Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327876 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Obsidian Would Like To Work On Chrono Trigger
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Obsidian Would Like To Work On Chrono Trigger  (Read 7951 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

I still feel that Obsidian's games have been quite good.  KOTOR II was still a solid game, and only suffered due to lucasarts ramming them in the ass to get it out for the holiday season.  As for Alpha Protocol...I have a feeling Sega tried to pull the same shit.  NWN2 and its expansions were damn good games, and were no more buggy than Biowares NWN games.  While Alpha Protocol was a bit disappointing in terms of technically prowess, I still thoroughly enjoyed the game, though I undertstand the complaints.  I will still back Obsidian up though, I think they can do what they need to do, I just feel they get hamstrung alot by the publishers, but what do I know of the gaming business world *shrug*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »

I would honestly love to play this theoretical game.  I don't care about lore or canon or all of that stuff, but I think that this game would be worthwhile and very interesting.

There's no way it would be a CD-i Zelda as many people in this thread seem to think.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »

I must have been mistaken in thinking these Obsidian characters are good. I had heard good things and kind of went with it. If only I cared about WRPGs.

Why don't you? WRPGs are where RPGs are at right now.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

As for Alpha Protocol...I have a feeling Sega tried to pull the same shit.

Are you basing this on anything?  If Sega was rushing the game's release then why was it massively delayed?  Did you read that joystiq post by somebody claiming to be a developer at Obsidian?  He puts the blame for Alpha Protocol squarely on Obsidian and paints a pretty bleak picture of the company as a whole.

The battle between publishers who want to release a game and developers who want more time is nothing new.  Good developers can work within those constraints and still make good games.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »

I must have been mistaken in thinking these Obsidian characters are good. I had heard good things and kind of went with it. If only I cared about WRPGs.

Why don't you? WRPGs are where RPGs are at right now.

It's not anything like I don't like the tales they tell, or the characters they have. I'm just not a fan of the gameplay, that's all. I watch my boyfriend play WRPG's since he enjoys them far more than I ever will. Of course, I'm not really talking about WRPG's like any RPG made in the West. Just a general term for the genre.

As Dincrest plugs every other day, Anachronox is a fantastic JRPG that isn't even from Japan.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »

I guess someone accustomed to JRPG Gameplay would have a hard time adjusting to WRPG gameplay. You should try some of the older titles though, especially ones that focus on story and characters heavily over gameplay.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »

Ah, the old JRPG vs. WRPG argument.  I will say this, though: not all WRPGs are the same.  I am bored to death with Bethesda games.  Fallout 3 just didn't do anything for me.  But I loved Dragon Age: Origins.  Bioware makes good stuff.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »

a remake?
I still haven't played this game yet, though I plan to do that once i get a ds this christmas.
it had a remake just a while ago and it feels almost like that thing atlus did with releasing a bunch of stuff related to p3 in just a couple of years without remaking persona 2 games namely for anyone outside of japan.
about WRPG's, most of them that i've seen so far lack a certain charm that games (like chrono trigger) seem to have and I'd be afraid it would lose that
if squeenix does allow this, it should let monolith (now part of nintendo) some involvement in it.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »

Ah, the old JRPG vs. WRPG argument.  I will say this, though: not all WRPGs are the same.  I am bored to death with Bethesda games.  Fallout 3 just didn't do anything for me.  But I loved Dragon Age: Origins.  Bioware makes good stuff.

Strange, I'm the opposite.  I feel that Bioware games are rather dull nowl but still enjoy Bethesda.

I'm of mind that there's no point in JRPG vs WRPG though.  Why not just enjoy both? You certainly can't say you hate all JRPGs or all WRPGs because there's too many of them to put under a blanket term like that.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »

I was not aware of said Joystiq article, and I meant more that Sega hamstrung them in some way, but as I said I could be wrong.  And I still feel like KOTOR 2 was a good game, but it could have been greater had they been given the time.  Regardless, New Vegas will be the determining factor for me on whether or not Obsidian is suck.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 01:10:14 AM »

Play WRPGs or I will beat you up
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 01:52:58 AM »

I would honestly love to play this theoretical game.  I don't care about lore or canon or all of that stuff, but I think that this game would be worthwhile and very interesting.

There's no way it would be a CD-i Zelda as many people in this thread seem to think.

Of course I would play it too, but if a CT remake happens, it'll only happen once, and I'm not a gambling man.  I've never understood why Obsidian gets so much praise.  I thought KOTOR2 was good, but not as good as the original and as such considered Obsidian to be merely okay.  You'd pretty much have to not care about canon or any fannish stuff, considering the reaction Chrono Cross elicited, and that game came from all the right people.

I agree with Obsidian otherwise; they should make an RPG with a less realistic anime style (like Chrono Trigger).  It seems that every game with conversation trees takes itself very seriously and realistically: KOTOR, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, The Witcher, Mass Effect... I'm not just being selective with my memory am I?  

The key isn't in Chrono Trigger itself, it's in making a WRPG with JRPG content, like they said.  CT is a good example, I'll give them that, but I don't know if I could stop analyzing the differences between the original and Obsidian's version as I played.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:57:55 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »

Hey, I've noticed that too. wRPGs all seem to be quite serious and heavy on the realism, sometimes to a laughable degree. I think I would have enjoyed Dragon Age a lot more if it was more stylized and less realistic. It felt too realistic for it's own good. Hell, it was cliche kitch fantasy. Someone really needs to make a lighthearted "romp" but with wRPG sensibilities.

People say that jRPGs are stuck in a rutt, and they are. But wRPGs are all serious, bleak, and realistic. It gets a little old after a while. At least jRPGs aren't afraid to do random fun things for comic relief.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »

Prime Mover- That's why a game like Deathspank by HotHead Games holds some appeal.  It's a hack 'n slash RPG, but has the kind of humor of classic graphic adventures like Monkey Island.   http://www.deathspank.com

As for everything being stuck in a rut, I point you to this Roundtable from 2007: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/roundtable2007/index.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:50:46 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »

At least jRPGs aren't afraid to do random fun things for comic relief.

The problem with this is that I seriously can only recall a very few JRPGs that I actually found funny. Almost all JRPGs HAVE a lot of stuff in them for comedic relief purposes. It's just, as I said, not even remotely funny. I mean, it's like... There's Earthbound, Mother 3, and Dragon Quest 5 and 8's humor's so intentionally goofy that it works. Outside of those four?

I generally think JRPGs would be better if they didn't try to be funny because they pretty much always fail at it. This also applies to WRPGs, of course.

Also most JRPGs that are fun romps seem more like they're intended for someone who's like ten years younger than me. And I'm not really one to talk because I'm watching Arthur on PBSKids right now but shut the fuck up this is my dream.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: