Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341184 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  I'm debating joining WoW
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: I'm debating joining WoW  (Read 9960 times)
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2006, 03:44:38 AM »

With Galaxies now dead to me (that Restuss battle stuff from E3 was a humongous lagfest, servers died in the middle of it all...), and everyone and their grandmother playing WoW, I'm wondering if I should jump into it.

My friend Daniel plays on Shadowsong so I'll probably be going there. Any tips from you guys as to what I should do as a noob?

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:55:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dave"
My friend Daniel plays on Shadowsong so I'll probably be going there. Any tips from you guys as to what I should do as a noob?

Go to Stormwind/Orgrimmar, and start asking everyone for "plx 10s plz i needz it 4 my training".

Anyway, a couple of general tips:
* Always sell green/blue/purple loot on the AH, and not to the NPC vendors. You'll earn way more money on the AH. If you want to maximize your income, you can download Auctioneer, which is an addon that lets you scan the AH to see how much an item usually sells for.

*Pick up a major tradeskill as soon as possible. Not only can you use tradeskills to earn money (once again by selling shit on the AH), but it'll also make your first ten or twently levels a bit easier, as you can craft better items than usually drop in the starter zones.

* Pick up the secondy tradeskills as well. First Aid and Cooking are very usefull, especially if you play as a class without healing abilities. Fishing can be useful too (specifically to find ingredients for your cooking), but it's a fucking pain to level up.

* Get some addons. Using addons can make playing WoW a much better experience, as they can remove many minor interface annoyances.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 07:00:07 AM »

The best advice I can possibly give a noob to WoW is this:

"Make a female priest."

It doesn't matter what side you play on, that combo will get you a spot in top raid guilds and you'll be in full tier 3 by the time you hit 10 days played at 60.

Other than that, just test the waters. Play every class, or at least read up on all of them and figure out what class fits you best. If you're a melee class, take up First Aid.

Take up Mining/Herbalism and make gold like it went out of fashion...

Have fun, if at all possible.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:34:27 AM »

If at all possible?

If I want to play an MMO that isn't fun I'll stick with Galaxies. At least I know it. :P

Seriously, WoW isn't fun anymore/at all? I pretty much assumed that 4 mil+ subscriber base = good game.

Understand I know absolutely nothing about this game or the Warcraft universe outside of that. :P

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »

A large group of us left Shadowsong for greener pastures. Norgannon. It is one of the new servers at the new site and has very little lag. We are playing on Horde side a lot and if you feel like joining us contact Kossuth(Me), Skullflower(DR), or sometimes...Miakis(Dade).

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 12:16:04 PM »

Davey.....make your friend leave Shadowsong for Norgannon....seriously. I MISS YOU MAN! I LOVE YOU!

Plus...it'd be a nice throwback to our Geocities and Meta days.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »

How high a level are you jerks on Norg, anyway?

Anyhow, WoW is generally very fun leveling to 60, minus a few deadspots in the leveling progression (right before 40, mid 50s), especially if you do some instances and check out a lot of the zones and take your time instead of powergrinding.  Depending on your class/playstyle/expectations, the game may become more or less fun after you've been at 60 for a little while.  You'll probably enjoy the game more if you never, ever go to the WoW fora, which are packed to the gills with trolls and whiners who epitomize yet don't understand the concept of a vocal minority, and it rubs off on your after a while.

Personally, as long as you've got a decent-sized stable of people you don't hate playing with (friends from before WoW, non-asshats you play with leveling up), you should be fine at 60 until the expansion hits.  As much as people bitch about World of Raidcraft, there's a ton more stuff to do to get gear at 60 besides raid a 40 man dungeon than there used to be.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 03:08:38 PM »

On the Alliance side of Norg we're in the higher 40s (me at 48 hunter) to 60 (Dagg and his wife).

On the Horde side (which is becoming our main side) we're at mid 30s to 40, with about 15 Alts between the few of us.

And yes, this is the Official RPGFan Guild. So anyone sick of their server and its fucked up economy come join us on Norg.

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 06:44:18 PM »

I got me a brand new computer and I am considering joining this game again. What are your thoughts? Is it worth it, or are the server lag and whatnot so nasty that it's unplayable? I have a level 60 on Shadowsong and several high level alts, unless I deleted them. I can't remember. I might of gave away all my stuff too.  Though I  doubt I'd be willing to spend $25 for a character transfer. A bit pricey.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »

Well considering the only people I know on Shadowsong are Daniel and his brother, I'll strongly consider it, Dade!

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:59:06 PM »

The game has had some major improvements in the stability area. I dont find myself walking through Lagforge at 2fps.....BUT I do run into the occasional login and I cant see myself. I can move around, but I just dont see myself for a few minutes.

Blizz is in process of changing all existing servers to new hardware (about time) and it's fixing a lot of issues. I havent seen an Auction House crash in a while, which was a HUGE deal for a while.

It's still worth playing definately. $25 for a transfer is a little pricey, but hey....if you're rejoining the game rejoin by starting a new character and fall in love with it again!

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "Dave"
Well considering the only people I know on Shadowsong are Daniel and his brother, I'll strongly consider it, Dade!

You're welcome to come play with us, bro.  If you play a war, I'll pay for your first month. :P

You can go here to see how silly and/or retarded we can get.  Well, how silly and/or retarded two of us can get, since we're the only ones who use it. :P

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 07:56:08 PM »

Oooh I just thought of something, Davey, if you start a new character I might roll a new one named.....AEON.....

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 07:58:12 PM »

Fuck Norgannon and its PvE bullshit.

*goes to kill some level 20s in Southshore*

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 12:59:49 AM »

Okay, so I'm seriously considering playing. What subscription type should I go for? I plan on getting into PSU whenever it comes out. Also, when if anyone knows will Burning Crusade be out? I am very interested in the cross server battlegrounds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: