Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:32:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332854 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A game with memorable storyline and characters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: A game with memorable storyline and characters  (Read 6096 times)
Scar

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »

There is a topic somewhere here where someone asks for a game with a nice story.  I am not all sad with the fact that I am not able to find this old topic, because that topic wasnt that helpful since it kinda lose its goal.

I really give vallue in a game with memorable storyline and characters like all Final Fantasy (Balthier, Auron, Jecht, Zidane...) and Chrono Cross (Kid, Kid, Kid)

Vagrant story has a good story and characters but I only finished it because I played in epsxe using the system of saves of the emulator. Its a hard game, unlike Final Fantasy.

if you know what I mean, I want a game like Final Fantasy X (I am afraid it doesnt exist).

please no spoilers.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

I am not all sad with the fact that I am not able to find this old topic, because that topic wasnt that helpful since it kinda lose its goal.

There might be a reason for that!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »

Persona 3 and Dragon Quest VIII are memorables.

There might be a reason for that!

Oh, really!?
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »

Mass Effect
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »

Agreed about Persona 3, it's one of the few games I can think back on that had both a memorable story and characters.  Also, the characters and story from the Shadow Hearts games were quite memorable...Yuri <3 even if From the New World wasn't quite on par in the story department or with the characters like the first two were, it still had its good aspects.  I've been really disappointed with most of the RPGS (JRPGS in particular) on this current gen's systems.  None have quite struck me like they did in the PS2 era; the characters are missing gusto, and i haven't had a story that really just drew me in. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »

Persona 4!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »

Persona 2!

FFVI also comes to mind.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:33 AM »

Oh, really!?

I haven't seen too many great examples, at least for JRPGs, and usually threads like these list all the great examples within a page or two with no real surprises. You'll exhaust your really good options within a page or two, and that'd probably be it. Also, many of the stories I remember most fondly I suspect wouldn't hold up as well if I were to replay the games, Final Fantasy IV's certainly didn't.

Still, I forgot he didn't actually specify JRPGs, or even RPGs period, so I may as well list some off the top of my head:

The Phoenix Wright series
Almost every Lucasarts graphic adventure, and by extension Doublefine and TellTale's libraries.
Most of Bioware's lineup.
Team Ico's games, though not in the same fashion as just about any other suggestion you'll see
Many Shin Megami Tensei games. I liked Nocturne's story and setting, DDS has more cutscenes if you'd rather have that though, and everyone else is recommending the Personas as it is.
Killer7
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, at the very least it tries for something different from prior BoF games and what most other RPGs period do.
The Dragon Quest series
The Tales games tend not to have original characters or narratives in regards to JRPGs, but the characters are usually done well enough to be more likeable than most other examples of their archetypes.
Vagrant Story, one of my favorites in regards to JRPGs.

I also see everyone praising Planescape Torment's story, and I HAVE liked what I played of it even though I still need to see it through to the end sometime.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:11:02 AM by Eusis » Logged
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »

Xenogears is still the most memorable in these two categories to me, that game never really lets you go, neither the characters nor the events, but that's PS1 now, maybe that's too far back.

I'll second the Shadow Hearts series, those get overlooked and a number of the others already mentioned.  

Xenosaga, except for 2 since it was paired down so much and with all the odd choices and obvious staff changes and their effect, had some great characters and the makings of another engrossing in-depth story that started great in 1 but got stopped perhaps just short of being as special as it could have been but is still more in-depth than many stories and 3 really made up for 2. I wonder if Xenoblade will as well, despite having nothing to do with Xeno, some of the streaming playthroughs had some interesting looking events but I've not seen much even though I don't have a Wii.  

Suikoden's stories may not be unique enough to qualify but I guess I'll mention it because the series qualifies in terms of especially a large number of memorable characters IMO.  If not going back to PS1, 5's a great one to play as it recaptures the magic of the first two games with quite a few memorable characters.  

Wild Arms while one of my favs in this area may have too many safe parts in it's characters and stories to qualify but I always find the characters and story remarkably enjoyable if not groundbreaking or quite as engrossing as the best, probably kind of like Tales in this fashion.

Great mention of Team Ico's games, it's incredible what they do in this regard the way they go about it, got to second that.  The Last Guardian is totally going to deliver in this area, even just the simple trailer exudes it!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:53:19 AM by Kos-mos » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:51:48 AM »

Team Ico for storyline and memorable characters? Get the fuck out.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »

Great story doesn't equal walls of text. Stories light on narrative can be succesful and engaging as well, and in the world of video games especially so.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:24 AM »

Great story doesn't equal walls of text. Stories light on narrative can be succesful and engaging as well, and in the world of video games especially so.

Look, I loved the games as much as the next guy, but you're reaching if you honestly believe the characters and story in those games to be on a high quality level.

*Bunch of gibberish destroy statues gibberish rescue girl*

Thats the entire story.

The games have great atmosphere and gameplay and setting, but characters and story? No way.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:11:18 AM »

since we're on that subject of generic stories being memorable, I'm gonna add tower of druaga and FF1 since people seem to like copying those *basic* formulas because they're so memorable and compelling.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:24 AM »

Digital Devil Saga 1+2 had great characters and story.

Here's an over view of the first game: Digital Devil Saga is set in the Junkyard, a vast, post-apocalyptic wasteland  in which it is constantly raining. All residents of the Junkyard adhere to elements of Hinduism, and seem to be reincarnated  when they die, aware of their past lives. Six main tribes, the Embyron, Vanguards, Maribel, Solids, Brutes, and Wolves, fight to destroy each other and earn passage into Nirvana.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »

In RPGs- definitely the Digital Devil Saga games.  And Planescape Torment.  My personal favorite RPG story was that of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment namely because of the cast, both the main characters and the NPCs (particularly some of the characters' parents.)  

If graphic adventures (both western and Japanese style) are fair game as well, Ever17: The Out of Infinity.  Sure Hirameki's localization was a bit rough, but the storyline was really gripping and the characters were wonderful.  Tsugumi Komachi= amazing character.  There's a reason Ever17 is my favorite video game of all time.  I say this all the time that anyone compelled by Albedo in the Xenosaga games should play Ever17 and meet Tsugumi. 

My favorite western style graphic adventure is Broken Sword.  And I also recommend the Gabriel Knight games.  Fantastic storylines and characters.  The first Broken Sword game was recently remade on Wii and DS. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:20:00 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: