Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 06:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332945 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 57895 times)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/11/aya_brea_clothes_torn/

Disgraceful. But I think it demonstrates Aya's health in a way you can't miss.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »

I'm actually fond of the more "visual" type of ways of showing health depletion.  I think RE: CV (On the DC, not the PS2) did it best, where you can look at the character's stagger as well as just looking down on your controller to see just how low it was without having to open the menu.

Now I don't play Parasite Eve because I think Aya is sexy/hot/whatever, but purely from a standpoint of efficiency I can see it being useful to judge Aya's condition.  Admittedly, it's obviously just fanservice, maybe they're trying to get the younger male crowd with this? kind of like how you know a lot of the younger people bought the first God of War for the breasts and sex scene.

I also don't understand the "Nomura hate" on this game.  Nomura isn't even directing it! It's being developed by Hexadrive.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2010, 12:50:57 AM »

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/11/aya_brea_clothes_torn/

Disgraceful. But I think it demonstrates Aya's health in a way you can't miss.

Wow...that screenshot just about killed even the original Parasite Eve for me. It's a dark day when one of video gaming's few competent, likable, strong, and sensible female protagonists is lowered to this level of debauchery. I'm not even sure I'd want to pay for the original should it come out on PSN because the money will most likely go to supporting these pigs. *shakes head* Not even X-Blades (from the few videos I've seen) was this racy; and that's saying something.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »

Parasite Eve has always been pretty blatant on the fan service. Have you seen Nomura's original art for Aya?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:14 AM »

Yeah, I brought that up a few pages ago, myself, as well as Eve's delicious mammary in the game itself. Seriously, fan-service in a PE game should probably be the LEAST of your worries. :P

No one gave a shit about Samus' armor blowing up in Super Metroid's game over animation over a decade ago. Now all of a sudden, tearing clothes in this series (which had a lot of fan-service to begin with) is like the end of the world. Good god, some people are babies.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:25:15 AM by Dizzy » Logged

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »

What is fan-service exactly?

I'm a fan and this doesn't serve me anything.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:49 AM »

LOL, this really is a huge problem for some people isn't it?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »

No one gave a shit about Samus' armor blowing up in Super Metroid's game over animation over a decade ago.

That's because Samus's armor blowing up was really really utilitarian and un-sexualized. The screen goes white and you can bearly even make out more than a silhouette. It was so anti-fanservice that noone made a stink, and for good reason. Don't even compare that to this, okay? This *IS* viable fanservice. You see prolonged footage of a woman's clothing ravaged and torn over her mostly-naked, mostly-defenseless body. If that isn't sexualization, I don't know what is.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »

That's because Samus's armor blowing up was really really utilitarian and un-sexualized.
Sorry, but that wasn't the case for me... Heheheh... ;} I mean, *cough*, shit, where was I?

The screen goes white and you can bearly even make out more than a silhouette. It was so anti-fanservice that noone made a stink, and for good reason. Don't even compare that to this, okay? This *IS* viable fanservice.

Mmm, delicious 16-Bit skin. And I didn't mean to compare the levels of fan-service as an example, but the fact of its existence. It was the only example I could think of at the time. Yes, I am well aware that the exposure is only for a few seconds, compared to a prolonged exposure in 3rd Birthday. But viable or not, it's still there, and it certainly looks like it's depicting a 'mostly-naked' and 'mostly-defenseless' body, to me. Sorry, but this shit's all the same to me.

You see prolonged footage of a woman's clothing ravaged and torn over her mostly-naked, mostly-defenseless body. If that isn't sexualization, I don't know what is.
I am not denying this, but the series has always sexualized Aya and Eve in a matter that I have to ask "Why is it a big deal NOW all of a sudden?" Maybe I'm just being apathetic on the matter, 'cause in the end, I honestly don't care as long as the game-play is fun, and the Shimomura music remains awesome.

I think it's also worth mentioning that this kind of fan-service does nothing for me now, but its become so prominent in the series that I don't even see what the big deal is. They would have done it sooner if the PSOne didn't have to rely so heavily on CG scenes to show that kind of thing. Every other aspect of video games evolved with technology, so I don't see why fan-service wouldn't.

LOL, this really is a huge problem for some people isn't it?
I should have just said this. :P

ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »

While the clothes tearing is the least of my worries when it comes to this game, it just shows they are spending time/money on something that is only designed to give nerds boners. That's it. It adds nothing to the game at all. Add this to the fact that I highly doubt SE is going to do ANYTHING gameplay-wise that will blow anyone away on the PSP, and it just comes off as silly. People who get offended by this need to grow up of course, but I call it as I see it. And that is, just as immature as anything in the DOA series, for example. It's silly.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:19 AM »

People who get offended by this need to grow up of course, but I call it as I see it. And that is, just as immature as anything in the DOA series, for example. It's silly.
You just contradicted yourself there ya know.

Well there is no use complaining now since the game will have that feature whether we like it or not. Besides, there is a Life bar indicating Aya's health so it's not like their prioritizing getting her undressed.

We should just drop this topic already... God damn it.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »

Parasite Eve has always been pretty blatant on the fan service. Have you seen Nomura's original art for Aya?

That is irrelevant because that art was never turned into in game graphics for Parasite Eve. Unless there's some super secret unlock code where you can have Aya's PS1 pixelated rear shoved in your face while running around in game.

And ValendianKnight I think you're missing the point here. It's not a matter of "offensive material". Hell PE1 had some element of nudity but at least that was used tastefully and with purpose. It's that very "immaturity" you cited that's causing issue here. Aya was, for all intents an purposes, a "mature" character I could take seriously an empathize with in the story. The setting was dark, the main character was believable, and over all the story took itself seriously.

Now The 3rd Birthday goes along and some idiot decides to let Bevis and Butthead program it.

"Heh heh...hey Bevis...look...her butt's hanging out, heh heh. That'll totally make the game sell...heh heh."

This level immaturity doesn't belong in the PE universe, especially applied to Aya. It's the kind of crap I would expect from a Compile Heart game or NISA's more immature translation moments (Record of Agarest War and Ar Tonelico 2 comes to mind); not from something out of the PE series.

If this game had anyone else as the main character and wasn't bearing the Parasite Eve name I wouldn't care. I'd roll my eyes and let it join the other hoards of fanservicy games that come from Japan on a weekly basis. But the fact that they're, almost literally, raping Aya as a character outright without all the subtly of a 12 year old hyped up on sugar who just hit puberty and discovered the internet...that irritates me to no end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:25:51 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »

This level immaturity doesn't belong in the PE universe, especially applied to Aya. It's the kind of crap I would expect from a Compile Heart game or NISA's more immature translation moments (Record of Agarest War and Ar Tonelico 2 comes to mind); not from something out of the PE series.

NISA had nothing to do wth Agarest War.  That was Aksys.

If this game had anyone else as the main character and wasn't bearing the Parasite Eve name I wouldn't care. I'd roll my eyes and let it join the other hoards of fanservicy games that come from Japan on a weekly basis. But the fact that they're, almost literally, raping Aya as a character outright without all the subtly of a 12 year old hyped up on sugar who just hit puberty and discovered the internet...that irritates me to no end.

Right, because showing some skin = rape...

*Kevadu rolls eyes.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »

NISA had nothing to do wth Agarest War.  That was Aksys.

Right, because showing some skin = rape...

*Kevadu rolls eyes.

I think he meant that they're not taking Aya seriously as a character. They'd rather use silly fan service like this than evolve her as a real character.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »

It's official, you can't play this game in public.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: