Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 01:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331450 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  I have a PS3 (finally). Reccomend me stuff!!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: I have a PS3 (finally). Reccomend me stuff!!!!!!  (Read 3942 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »

RPG or not (preferably not sport; I play those at my buds house for free).

Can I just add, I'm a happy little girl right now. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »

I think most everyone will pretty much echo these recommendations: Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, EDIT: and Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:41:10 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:39:24 AM »

I think everyone will pretty much echo these recommendations: Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, and Little Big Planet

I have 1 of the 3 (LBP- it was cheep cheep cheep), I can borrow another 1 of the 3 (HR), and I need a pretty damn good recommendation of VC (is it limited to *strictly* battles?  I had enough of that after maxing FF13 :( ... )

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »

Personally I am LOVING Super Street Fighter IV right now. If you dig fighting games it is hard to miss.

But with LBP you'll have tons of fun on your hands, it's a game you'll find yourself going back to again and again.

:-)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:17 AM »

My favourites on PS3 (though I'm sure there will be some disagreement) are...

- LittleBigPlanet
- Heavy Rain
- Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope
- Demon's Souls
- Uncharted 1 and/or 2
- Siren Blood Curse (if you like horror)
- Modnation Racers (I've been really enjoying)
- BlazBlue (best fighter on the system)
- Devil May Cry 4
- Katamari Forever (I LOVE this)
- inFamous (is pretty fun)
- Darksiders

That was way more than I was planning to list... :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »

VC has lengthy battles that hold the bulk of the gameplay, but every battle is meaningful and feels like an interactive part of the story (save for the training center battles purely for level building.)  I found battling fun and involved too (they're a mix of SRPG and realtime.)  And the story itself is fantastic with very lengthy cutscenes.  The game is presented as more like an interactive book.  I picked it up new for 20 USD and it's a game I'd have paid full price for.  

And in my edit, I mentioned Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.  If you like action platformers, it's a fun one.  

I'll +1 BlazBlue too.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »

The best game I've played on the PS3 this year hands down was Heavy Rain.  The controls might take some time to get used to, but damn talk about a story that played with my mind from the beginning to the end...just wow.  Blazblue is also a great fighting game, but at this point I'd wait for Continuum Shift, which is out the 27th.  I'd rent Heavenly Sword, fun game, but I think it takes around 6 hours or so to beat, so it's one of those games to give a spin, but probably not worth investing in.  Call me a dork, but I also really liked the new Ratchet & Clank game, A Crack in Time.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »

Dice, as far as rpgs go, you should get VC and Demon's Souls if you don't mind the challenge, as you probably already know the game is hard.
Uncharted 2 is the first game any PS3 owner should get, it's platinum so it's a no-brainer. Don't even waste time reading the rest of this post and go buy it. I also recommend the prequel, it's almost as good.
If you like the metal gear franchise MGS4 will blow your mind.
Download flower from the PSN store, you will love it, believe me.
If you want an action game that redefines the word epic and is the best looking console game on the market along with uncharted 2 get god of war 3, be warned though that the game is extremely violent.
Heavy Rain is great but might not be your cup of tea, play the demo.
If you like the idea of a GTA4 where your character has fantastic super powers and the city reacts to the way you behave, infamous is a great choice, it's also platinum, I've seen it with ridiculous prices.
The latest ratchet and clank will satisfy all your platforming needs.
If you like the concept of little big planet the game is dirt cheap but you might also want to wait for the sequel which will improve on it tenfold.
If yoú like first person shooters try killzone 2, another game that will blow your mind with its visuals.
I don't know if you like wipeout, HD + the fury expansion can be downloaded from PSN or bought on disc (it's the same price) for peanuts, even if you're not into racers the game is just too damn fun. The game combines insane visuals with lightning speed and is as smooth as it gets, it's a joy to play and watch.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »

Oh, and go watch the last guardian trailers because once you do you will feel all warm and fuzzy inside whenever you think about it though the wait will be painfull, I don't think we'll be playing it by this time next year.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »

If you like the Disgaea series, get 3. It's my favorite of the franchise.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions (so far?)!!!!  I definitely have some shopping to do (and cash to save).
I've really enjoyed the turn-around of fantastic States/Euro-made games that have completely floored Japanese ones (I probably won't get BlazBlue; I'm not too fond of fighters, and the characters look pretentious and retarded... I'd actually prefer the stereotyped ethnic designs of Street Fighter :P )

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »

Heck keep 'em coming I'm enjoying hearing the suggestions!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »

Uncharted 2 is the first game any PS3 owner should get

This is the correct answer.  If you own a PS3 and haven't played this game, then something is wrong with you.  If I've offended anyone with this, it was entirely intentional.

Naughty Dog is an amazing development team, and what they pulled off with Uncharted 2 is nothing short of incredible.  A lot more people need to play the game.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »

Dead Space >:}
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

Lets not forget Yakuza 3.  If you liked River City Ransom, you'll like Yakuza.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: