Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:34:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334822 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Motion Control and Yahtzee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Motion Control and Yahtzee  (Read 1294 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1838-E3-2010

Thoughts?

I for one agree. And I quote, "Games should be about 'games', and not the controller".
I don't like motion control, and no one I've talked to seems to be to hooked on it.  The games don't seem to intuitive and, well, "cool", and I just find there's more option with a controller.  I hate the release of all those family-friendly multiplayers where you push balls or excercise and all that jazz.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:45:06 PM »

I imagine people here really know what games are about while the average Wii player thinks that games really don't go beyond the complexity of Pong or Space Invaders. *shrugs* There are a lot more of them stay-at-home-moms who think the Wii is a work-out machine, than there are "actual" gamers.

I didn't want to use "actual" cause it makes me sound a bit elitest or whatever, but it was all I could think of.

Small children, teenagers who use it for parties and people who want to work out ineffectively. That's all I imagine these "casual" gamers to be.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »

Yahtzee is an annoying cunt, but he's pretty well on target with this.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »

Was just watching that video today, actually. I do agree with him: I don't think there's anything wrong with lite-gaming and motion controllers, as long as they don't push it on the wrong audience.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

funny, Today at work, we talked about rigging a natal as a mouse.  I made a comment about people having to shake and wave their hands like a dipshit to open a document, or check email, etc. lol

As for his argument, I 99% agree, for the wii I think Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes got it right, and for the Natal, that dancing game, if it works as promised will be awesome.  But I guess those would be considered exceptions. 

Oh yeah he is right, the move is just a sex toy, Sony just won't publicly admit it :P

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »

I honestly hope this new market caves in at some point. Give anyone a dualshock or an 360 pad and watch them trump the guy waving his hands like an idiot.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »

Yahtzee is like that part of my brain who is always bitching about everything and is always telling the truth. With that said, I totally agree with him.

Also, Move = Rave Party.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »

I took an HCI course a f... Junior year. Whenever the fuck 2009 was. We watched a bit of Minority Report to look at how that portrayed a futuristic computer interfaces, with the flailing your arms around in the air. Then we looked at modern... touch-table PCs. They look like they'd be really irritating to use after awhile. Like, arm strain and the like.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »

I'll kind of disagree here. Games begin with the way they are controlled. There's a reason we evolved from the Atari controllers. However, my problem with motion control is that the controller is no longer evolving to fit gaming, but gaming is evolving to fit the controller. Regardless of this there are some games that take great advantage of the motion control for the Wii, but they are quite few (that truly utilize it)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »

However, my problem with motion control is that the controller is no longer evolving to fit gaming, but gaming is evolving to fit the controller.

We may disagree on plenty of stuff, but that I'll agree with you on.  It's like when DS games put stylus control in them "just because."  Not every DS game required use of the stylus and sometimes it was just a hinderance, either because it was arbitrary or because it was poorly calibrated.  Granted, some games like Trace Memory used the stylus, microphone, even the sleep mode to great effect. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »

Proper use of DS functionality is great, but there have been some severe flaws. Diddy Kong Racing for example, a fantastic game, relied on the stylus spinning around some wheel on the touch screen for the boost when you start a race. What kind of absurd design is that?

I think that the DS developers have realized now that you don't exacly need to use all the functionality. Wii Developers seem to be taking the other direction, finding out how to use the tech in newer ways. The new Zelda could control really well, but to be honest the perfect iteration of Twilight Princess would have been one where I could use a button to swing the sword and the infrared pointer to aim ranged attacks.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »

I think that the DS developers have realized now that you don't exacly need to use all the functionality.

As far as I was aware, near the start of the DS launch Nintendo required every game to use the touch screen in some fashion which is why so many early ds games just have something dumb to touch in them. Same for the Wii and waggle bullshit. It makes sense since the systems rely on a "gimmick", you want to make sure your audience is experiencing what you are marketing. I have nothing against different forms of control, as was stated a little earlier, we've moved past the Atari joystick and motion controls will have the same type of evolution and I'm sure will be around for quite some time.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »

I'm not sure if Nintendo can force people to use functionality, but it would be practical early in the lifecycle to use the features since thats what the audience was focused on.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »

If apple can just tell people, "You're holding it wrong" im sure Nintendo has similar power.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: