Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329965 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile 2 and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile 2 and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3  (Read 3058 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »

I didn't like the random dungeons in P3 since like, the PS2 SMT games generally have really awesome level designs. P3 didn't, because they were random. Also it did get otherwise tedious.

Outside of that, it's a pretty easy game by SMT standards, and about average by normal RPG standards, so grinding should never really be necessary at all. Also I'm not sure you can actually run out of time for anything other than the uh... Elizabeth requests unless you seriously try to.

And again my other issue with it is why play a life sim when I could just be living my life? That actually took an annoying twist, though, when I realized that Bowling Green is a hellish town and that P3's videogame life really was superior to anything I could be doing there.

:|
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:26:09 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »

I think the P4's dungeons weren't really better, either. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer Tartaros over the various P4 dungeons. There was something more awarding about Tartaros, the P4 dungeons left me rather unsatisfied.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »

P4's dungeons were more varied than the ones in Tartarus. Though Tartarus made more sense story-wise than the TV world.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »

I personally enjoyed VP and VP2 more than Persona 3 (*gasp*! Blashphemy!! I know!!).
I dunno; its something in me that prefers more real-time combat over turn-based.

Persona 3 got too redundant for me; the same battle theme

I don't understand this comment. VP2 had the same battle theme every battle too. There was enough different battle themes, as in most RPGs. I'm not bashing VP2 or anything, I love that game too. I just don't understand what your gripe is. Maybe you're trying to say you got sick of the theme?

After a 200-ish floor dungeon; I got sick of the battle theme - tartarus theme - battle theme - tartarus theme.  After a while, "BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY" gets annoying for EVERY single battle.  Its a good theme; but grating after some time.  I prefer Sakuraba's instrumentals for the same reason people were "iffy" about TWEWY's "score".  Its a minor, personal preference.

VP at least has way more stimulating dungeons.  Both titles.  Annoying, sometimes; but definitely requite some smarts to ignite in your head; unlike the mindless "search for the staircase" ploy. 

I'm not trying to hate P3; but both games certainly have their yay's and nay's.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »

The AI in Persona 3 is only bad if you leave it on Auto the whole game.

No matter what you set it on the fes fights are bad. 3 boss fights where they each have a separate weakness and absorb everything else. It keeps throwing these fights at you and the AI just can't handle it. No matter what you set the AI on they take what should be a simple fight and they just won't do what you need them to do.

For the main game it's less big mistakes and more lots of little mistakes. Junpei is poisoned. Yukari can remove that. But guess what? Junpei takes poison damage. Yukari heals the damage. Junpei takes poison damage. Yukari heals the damage. You have to do it yourself and waste your turn because once she's in that loop Yukari won't remove the poison. Ever. The healing AI, even set to healing, is also incredibly stingy at using aoe heals. It pretty much only uses them if two people are practically dead. Tons of little things like that add up. I think people are really too easy on it.

I'll admit though, even when a game has good AI I hate it. Because even if the AI has a solid strategy it's strat doesn't necessarily mesh well with your strat. Forcing it on you is always bad for that reason. There's always going to be times where you want it to do one thing and it won't.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 08:52:41 PM »

I personally enjoyed VP and VP2 more than Persona 3 (*gasp*! Blashphemy!! I know!!).
I dunno; its something in me that prefers more real-time combat over turn-based.

Persona 3 got too redundant for me; the same battle theme

I don't understand this comment. VP2 had the same battle theme every battle too. There was enough different battle themes, as in most RPGs. I'm not bashing VP2 or anything, I love that game too. I just don't understand what your gripe is. Maybe you're trying to say you got sick of the theme?

After a 200-ish floor dungeon; I got sick of the battle theme - tartarus theme - battle theme - tartarus theme.  After a while, "BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY" gets annoying for EVERY single battle.  Its a good theme; but grating after some time.  I prefer Sakuraba's instrumentals for the same reason people were "iffy" about TWEWY's "score".  Its a minor, personal preference.

VP at least has way more stimulating dungeons.  Both titles.  Annoying, sometimes; but definitely requite some smarts to ignite in your head; unlike the mindless "search for the staircase" ploy. 

I'm not trying to hate P3; but both games certainly have their yay's and nay's.

I feel like I'm the only one that didn't get annoyed by any of that. Maybe since I enjoyed the atmosphere of the game so much. I also don't have any trouble tuning something out that I don't want to hear.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is actually my favorite Sakuraba OST. He combined the orchestral with his typical synth sound and it came out really good. I never finished playing VP2, but from where I made it to, I did enjoy it a lot.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 03:30:53 AM »

I think the P4's dungeons weren't really better, either. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer Tartaros over the various P4 dungeons. There was something more awarding about Tartaros, the P4 dungeons left me rather unsatisfied.
I liked the design of the P4 dungeons, each having its own theme made sense. But I didn't like the layouts with the long hallways and random rooms off to the side. It got tedious.

My favorite dungeons will always be Nocturne and DDS ones.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

I completely agree.  By the end of P3 I made it my objective to finish every battle before the "baby baby" chorus started.  It's a fine theme...if you're only listening to it once or twice.  Given the amount you hear it in P3 I would much rather have something less obtrusive.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »

Every battle STARTED with the Baby Baby chorus.  You can't end a fight before it shows up.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »

I completely agree.  By the end of P3 I made it my objective to finish every battle before the "baby baby" chorus started.  It's a fine theme...if you're only listening to it once or twice.  Given the amount you hear it in P3 I would much rather have something less obtrusive.

Geez, you people are easily bothered :P Don't you know how to tune things out? There's also a mute button on your TV and the option to play your own music while you play. I do it all the time.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »

There's also a mute button on your TV and the option to play your own music while you play. I do it all the time.

I didn't have a problem with the music, but I can never get how people can stand this. Music is one thing(And if a game lets you turn it off separately great), but I can't play a game without sound effects. If there's no audio feedback I can't get immersed in a game.

I remember playing star ocean 3 and one of the dungeon themes really annoyed me. Beyond annoyed me really. There's plenty of bad game tracks around, but normally I can just ignore them. But there was something about this one track that just infuriated me like no track before or since. Yet I'd mute the tv and ended up just as frustrated playing without sound. So in the end I just kept the remote by me unmuted whenever I got into a battle and then muted whenever a battle ended. Which was also annoying, but not as much as the alternatives.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 04:07:47 AM »

Every battle STARTED with the Baby Baby chorus.  You can't end a fight before it shows up.

That's simply not true.  Believe me, I got really good at it.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »

That's simply not true.  Believe me, I got really good at it.

I checked because I was curious, and yeah, it's impossible. The second the song starts *cymbal crash* "baby baby baby". There's no way you can end a battle that fast.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »

I remember playing star ocean 3 and one of the dungeon themes really  annoyed me

Just one? :P Sakuraba's at his/her/its best when they're not doing shitty hair metal.

Anyway, while I'd say there are a lot of games where sound is essential -- a lot of FPSes. A lack of audio cues would probably render STALKER incredibly hard. Same for Quake 3 -- audio isn't hugely important to P3. From what I remember, at least.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »

It's still irritating to play without sound effects.  The sounds usually aren't ESSENTIAL to playing the game, but technically graphics aren't essential to playing most games, but people like to have them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: