Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 06:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The 3rd Birthday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35 Print
Author Topic: The 3rd Birthday  (Read 58826 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »

Hmm, y'know as stereotypical as the track record is for Movie based Video Games = Crap; I have to wonder what the standard is for Novel based Video Games. If it's actually positive like the original Parasite Eve maybe that's where the industry should be looking to adapt source material from instead.

As far as I'm aware, the Japanese novel-based games are actually rather good (in comparison to movie-based).

For example, Brave Story: New Traveler received some excellent reviews, even here in the west.  Another XSEED-released title was Wizard of Oz (Or, if you prefer, RIZOAD).  I thought it was a fun little game, and absolutely beautiful for a DS game, I think it actually looks better than DQIX in the DS-3D department. How good this one is is arguable, but it's certainly better than some of the movie crap we get (James Cameron's Avatar: The Game).

There are some fun western (and eastern) developed titles based on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as well.  This isn't really accurate, though, since most of the "Alice in Wonderland" titles actually take more from Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There than they do the first book.  Disney's own title suffers from this.
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »

Hmm, y'know as stereotypical as the track record is for Movie based Video Games = Crap; I have to wonder what the standard is for Novel based Video Games. If it's actually positive like the original Parasite Eve maybe that's where the industry should be looking to adapt source material from instead.
PE1 served as sequel to novel but Square had created the story, characters and the setting.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »

When I say "It looks terrible", what I mean is if you removed Aya and the Parasite Eve theme then it would "look" nothing like a Parasite Eve game. The themes in it are all wrong. Parasite Eve used to be a game series about fighting mutated, mostly animalistic creatures, in a modern setting with slight "magical" over tones due to the Parasite Powers (which were explained by Pseudo-Science logic.)
*Snip for length*
What? Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2 are completely sci-fi horror. There was no real magical element to them because Aya's (and the enemies') powers were explained as the manifestation of the energies in their (sentient) mitochondria. Setting people on fire and shit isn't exactly 'realistic,' especially considering contemporary superhero comics and movies explain away flying as a glitch in DNA sequences. And Aya's rebirth thing: wasn't she aging backwards as a result of her mutant mitochondria in PE2 (as absurd as that is)? aybe that's the reason for it.

As to the third game's setting, I don't completely disagree but I don't exactly agree with you, either. Using your Fallout example, it'd be pretty fascinating if it was some sort of artificial human farm that gave you an idea of what the Fallout world was like before the bombs hit, then the first story twist would be having the ship explode and you're suddenly dropped on post-apocalyptic Earth.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »

That's why I put "magical" in parenthesis. Just because until you got to Day 2 (and if you read through the Doctor's rant on Mitochondria) the random fire setting was pretty much lampshaded as supernatural phenomenon. Mostly due to the nice little touch of having Melissa playing the role of a "witch". XD

Honestly I would consider PE and PE 2 "realistic" just because I'm willing to suspend my suspension of disbelief a bit (with the explanation of things being set on fire being that a single, fully active mitochondria could generate *insert huge number* of Volts and extremely high temperatures). Sci-Fi? Totally. But Sci-Fi more grounded in reality that "Spiritual Possession via the Wireless Internet" ala Ghost in the Shell and The 3rd Birthday.

Call it my personal nitpicking but I draw my realism line somewhere between "setting on fire due to cellular over drive" and "defying the laws of gravity because it's cool to watch". Then again I'll have to wait and see what excuse they give in the game's dialog before I rail too much on the flight mechanic.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »

ZeronHitaro, your posts are sexy!

I agree with you completely.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Honestly I would consider PE and PE 2 "realistic" just because I'm willing to suspend my suspension of disbelief a bit (with the explanation of things being set on fire being that a single, fully active mitochondria could generate *insert huge number* of Volts and extremely high temperatures). Sci-Fi? Totally. But Sci-Fi more grounded in reality that "Spiritual Possession via the Wireless Internet" ala Ghost in the Shell and The 3rd Birthday.

Honestly, this makes little to no sense to me.  The other part I can understand and agree with, but this is a bit inconsistent.

Code:
The "Spiritual possession" is pretty much the same thing that Eve did to Melissa in PE1, though. She also "called"
everyone  to Central Park during Day 2 and was able to control Shiva (the dog) in Day 3. Aya might simply need a little
bit of help to have the same effect as the original Eve. Basically, it's what Eve (Aya's clone) in PE2 was doing throughout
the entire game!  She needed the help of an amplifier to control the Ark. All they're basically doing is giving Aya the ability
to temporarily control the actions, through Mitochondria, of another person, which was in the series already.  In fact, it's
literally identical to what Eve in PE2 was doing, it just "looks cooler."

She probably requires the use of a tool because she might permanently damage the "normal" humans if she forcefully
entered them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:50:39 PM by Cyril » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »

It makes sense when you realize the "spiritual possession" idea in these games is similar in concept but not in execution/theme.

Eve: Uses her own powers of mitochondria control to exert her will over the mitochondria of others and controls them. This is "realistic" in my opinion because the idea of your body being out of your control because of rebellious cellular activity isn't completely fictional. It's very similar to a seizure; only this seizure has a hive mind controlling the body's movements.

Aya in T3B: Look at the trailers we've seen. Apparently she uses her spiritual possession by climbing into a giant technology tube and sends out her "spirit/virtual ghost" out via an unnamed wireless internet equivalent to not only possess people like Eve but to completely morph their appearance to look exactly like her but also to change their clothing as well, sometimes into cosplay costumes.

I've bolded the parts that are much more "unrealistic" compared to the first two. Again compare Eve to Aya. Sure Eve possessed Mellisa, but Mellisa's body didn't magically morph into an Eve clone. Eventually it underwent mutation by Eve's will into a more powerful and proper form, but at the core it was still Mellisa. Hell she even kept the dress Mellisa was wearing all the way until she made her pregnancy nest. Aya's mechanic just reeks of Deus ex Dress-sphere.

Hence why I claim PE 1 and 2 are more grounded in "believable reality" where T3B so far is showing itself to be the work of full technobably, neo-futuristic, it makes to sense because it's beyond your modern mind Sci-Fi reasoning. Which is in sheer contrast to the themes of the first two games.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:55:40 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLh4cOLrsKs

I bet any transformation scene in T3B will involve someone exploding into tiny crystals and eventually turning into something huge with tentacles. Of course Aya will be watching that in her "ghost" form, floating and butt-nekkid.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLh4cOLrsKs

I bet any transformation scene in T3B will involve someone exploding into tiny crystals and eventually turning into something huge with tentacles. Of course Aya will be watching that in her "ghost" form, floating and butt-nekkid.

It's been forever since I played PE2 so they might've mentioned; but I've always wondered why people suddenly started mutating in PE2 rather than catching fire like they did in PE. Was that ever explained? (Keep in mind I've only gotten to play PE2 in full once, and that was in excess of 8 years ago.)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2010, 10:21:13 PM »

It's been forever since I played PE2 so they might've mentioned; but I've always wondered why people suddenly started mutating in PE2 rather than catching fire like they did in PE. Was that ever explained? (Keep in mind I've only gotten to play PE2 in full once, and that was in excess of 8 years ago.)

Hmm, no offense, but you definitely need to play PE2 again.  Some of the comments you made in the last post reply to me weren't really relevant in PE2.

As for PE2, Aya herself  and Aya-clone Eve definitely cause spontaneous combustion in PE2. And there's a reason for that transforming (beyond "RE was doing it, we should too!" which is what it screamed throughout most of the game) that has to do with Eve and the entire plot in general.  The tl;dr would be:
Code:
A group of scientists obtained Aya's cells, creating Aya-clone Eve.  From there, they were able to control the
"mitochondrial evolution" of "normal" humans and change them into different forms. Everything you're killing in PE2,
other than things like spiders and bats, was once a human. Aya-clone Eve was used to control these creatures and keep
them manageable.  Keep in mind that they weren't able to take on their human forms again without the help of an
external source.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:30:53 PM by Cyril » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

No offense taken. XD I want to play PE2 again but unless it hits PSN that's not likely to happen. XP

Ah, sounds familiar now that you mention it.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2010, 11:52:31 PM »

The 3rd Birthday has skippable event scenes for those who just want to get Aya Brea as naked as possible as quickly as possible.

...and the game is more action oriented.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »

The wait for The 3rd Birthday won’t be too long. Japan gets the PSP game first on December 22. Square Enix has The 3rd Birthday slated for Q1 2011 in North America. In plain English, that’s sometime between January 1 and March 31 of next year.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:25:46 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »

The 3rd Birthday is going to have a theme song by some J-rock artist by the name of Superfly. The name of the song? Eyes On Me.

That's just cute Square Enix. But anyway, this is the reason for a theme song in the game:

Superfly’s overwhelming vocals caught Square Enix’s attention. The publisher thought this fits how Aya’s bouts with enemies are tied to the fate of the world.

Yeah, whatever. Just release the damn game guys, is annoying that a company announce their games with a 3 year wait for their big titles (source Siliconera).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:08:13 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »

I can't wait for it, man. I never played Parasite Eve before, but I always wanted to, so I think this outta be a good enough experience for me.:)

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: