Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 07:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy III DS gameplay video!  (Read 12309 times)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2006, 05:41:01 AM »

YouTube version
Direct DL version

Looks awesome!  :D
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:44:59 AM »

Hm... Can't say the gameplay looks that inspiring, but it is one heck of an ancient title, so I can let that slide. I'm actually more interested in what they showed right at the end, with the use of both screens to show separate portions of the cutscenes. Might be quite effective in a dramatic sense.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »

I think it looks pretty cool. But yea, the battles seemed to be turn-based. I thought they were going to implement the ATB. Anyone mind clarifying this for me?
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »

Strictly turn base.

The game won't be using both screens for much.  It's using both processors are working on a single screen to increase quality and performance.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »

....hum.
Yeah, it was alright, very cute, should be fun for another retro-final fantasy.  Looks like the "thrill" from combat will come more from class change rather than action.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:19:33 PM »

it looks horrible..

the character animation looked very poor, and I just don't see the advantage of it being in 3d when It uses a overhead view, and the graphics are psone quality.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:28:24 AM »

The DS was based more on innovation rather than the technology, so the PSOne-y graphics are kinda to be expected (at least, from what I've noticed from other DS games).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:36:55 AM »

Plus it's a freakin' /portable/. The PSP is a powerhouse, and it's only halfway between a PSX and a PS2. What the heck were you expecting, a PS3? :P

Plus I get nostalgic for that PSX-style 3D. And I like the art style of this.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 02:49:26 AM »

I think the game looks nice.  I think the visuals will look fine on the console itself.

Radien

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 05:48:16 AM »

Hmm. Well, it might be PSOne quality, but I might point out that they're doing a lot of things right with the available polygon count:

The character is detailed enough to have emotes (both facial and bodily), and they use them. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of this. The boss also looks pretty good. Battle animations are interesting, and it's close enough that you can see the detail.

You may ask why it is in 3D, but remember: Square excels greatly at the video game equivalent of cinematography. They are good at making scenes more dramatically effective through camera pans and fadeouts, which work best in 3D.

This will definitely be VERY old school. They even kept in the shaking screen during battles, and enemies fade away like they did on the NES, rather than have a fancy modern animation. If you can't live without ATB and other modern comforts, well, it looks like this one isn't for you...

~Radien of Lunarnet.

No, not LunarNET... Lunarnet, the IRC network. We've been around even longer than LunarNET, we're just smaller.  There's an #RPGFan channel there. Check it out.

Point your IRC program here:

irc.lunarnet.org
port 6667
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 01:41:54 AM »

I know the DS can't do better than psone quality 3d, that wasn't my point. It's just that the character animations looked pretty bad, and the game is mostly played in an overhead view it looks like. In my opinion I thought it would be better served to just do a 2d recreation for a old school simplistic game. 3d graphics just aren't something that age well for me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 01:46:49 AM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
3d graphics just aren't something that age well for me.

To be fair... That can probably be said for most people. But I think the PS2 games will be different: The 32-bit generation is to 3D what the 16-bit generation was to 2D. Likewise, the generation that's currently ending is the 3D equivilant of the 16-bit generation.

Still though, 8-bit 2D games can still look decent even compared to superior 16 bit titles, and I think FFIII is having that effect. It'd be nice if it were 2D, but hey.

Edit: Decided to be fair and give the movie a shot; I wanted to abstain from as much media as possible outside of a handful of early shots, but better to argue this without being half blind. While not the best animations, I think they work fine, and with characters that unrealistic it's not a concern. Also like the retro sounding effects; hopefully they're kept completely for the US release, unlike DQVIII's. :P
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 04:09:06 AM »

I stand by what Radien put out there in terms of Square-Enix's abilities with 3D in cinematic areas. As nice as 2D is, SE's shown it's capable of bringing down the house when it comes to 3D, and I'm really getting sick of minor facelifts to the ancient classics. It's a good thing to see FF1-6 reprinted/remade (though honestly, IV and VI got so shafted in their PSX remakes), yet I always feel a bit gypped when it comes down to playing them. Outside of FFOrigins, none of the remakes feel truly 'remade', just ported. Sure there are enhancements, but more often than not, I'm left asking myself if it was worth the money.

The effort SE's put into remaking FFIII at least gives me some incentive to buy it. I don't own Anthologies or Chronicles because those remakes just weren't worth it, outside of FFIV's rescript. This? This is full 3D. This is a retake on a classic, and while I didn't really care for the original FFIII, at least this gives me a real reason to take another look at it. It's not just a minor upgrade.

Also, it doesn't look terrible. I dunno where the fuck you're setting your standards, Lucid, but they're WAY too high.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 04:32:04 AM »

Hidoshi: Agreed on the cinematic angle for FFIII, it's already looking better than I can imagine 2D being without anime/CGI cutscenes or whatever. However, I disagree with the FFA/FFC comments, /espicially/ the FFIV bit. Granted, if you already have the games in those collections (FFV exempted as long as you don't know japanese, and roms don't count), there's little reason to get them. Well, there's more reason to get FFIV, but that's more to see a proper translation and what all was different between the US version (not Easytype - read here for details, though it'll spoil you on a bonus boss in FFIV Advance).

However, the collections were a good value, both when they came out and espicially now, for those that never got the original games, such as myself aside from CT. It's essentially 20, now 10 bucks each for games that cost at least twice as much used. And while FFV, VI, and CT got the shaft with porting, what with menu load times and all, FFIV came out damn well. There are no noticeable load times aside from saving/loading, and that's not half as bad as constant menu loads that the other ports suffer from. At /worst/, outside of that I see a tiny bit of slow down in some battle animations... And that sounds better than what FFIV Advance got.

While I wouldn't appreciate being charged full price for these games being just ported - as much as I like IV, it's hard to justify putting down $35 for a moderately enhanced port of a game I just beat - these were sold in collections at a slightly below average pricepoint. Japan, obviously, is a different story with this. But almost all of us don't live there, and they get charged a fuckload more than we do on average anyway.

With all that said... I certainly wouldn't mind overhauled remakes of IV and VI. But since SE doesn't seem to be putting out quite as many original new properties as of late compared to the 16 and 32-bit days, they're very low on my wish list. Wouldn't mind more remakes of games we never got though.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 03:05:48 PM »

I think it looks perfectly fine.  Im ok with the retroness of the battle system.  And I find the graphics to be decently done.  I mean sure, your not gonna get PSP quality 3D, but the DS never will I think.  Frankly, I think this one will do fine as a 3D game, cause it looks like SE is doing a fine job.  I guess im not that much of a stickler for PS1 era 3D graphics, so long as they do it well.

Hopefully this will be an enjoyable title, DS FTW!!!

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: