Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 02:04:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331653 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!  (Read 12479 times)
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 08:31:11 PM »

I dunno where the fuck you're setting your standards, Lucid, but they're WAY too high.

I don't think so.  The game just looks boring. The character didn't even move out of place when they attacked. They just sloppily swung their sword, and then a hit is registered on the enemy. you were talking about cinematic qualites of the graphics but the fights are some of the most undynamic I've seen recently. If they use 3d they should at least have the camera show different angles during the combat. I'm not passing final judgement on it since I can't from just a short movie, however it really doesn't look that great to me.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 07:10:23 PM »

Pretty interesting video (only saw some, I'm on dial-up and fairly impatient, so I didn't wait for it all to load).

I'm pretty interested in the game.  It gives me portable RPG action and a new RPG none the less (new to me, at least).  Also, it seems to have some kind of job system.  Even if it's not like FF5's, which I liked, it still scores points with me.  Definitely looking forward to it.  DS fun = WIN.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Gondor_Reficul

Gondor Reficul (gondor_the_feral
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 08:50:52 PM »

The game looks kind of like FF VII, but has the feel of FF IX.  I also like how they used the dual screen to make certain scenes elaborated to it's fullest extent. If nothing else, I'd get a DS just to play a game like this....if it ever comes out in the United States.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
Take this! Double Slash of Fury! Dragon Roar! Kaboom!
Wait...Kaboom? I gotta stop drinking that special juice Yangus made a week ago in the Alchemy Pot.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 09:37:55 PM »

Quote from: "Gondor_Reficul"
If nothing else, I'd get a DS just to play a game like this....if it ever comes out in the United States.

I'm fucking sick of this unrealistic pessimistic bullshit.

Ok, to be fair you really may not have had any doubts, and just put that there in case some freak occurance happened. But come on, this is SQUARE ENIX. And FINAL FUCKING FANTASY, the one RPG series to successfully, and consecutively, sell in the millions over here. And to top it off, it's a high quality 3D remake at that. There is no fucking way Square could have even considered passing this over for the US market, even with as questionable as they're getting at times as of late when it comes to these kinds of decisions. :P

Edit: Also, I'm aware that you're likely not following up on all the news, since you only just found out about FFXII's release date. But then that's why I went at everything BUT the ignroance of the US release.
Radien

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Lucid"
3d graphics just aren't something that age well for me.

To be fair... That can probably be said for most people. But I think the PS2 games will be different: The 32-bit generation is to 3D what the 16-bit generation was to 2D. Likewise, the generation that's currently ending is the 3D equivilant of the 16-bit generation.

Well, again, to be fair... the transition from 2D to 3D is different than the transition from old 3D (PSOne) to improved 3D (PS2).

On the PSOne, it could arguably be said that 3D was popular just for the fact that it could do 3D at all. Back then, I was really unhappy with seeing everything turn to 3D.

But now, 3D has become good enough that it can often have as much detail as 2D used to boast. But only on the PS2 and up... The DS is still at the point where 2D is often more detailed. I only mentioned the cinematic factor because it's Square Enix, and in my eyes that's their #1 audiovisual trump card.

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I stand by what Radien put out there in terms of Square-Enix's abilities with 3D in cinematic areas. As nice as 2D is, SE's shown it's capable of bringing down the house when it comes to 3D, and I'm really getting sick of minor facelifts to the ancient classics. It's a good thing to see FF1-6 reprinted/remade (though honestly, IV and VI got so shafted in their PSX remakes), yet I always feel a bit gypped when it comes down to playing them. Outside of FFOrigins, none of the remakes feel truly 'remade', just ported. Sure there are enhancements, but more often than not, I'm left asking myself if it was worth the money.

The effort SE's put into remaking FFIII at least gives me some incentive to buy it. I don't own Anthologies or Chronicles because those remakes just weren't worth it, outside of FFIV's rescript.

I'm glad you agree, but you really need to set a concrete division between "remake" and "port." The distinction should affect what you expect to get out of a game purchase. The two words aren't interchangable.

There's a difference between saying that FFIV "needed a full remake," and saying that they "did a bad port job." I say they did a bad job at porting it. Perhaps a remake would have been nice, but honestly, the PSOne didn't have much to offer at the time.

Besides, remakes take an enormous amount of time compared to ports. I think we should only get on a company's case if they seem to be doing nothing BUT ports. (Sega, anyone?..)

I dunno where the fuck you're setting your standards, Lucid, but they're WAY too high.

I don't think so.  The game just looks boring. The character didn't even move out of place when they attacked. They just sloppily swung their sword, and then a hit is registered on the enemy. you were talking about cinematic qualites of the graphics but the fights are some of the most undynamic I've seen recently. If they use 3d they should at least have the camera show different angles during the combat. I'm not passing final judgement on it since I can't from just a short movie, however it really doesn't look that great to me.

Like Wild Arms 1, perhaps?...

3D doesn't always constitute constant camera changes. In fact, if you look at FFX, you'll notice that there really aren't very many camera changes. I actually think FFX needs more camera changes, but that's mostly because as you make character proportions more realistic, it becomes more and more difficult to see the details of character models from a fixed camera angle. Simplified, chibi-style characters are much easier for your eye to follow.

As for the animations, the actual movement is fluid and more than just a simple swing. You're just unhappy that they don't jump up and hit them close-up. Fair enough. But I know Square did this on purpose, for the same reason they used the screen-shake: nostalgia, not laziness.

The game looks kind of like FF VII, but has the feel of FF IX.

I believe I can safely say that the game will have no significant resemblance to FF7. At the very least, FF7 is one of the least similar Square titles you could compare it to. FF3 happens to be a little darker since it starts in a cave, but rest assured, there will be daylight and bright happy scenery further into the game.

~Radien of Lunarnet.

No, not LunarNET... Lunarnet, the IRC network. We've been around even longer than LunarNET, we're just smaller.  There's an #RPGFan channel there. Check it out.

Point your IRC program here:

irc.lunarnet.org
port 6667
Gondor_Reficul

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 11:15:12 PM »

And that's why I said KIND OF. The graphics kind of reminded me of 7, not exactly. The graphics are kind of like 7, but with a little more features. Maybe I was thinking about Brave Fencer Musashi.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
Wait...Kaboom? I gotta stop drinking that special juice Yangus made a week ago in the Alchemy Pot.
Radien

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 12:53:40 AM »

And that's why I said KIND OF. The graphics kind of reminded me of 7, not exactly. The graphics are kind of like 7, but with a little more features. Maybe I was thinking about Brave Fencer Musashi.

I'm saying not even the graphics will really resemble FF7. :P  I merely expanded the statement to say that almost nothing will resemble FF7, except that it will have Chocobos and the traditional prelude music. Considering FF7 didn't even have the job system... really, that's about it. It doesn't even seem to have prerendered backgrounds.

~Radien of Lunarnet.

No, not LunarNET... Lunarnet, the IRC network. We've been around even longer than LunarNET, we're just smaller.  There's an #RPGFan channel there. Check it out.

Point your IRC program here:

irc.lunarnet.org
port 6667
Gondor_Reficul

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 01:16:45 AM »

Oh, obviously it won't resemble FF7, but when I saw it, the first thing that came to mind was FF7. All I was saying was that it reminded me of FF7 in some weird way. Even so, the graphics seem a little more like Brave Fencer Musashi, now that I think about it.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 04:12:11 PM »

it looks horrible..

the character animation looked very poor, and I just don't see the advantage of it being in 3d when It uses a overhead view, and the graphics are psone quality.

Um, thats about as good as the DS can do, y'know - just cos it has a 64-bit processor does not mean it can do good 3d graphics.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 04:14:39 PM »

I know the DS can't do better than psone quality 3d, that wasn't my point. It's just that the character animations looked pretty bad, and the game is mostly played in an overhead view it looks like. In my opinion I thought it would be better served to just do a 2d recreation for a old school simplistic game. 3d graphics just aren't something that age well for me.

Um, the character animations were a lot worse in FF7...
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 04:38:47 PM »

There seems to be a lot of graphical power you can get out of Nintendo handhelds. Take the Metroid Hunters intro, for instance. No jaggy lines there, like in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. And now FF3. Even the gba could produce reasonably good graphics. Just look at Golden Sun. I know the battles may only be 2d, but its a damn sight better looking than most 2d Ps-One rpgs. And finally here's an FF port which will never be released on a Sony console! At least its better than even easier versions of the Ps-One ports realeased 2 years later on the gba. Oh and while we're talking about remakes of SNES games, Tales of Phantasia is being ported to PSP. This is the third remake (haha sony suck!) of the original Tales game, a series which began on Nintendo, then turned traitor and went over to sony, and then came back to make one of the best in the series on Gamecube. And the second remake on gba wasnt massively overhauled - it resembled the SNES game. So overall, its a win for Nintendo!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 07:54:21 PM »

Just so you know, the mods frown upon double (or in your case, triple) posting when there's that little time between each. If you wanted to address different quotes, you can insert more quotes with the quote code, and if you want to address a different point... Well, that's what paragraphs are for. :P

And did you go 'Haha sony suck!' because of multiple Tales remakes/ports, or just because you don't like Sony? Either way, it's unwarranted - Sony has no say in how much Namco whores out their franchises beyond giving or denying approval, and if it was just to express a dislike for Sony, then it simply wasn't called for. It was irritating as hell to see a former post constantly drag Sony into topics not directly related just to be praised over the competition, and personally, I think dragging them in only to be attacked is just as bad.

As for what you said... What PS1 games were ported to the GBA again?
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 02:18:42 AM »

New Promo video including most of the FMV that will be in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSI_UtL7EHI
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Just so you know, the mods frown upon double (or in your case, triple) posting when there's that little time between each. If you wanted to address different quotes, you can insert more quotes with the quote code, and if you want to address a different point... Well, that's what paragraphs are for. :P

And did you go 'Haha sony suck!' because of multiple Tales remakes/ports, or just because you don't like Sony? Either way, it's unwarranted - Sony has no say in how much Namco whores out their franchises beyond giving or denying approval, and if it was just to express a dislike for Sony, then it simply wasn't called for. It was irritating as hell to see a former post constantly drag Sony into topics not directly related just to be praised over the competition, and personally, I think dragging them in only to be attacked is just as bad.

As for what you said... What PS1 games were ported to the GBA again?

Sorry about that... I won't do it again. Anyway, the only PS1 game I know of that was ported to GBA was Tales of Phantasia.

Also, I'll make sure I don't make a comment about a games company like that again. *hangs head in shame" Oh and  I don't actually hate Sony, I was just pointing out that Nintendo ended up with a better deal  than Sony, which never usually happens. I know it's no excuse for making that kind of comment, but I wasn't trying to deliberately attack Sony. I see now it wasn't a good thing to do...

Edit: Proper re-written story + proper characters + summons + loads of fmvs + out soon in UK (hopefully) = OMFG WAHOO!!!
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 08:09:23 PM »

Way too slow for my taste.  I hated the original FFIII, and I doubt I will like this one too much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: