qfc&hd=1

Or just watch this for regular quality with English subtitles:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBZUJagxl4

Anything in the PE universe is good enough for me. But the game looks more like a regular 3rd person shooter now. Digging the music btw.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:04:23 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »

I'm suspecting that this entry will be my least favorite of the series but thats not saying thats a bad thing.  Of course, this game could surprise me and end up being my favorite,lol.  I'll definitely be playing PE 1 & 2 again right before the release of The 3rd Birthday.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2010, 12:31:01 AM »

Tabata said via Twitter that the game would not see a return of Parasite Eve II's shower scene. In response to Famitsu's question about this, Kitase said, "There is a shower room on the map, used as a break room for the CTI soldiers. I'm not sure if it will or will not be used in the way that fans are hoping, though.

God damn it! Spit it out already!

Also, new info here including the control scheme:-

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/22/kitase_3rd_birthday_interview/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:41:11 AM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »

Something i'm kinda meh about with The 3rd Birthday.  This dive feature they talk about, you technically don't play as Aya in this game?  She is always in this CTI room?  This sounds weird but maybe it will be ok once I actually play it.  Whats the reason for this?

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2010, 01:27:36 AM »

I'm suspecting that this entry will be my least favorite of the series but thats not saying thats a bad thing. 

For me it's almost impossible for it to be worst then PE2. I hated it so much ...
The worst thing is that it wasn't only hate but disappointment too so it's that thing that is kinda hard to swallow.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Kitase Interview
"...a first playable build of the upcoming PSP disintegrating jeans action title exclusively for attending press to sample.

...wow, just...wow. So the game series that started off as one of the first and great cinematic RPGs of the prior decade has turned into something only summarized as a "disintegrating jeans action title"?  Is this even an RPG anymore?

*sigh*...thank you so much Japan for taking yet another beloved franchise and raping it into a horrid shell of it's former self. :-/ Maybe Japanese developers need to just stop making games for a year and re-discover what actually made the classic games so good to begin with.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »

"...a first playable build of the upcoming PSP disintegrating jeans action title exclusively for attending press to sample.

...wow, just...wow. So the game series that started off as one of the first and great cinematic RPGs of the prior decade has turned into something only summarized as a "disintegrating jeans action title"?  Is this even an RPG anymore?

*sigh*...thank you so much Japan for taking yet another beloved franchise and raping it into a horrid shell of it's former self. :-/ Maybe Japanese developers need to just stop making games for a year and re-discover what actually made the classic games so good to begin with.

So just because some pseudo-journalist calls it that the game is automatically crap? Wow, that's amazing! OMG japan you suck!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »

So just because some pseudo-journalist calls it that the game is automatically crap? Wow, that's amazing! OMG japan you suck!

Y'know normally I might agree my statement is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction except Japan already has a track record for taking gold and turning it into turd. Sonic the Hedgehog anyone? Just to name the most infamous example.

My question still stands as valid. I've seen nothing presented from The 3rd Birthday so far to even make me think it would be an RPG aside from it's connection to the original PE.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:50:45 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

If it ended up being a fresh, entertaining game would you still be disappointed it isn't an RPG? The original game wasn't exactly a traditional RPG as it was by any measure so I don't think falling into a specific genre matters much for them.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »

If it ended up being a fresh, entertaining game would you still be disappointed it isn't an RPG? The original game wasn't exactly a traditional RPG as it was by any measure so I don't think falling into a specific genre matters much for them.

Quite frankly, yes. I have no real interest in FPS games which this is shaping up to be. The original was not a traditional RPG, no. But that's what made it so memorable for me. Honestly I think it was easily a decade ahead of its time because if you compare the systems used in PE to that of Fallout 3's VATS combat they look remarkably similar minus the whole SPECIAL system to customize your main character.

I don't mind Hybrids so long as they are heavier on the RPG emphasis than the other genre/s fused in with them. That's part of the reason I disliked PE2 is because they chopped out a bit more of the RPG elements in exchange for something that felt more like Survival Horror due to the tank like controls and real time main attacks.

So far between the screen shots and demos I've seen of this game it looks greatly like there are little to no RPG elements within the gameplay system. Even the control scheme is screaming "This is a FPS title." Unless for some reason the in-battle menu will be linked to the Start/Select buttons...which will be a nightmare in itself.

Honestly if this game was named anything else with any other main character I wouldn't have a problem with it. But because it's a "Parasite Eve" game which is supposed to be an RPG series...it bugs me, endlessly. I thought SquareEnix learned the last time what happens when you take an RPG series and tack on FPS gameplay as the major style; it blows chunks. (I'm looking at you Dirge of Cerberus.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:42:18 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2010, 11:18:27 PM »

You're missing the biggest point of them all:

The game is not a FPS.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »

I think he meant to say "Third Person Shooter".
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »

FPS...TPS...I should just go back to calling them "Shooters". XD Nice, simple and they're basically the same thing. Point gun, pull trigger, kill enemy.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:45 AM »

FPS...TPS...I should just go back to calling them "Shooters". XD Nice, simple and they're basically the same thing. Point gun, pull trigger, kill enemy.

...Yeah, whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: