Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334414 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 58684 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2010, 02:15:13 AM »

FPS...TPS...I should just go back to calling them "Shooters". XD Nice, simple and they're basically the same thing. Point gun, pull trigger, kill enemy.

...Yeah, whatever.

Come now if you're going to respond that way at least explain the difference or at least where my summary is wrong. *shrugs* I've never been a big shooter fan, so aside from spending some quarters in the Arcade for some Time Crisis 3 nearly 10 years ago and hearing people go on endlessly about Halo and Modern Warfare my knowledge of the genre is honestly quite limited.

What more is there to a shooter than point, shoot, kill, repeat?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »

FPS...TPS...I should just go back to calling them "Shooters". XD Nice, simple and they're basically the same thing. Point gun, pull trigger, kill enemy.

...Yeah, whatever.

Come now if you're going to respond that way at least explain the difference or at least where my summary is wrong. *shrugs* I've never been a big shooter fan, so aside from spending some quarters in the Arcade for some Time Crisis 3 nearly 10 years ago and hearing people go on endlessly about Halo and Modern Warfare my knowledge of the genre is honestly quite limited.

What more is there to a shooter than point, shoot, kill, repeat?

Uncharted is a shooter and there's platforming, puzzle solving... things you don't find in modern warfare or halo. Of course the main gameplay mechanic is shooting but there's a difference between FPS and TPS. But if you don't like shooters you probably wont like either, that's true. I can see how someone who hates shooters might be put off by the trailers but I like shooters so to me the game looks interesting though I guess I was expecting something more close to a traditional rpg too.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »

I really dislike a pure FPS, but I can really get into a good Third Person shooter.  I prefer my third person shooters to have platforming and adventure elements, possible item collection and an upgrade system.

Honestly, saying they are the same is an incredibly closed-minded statement and makes me wonder if you've played any at all.  That's even more closed-minded than people who say God of War and Devil May Cry are the same.  If you can't even tell the difference between the two, I think you're judging both genres a bit too early.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »

Even FPSs can break the mold.  Look at a game like Portal.  The mechanics of play are identical to your average FPS but really you can't even classify it as a shooter.  It's a first person puzzle game.

A more conventional example of a FPS that breaks the mold would be Bioshock.  Sure you shoot things, but you do so as you explore an Ayn Randian distopia.  There is a heck of a lot more to it than "point, shoot, kill, repeat".  The fact that you even make that statement indicates incredible ignorance of the genre.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »

See, this is why I asked if you'd still be disappointed if it were fresh. If it was pretty much just 'kill enemies but with a potentially more appealing character than you'd get in Gears of War' then you'd be perfectly right in this complaint. Body hijacking sounds interesting though if they allow it to go behind 'switch positions easily' (though MindJack has too similar of a concept...) , and there may be plenty of wrinkles that no one will really know about until they have some hands on experience.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »

I haven't been keeping up with this, and just saw the trailer. I mean....they aren't calling it PE, and I can see why. It seems to play absolutely NOTHING like the original 2 did....which could be good or bad, but won't be Parasite Eve. For now, my excitement is low for this one.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »

They aren't calling it Parasite Eve because they don't have the license, not because it isn't similar.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »

Wait, what? I never heard of this, so can someone explain? Is it not SE that made the originals? I know there is a novel that shares the name....I think, but I always thought it was unrelated. Still, it really is nothing like the original two, from the videos. Not that the first two were that similar either, but yeah.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2010, 03:40:30 AM »

Fucking Nomura wants to release Parasite Eve (one and two) on the PlayStation Network before launching The 3rd Birthday to the street according to Siliconera.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2010, 03:53:55 AM »

I don't see why that's a bad thing.  More people will get to play the games.

Why are we complaining again?
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2010, 03:54:17 AM »

Fucking Nomura wants to release Parasite Eve (one and two) on the PlayStation Network before launching The 3rd Birthday to the street according to Siliconera.

Which is Awesome. It means I'll be able to get PE:2 without hassle and hopefully cheap. It already took way too much effort to get the first PE. Also, it's good for those who haven't played the games.

BTW I'm looking forward to Third Birthday, although I am keeping my expectations low.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »

I don't see why that's a bad thing.  More people will get to play the games.

Why are we complaining again?

Sorry, I'm one of these "Nomura haters". The 3rd Birthday is cool, sexy and awesome (but still, keep your guard up for disappointment just in case).
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »

Suddenly, your post makes a whole lot more sense. Gotta agree on being weary, that's why I don't wanna get too hyped for this. It's got 3 things in it's favour though, Aya Brea, Yoko Shimomura and Hajime Tabata (I was very pleased with how he handled Crisis Core even when I expected it to suck).

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »

Suddenly, your post makes a whole lot more sense. Gotta agree on being weary, that's why I don't wanna get too hyped for this. It's got 3 things in it's favour though, Aya Brea, Yoko Shimomura and Hajime Tabata (I was very pleased with how he handled Crisis Core even when I expected it to suck).

Yeah I was pleased with that as well.At first I thought it was a cash in but it certainly was better than I expected.

I like Nomura so I have full confidence in 3rd birthday

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »

The only thing im excited for with The 3rd Birthday is Shimomura :)

Not saying this game is gonna suck, it won't sell that good in America but whatever, im buying it, thats all that matters.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: