Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!  (Read 12423 times)
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 02:48:36 PM »

Interesting discussion...

It's funny, because most folks (without a doubt due to the taboo of admitting to the importance of graphics) feign that graphics are of little consideration when it comes to what makes a video game good.

I'm 30-something, and I've seen every form that video games have taken thus far. That said, I am still impressed by the fact that I can carry around with me, anywhere I go, a little bitty device that houses two screen -- one of them a touch screen -- and can display the quality of visuals that the DS offers; not to mention the host of other elements that make up its interface. Square seems to have really maximized that with this new reiteration of FFIII. This particular video is cool to watch, but I feel is perhaps a poor representation of what the finished product will look like on your DS.

For perhaps a better idea of what to expect, watch this video of gameplay footage instead: http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads6014_video-final-fantasy-iii.html
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 06:16:34 AM »

I be wait for a game like this for long time on nintendo DS.The graphics look awosome.Just the way I like it .

god is god
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »

Looks good... I don't really see the point of having a world map while you're in towns, though. It works fine on the world map, as you can see where you're going (well duh). I like the fact they use the top screen to have the characters waving when an item they can equip is selected. Just because it looks good and it's Final Fantasy doesn't mean it'll replace Golden Sun as The Best RPG On A Nintendo Handheld (and therefore all handhelds) - it's true, don't argue. But we're all Final Fantasy favouritists, aren't we?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »

Quote from: "arizlaan"
I be wait for a game like this for long time on nintendo DS.The graphics look awosome.Just the way I like it .

I think everyone likes good graphics. >_>

"Oh, a hunter..."
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 02:28:48 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Looks good... I don't really see the point of having a world map while you're in towns, though. It works fine on the world map, as you can see where you're going (well duh). I like the fact they use the top screen to have the characters waving when an item they can equip is selected. Just because it looks good and it's Final Fantasy doesn't mean it'll replace Golden Sun as The Best RPG On A Nintendo Handheld (and therefore all handhelds) - it's true, don't argue. But we're all Final Fantasy favouritists, aren't we?

It's all a matter of opinion when you say Golden Sun is the Best RPG on a Nintendo Handheld.  Personally, I think Golden Sun is boring, even though I did enjoy it from time to time.  But it is FAR from the best RPG on a handheld, in my opinion.

I think that the best RPG on a Nintendo Handheld is either Shin Megami Tensei II, Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, or Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 02:40:21 PM »

This game looks like it should be fun for portable purposes, not something I wanna sit down and enthrawl myself into, as I would in say Xenosaga's story or Star Oceans intense battle systems.

Hell, a portable final fantasy promises fun, adventure, a catchy tune or two, and battle system to please, and some retro goodness.

Furthermore, I'm all in favour of the notions that these game companies have gotta stop with the crappy ports and actually attract consumers by giving a [good] dated game a facelift.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 04:40:11 PM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
I think that the best RPG on a Nintendo Handheld is either Shin Megami Tensei II, Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, or Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden.

Us Europeans have never heard of those games, by the way... The only reason I said it was the best handheld rpg was that Nintendo practically owns the handheld market. And if Seiken Densetsu is Mystic Quest, theres no way that's any good. Look, I think Golden Sun is the only good rpg for gameboy advance that wasn't a port. And a damn sight more effort has gone into its story than most Final Fantasies... But of course, thats just my opinion. I still think it's very good for a company that has never done rpgs before, unlike Square and Enix, who've probably made more than any other rpg developer. Plus, Golden Sun was made for a handheld, with its simple control system and the ability to save anywhere. Let's hope FF 3 has the same...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »

Just because it looks good and it's Final Fantasy doesn't mean it'll replace Golden Sun as The Best RPG On A Nintendo Handheld (and therefore all handhelds) - it's true, don't argue. But we're all Final Fantasy favouritists, aren't we?

You're just begging for someone to argue with you when you state things like 'don't argue, this is THE BEST'. While I beat Golden Sun and moderately enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind setting a sequel, it's no where near being one of my favorite RPGs, let alone one on a handheld. I can't really name a favorite handheld RPG admittedly, but I did enjoy DWIII a good bit, loved VP:L, and had more fun with the ten hours of Riviera I played. Admittedly all art ports... But Riviera only came out on handhelds anyway.

If I /had/ to name a best RPG that was exclusively for handhelds... Probably one of the M&L games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »

You are the single, most retarded person I've ever seen.

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2006, 05:34:14 PM »

OK, OK, OK I get it! I should have said "in my opinion" or something and that would have been alright. But I wasn't actually being serious about it being the best EVER and the don't argue part. Plus yeah, it is all a matter of opinion, so it doesn't particularly matter if someone is pretentious enough to say their favourite handheld rpg is the best ever. And I can't help but noticing that all the ones mentioned by you and Seiken_Densetsu were all gameboy games. So maybe those ones should be possible "best gb games ever" and Golden Sun should be a possible "best gba game ever". I think also the reason Golden Sun isn't seen as a very good game by most rpg fans because its not part of a well-renowned rpg series and is made by a games company affilated with Nintendo. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Edit: why do all threads seem to turn into people just complaining at something I say? Maybe it's something to do with the fact I'm a pretentious bastard who says the most retarded comments ever. No, it's definitely that.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 05:43:24 PM »

OK, OK, OK I get it! I should have said "in my opinion" or something and that would have been alright.

Actually, simply not saying 'don't argue with me' would've probably cut down on the backlash quite a bit, if not flat out eliminate it. :P

And actually, I think liking stuff like Riviera is more along the lines of liking the 'RPG that came from a nobody'. The developers of Golden Sun had developed pretty much the entire Shining series up to Shining Force 3, including the assorted side games, and would have continued to do so if not for the rift that formed between them. So, yeah. Maybe not in an established series, but definitely from an established developer.

Edit: Though to be fair, I should mention Sting's (Riviera's developers) claim to fame:

Evolution. Yeah, that DC RPG series.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »

I forgot about that... Anyway, can we accept the fact that I've been pwned by the same people on two separate threads and actually talk about Final Fantasy 3? Please?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »

I forgot about that... Anyway, can we accept the fact that I've been pwned by the same people on two separate threads and actually talk about Final Fantasy 3? Please?

Huh, what're we talking about FFIII for?

Edit: In seriousness, may as well respond to an earlier post.

While great graphics are nice, they're certainly not the end all be all of games. As cliched and beaten to death as this argument is... There's quitea few games I really enjoyed that didn't have the best possible graphics: Drill Dozer doesn't look as good as even some first gen GBA games, but is a great 16-bit style platformer.

But admittedly, a game's gotta at least not be repulsive graphically - how many of could handle playing a game with Atari 2600 graphics again, or a very repulsive art/graphical style? It's nice to have the occassional graphics wankery, though.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2006, 04:24:58 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Ummm... Because this thread is meant to be about a FFIII gameplay video. That's what I was trying to comment on before I made that pretentious remark about Golden Sun.

Just for the record, the remake of FF 3 was one of the reasons why I decided to buy a ds in the first place. And the only reason I've managed to play every other Final Fantasy (except for 11 and 10-2, because they're not "proper" FF games in my opinion) is because I've played the SNES remakes on the Playstation. Kind of shows I don't hate Sony.

In fact, I dislike Nintendo just as much as I dislike Sony. Most of the things I dislike about Nintendo are stupid decisions they themselves have made, and most of the things I dislike about Sony are to do with the fact that most games companies and games players seem to favour them just because they're not Nintendo.

But, anyway, this revamped version of FF III does look rather good when seen in action. And it's always nice to see a game that doesn't use the touch screen at all, because I'm one of those people who gets tired of new kinds of games and just wants to play something normal. True, it is better that there are a lot more "different" games around for the DS - Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center could not have been done before, for instance - and this is probably one reason why it has done better than the PSP. But yeah, I'm definitely buying FF 3 when it comes out in Europe (hopefully soon).
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2006, 04:46:32 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Ummm... Because this thread is meant to be about a FFIII gameplay video. That's what I was trying to comment on before I made that pretentious remark about Golden Sun.

I don't think it was the "LAEL GOLDEN SUN SI THE BEST GAM EVAR =)" remark that Leyviur responded to, but rather your "But we're all Final Fantasy favouritists, aren't we?" comment. That's the second time in a week you have insinuated that everone on these boards 1) Hates Nintendo and loves Sony and 2) Love Final Fantasy and hates all other RPGs. Neither of wich is true. Seems to me like you want to play the martyr here, and like games/systems that everyone else "hates".

Now. Back on topic: I'm looking forward to this remake. I don't think the graphics look bad, especially not considering this is a handheld system. And as someone already mentioned, it will look a lot better on a smaller screen where the jaggies and low res textures won't stand out as much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: