Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!  (Read 12663 times)
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »

Exactly, if these things are unavailable for sale for people to acquire, then there are not many alternatives.

The way I see it, Nintendo and Square aren't making any money when someone buys one of these games second hand, either. Sure, you paid money for it so your conscience can be clear, but it doesn't benefit them any more or less than playing the old game on an emulator.

If you like having alot of older consoles and games around and can find one of these, then that is fantastic and more power to you, but for those of us who love games and want to play them but don't always have the means to access physical copies of the original software, I think emulation is a great way to enjoy one's gaming heritage.

If they wanted to, they could sell digital downloads of the game's rom image to people that still want to play it, as there is nothing illegal about emulators themselves (its the BIOS image like for ps1 and ps2 emulation that is illegal, but you can dump your own from the original console as a backup to get around that problem ), but they don't choose to offer that as a service to potential customers, so naturally people use other means to satisfy their desire to play older games.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2006, 11:03:17 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I've /never/ seen someone so vehemently anti-emulation on the net before. :P

I'll just note that it's probably not /that/ big of a deal for older consoles and games that've not been re-released, and quite a few of these japanese-only games have been hacked into english.

Yeah, but they're not usually that well-translated. And plus, I don't think I'm that anti-emulation - I wouldn't describe them as "evil" in real life. I'm talking about them in an anti-emulation way on these boards because a) I don't like emulations in the first place and b) cuz we're supposed not to encourage it. And the "evil", "abomination", "servants of satan" thing isn't trying to be serious. One more thing: I think using a pc to play old NES/SNES games doesn't really work as they were designed to be played on a joypad - I still own a snes, by the way.
Fox Spirit

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2006, 11:19:41 AM »

Vurrently the emulation is in the gray... but hey, with the Wii we will be once again be able to OWN our fave Nintendo games on a real-life Nintendo console. Excitebike, here I come ^^

Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:38 AM »

As Andrmgic said, emulation is about the only way to play some games  now - Metroid 3, Secret Of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc. I only managed to play FF III this way, but I couldn't be bothered to play through it, and I knew it would be coming out on ds, so there was no point. And it wasn't a good one. It was sort of the same with FE 6 - it hadnt been translated. So you can see why I don't like ROMs.

But now the Virtual Console and X-Box Live Arcade (not forgetting Sony's one) make it kinda pointless to download emulators and ROMs, so nobody will do it - except for those annoying people who refuse to get anything legally. Hopefully, Nintendo will finally release on the VC such classics as Super Metroid and Secret Of Mana, which have never before been re-released. Maybe us Europeans will finally get Earthbound... XD
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2006, 02:06:54 PM »

Of course if Square enix wanted to team up with Nintendo and make Chrono Trigger available on virtual console, it would be my first purchase.

However, even though I still own a SNES, finding a cart for CT without paying a fortune is rather hard to do. I have it in the psx collection that was released, but the load times were kinda bad and I don't think the anime cutscenes make up for it.

We'll just have to see if my current outlook changes with virtual console.. I suspect it might, depending on what titles are offered. I don't expect any service to offer every game I'd want to play from the past, so I think emulation of all forms will be around for a long time
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
As Andrmgic said, emulation is about the only way to play some games  now - Metroid 3, Secret Of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc. I only managed to play FF III this way, but I couldn't be bothered to play through it, and I knew it would be coming out on ds, so there was no point. And it wasn't a good one. It was sort of the same with FE 6 - it hadnt been translated. So you can see why I don't like ROMs.

But now the Virtual Console and X-Box Live Arcade (not forgetting Sony's one) make it kinda pointless to download emulators and ROMs, so nobody will do it - except for those annoying people who refuse to get anything legally. Hopefully, Nintendo will finally release on the VC such classics as Super Metroid and Secret Of Mana, which have never before been re-released. Maybe us Europeans will finally get Earthbound... XD

I still use emulators to play SNES games(FFVI, Earthbound, SoM), but I own the games. I just like being able to play them on my laptop.

"Oh, a hunter..."
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2006, 02:32:10 PM »

Hmmm... I think the only games released on the VC will be ones people will have heard of. So releasing, say, all past FFs would be a good idea, but maybe Marble Madness would not.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: