Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335183 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 59038 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »

I hope there is a Chocobo costume.

I actually find the Lightning costume looked sort of super-imposed... I don't like it that much on Aya.  Nice to get a glimpse at what's under I guess.  This seems a bit too convenient though - I wonder what other outfits they may put in.

But, and so far it seems, that Squeenix is making their best effort to speed up this game and (hopefully) modernize it effectively.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »

Finally decided to watch the new trailer and I'm left with feeling:

-As a successor to an RPG Franchise that has left a distinct impression on my childhood...it sucks, terribly. The game looks downright horrific for a Parasite Eve title.

-As a random shooter in an already flooded market that totally has the wrong title, it looks quite above average.

Seriously; Cyber Mind Diving? A female protagonist that will spend most of the game with less than the average amount of clothing? A world with access to futuristic computer technology? This isn't Parasite Eve 3, this is Ghost in the Shell 3. XD If this game had run under the GitS title it would be amazing simply because it lends itself to that world so much better. Not so much the PE universe.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

The game look fantastic - and if they can speed up the original PE-format then I'm sold.

And modern squeenix likes a bit of exhibitionism (of female body parts).  It's not any different than how anime's do it either; it's just the squeenix uses more realistic americasian hybrid people to do it.  (....Sazh is totally blackanese)

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2010, 01:15:44 AM »

-As a successor to an RPG Franchise that has left a distinct impression on my childhood...it sucks, terribly. The game looks downright horrific for a Parasite Eve title.
Take off the nostalgia goggles - Parasite Eve looks horrible by today's standards.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:53 AM »

Take off the nostalgia goggles - Parasite Eve looks horrible by today's standards.

Pfft, what are you talking about...?!.
Just kidding.  I think I'd die of bored before finishing nowadays sadly...  I can barely play FF7 and I love it more than my dog.  Or did.... my pup is adorable.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »

I'm officially excited again for The 3rd Birthday!  The music had me pumped.  I hope a soundtrack will be released shortly so I can go ahead and pre-order it.  I also hope they re-release the soundtrack for PE1 as I was unlucky to snag me a copy of it.

Buying a copy of the PE Soundtrack was one of the best (and luckiest, now that I think of it) decisions I've made.  A lot of the songs are just great listening out of the game, not to mention they criminally underused two or three songs - one of the best being only available if you're running through the Chrysler Building 70+.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »

Sorry, I think I used the wrong word choice. When I say "looks" I am not referring to the game's graphical quality. The cutscenes are gorgeous, the game graphics are far beyond average; for a visual grade alone I would rate the game A+.

When I say "It looks terrible", what I mean is if you removed Aya and the Parasite Eve theme then it would "look" nothing like a Parasite Eve game. The themes in it are all wrong. Parasite Eve used to be a game series about fighting mutated, mostly animalistic creatures, in a modern setting with slight "magical" over tones due to the Parasite Powers (which were explained by Pseudo-Science logic.)

Now look at The 3rd Birthday, it uses paints a picture of a society that has technology well beyond modern day level (perhaps even beyond 20+ years from now), has a lot of Sci-Fi themes that are shared with the Ghost in the Shell series (hence why I still say it would fare far better as a GitS game), is filled with unimaginative tentacle monsters instead of unique and genuinely horrifying creatures that look like mutated abominations of familiar beasts, and just in general reeks of a misplaced story (Aya seems to be doing a lot of flying too ala Kingdom Hearts style, apparently realism has been completely abandoned despite being a part of the previous two installments.)

As someone who plays games for their story and as someone who enjoys good stories in general, I like to have plot and theme consistency. This...is not consistency. This is the equivalent of releasing Fallout 4 where the game takes place on a star ship that has a colony that simulates 1980's non-post-nuclear America. Sure that might be a "great" game by graphical and gameplay standards but it's not a "Fallout" game by theme and setting standards. Thus is the problem I'm having with The 3rd Birthday as it is currently presented.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:25:39 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »

The graphics may not look that great today but that doesn't effect the story, music, characters or gameplay. 

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »

OK people stop complaining for a minute.

The 3rd Birthday and Final Fantasy XIII Promotional Boxes.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »

The back of the box for The 3rd Birthday says "Parasite Eve's main character appears as a reborn Aya Brea. She's lost the memories of her past. Can she save humanity from despair?"

So if the massive changes to theme, setting, and gameplay weren't enough there's now the chance that they're trying to do a complete series reboot ala the amnesia mechanic? Exactly what was so horrifyingly bad about the first two games that they feel the need to remove themselves as far from them as possible?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »

There's some wierd copyright stuff with the "Parasite Eve" name for what I can remember. I might be wrong though.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »

Does it have anything to do with that weird and mostly unrelated Japanese live action Parasite Eve movie? XD
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

Yeah, something like that. The first two games were based/inspired on the novel, movie... or something for what I understand, and also I think that's the main reason why we didn't see a Parasite Eve game for so much time.

But, who cares right? This game have tentacles and fanservice.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »

The game is based off of a book by the same name ("Parasite Eve").  The movie, too, is based off of the book.  Actually, now that I look it up it seems like it was finally published in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »

Hmm, y'know as stereotypical as the track record is for Movie based Video Games = Crap; I have to wonder what the standard is for Novel based Video Games. If it's actually positive like the original Parasite Eve maybe that's where the industry should be looking to adapt source material from instead.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: