Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340986 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Solomon's Keep - iPod game I love
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Solomon's Keep - iPod game I love  (Read 483 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »

I thought I'd started a thread about this, but couldn't find it... so I'm starting a new one. :)

There's a game on the iOS that I have been playing for a while now, and I love it soooo much.  It's called Solomon's Keep, and it's a dual-stick RPG.  I'd review it for the site, except that a) I'm not sure it quite meets the site's definition of an RPG, and more importantly, b) I would be completely unable to be objective. :)  It's only a buck, and there's a lite version if you want to try it before you buy it.

Long story short, you fight your way up a tower, with 3 mid-bosses along the way to the final boss on the 13th (and final) level.  When you beat him with a character, you can move on with that character to two more difficulty levels.  You can play hardcore, allowing just one life, or not, allowing you to try again every time you die.  I've never managed to beat the second difficulty in hardcore, but I keep trying anyway, because it keeps being fun.

In typical RPG fashion, beating enemies earns you XP.  Each time you earn enough XP and level up, you are offered three semi-random skills, which may be new to you or upgrades to skills you already have.  There are three basic attack skills, and you can stick with one or learn multiples and improve them both.  Learning more than one will give you the chance to weld the skills together (fire + lightning = flame lash), but it also means dividing up the skill points you put into each.  There are also a bunch of support skills, all of which have their uses.  The random nature of the skills offered to you at level up means that you keep trying new things.

In "town," there is a guy who sells you weapons, rings, and potions, as well as a guy who sells you skill upgrades.  Your first upgrade costs 300, and each subsequent upgrade (in normal difficulty) costs 300 more, regardless of whether you're upgrading Lightning from level 7 to 8 or Mana Up from level 1 to 2.  Some games, I save up cash for sweet gear, and other times, the skill dude has better options.

Seriously, if you have an iPod Touch/iPhone and are reading this post, you should get this game.  At least try the free version!  (And please come back and comment about it here.) :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: