Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  There is no free lemonade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: There is no free lemonade  (Read 3456 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »

http://www.suntimes.com/business/savage/2464546,CST-NWS-savage05.savagearticle

Little girls, destroying America - one cup of lemonade at a time.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »

Is this guy serious? If so, it seems to me that he is overreacting. As Gale would say "I do not comprehend".

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »

Yes, I think his compassion chip is malfuctioning. He needs to get taken into the shop for a repair or an upgrade or something. Meep mop.

Apparently is he kinda notorious for this sort of thing.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »

Sounds like that article years ago where some lady wanted to shut down some kids' corner lemonade stand because it didn't have proper business permits and all.  Or the biddy in this other article years ago who wanted to sue a couple of teenage girls for criminal trespass or something because they were leaving homemade cookies on their neighbors' doorsteps. 

It's hard being a kid, eh?  Damned if you do nice things, damned if you don't do nice things. 

My initial reaction after reading this guy's article is, "What an asshole."

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »

Can you imagine what it must have been like for them?

Random person number 1: "Wow, thank you for the lemonade"
Girls: "You're welcome"

Random person number 2: "You are doing a great thing here"
Girls: "Thank you"

Jerk: "What the hell do you kids think you are doing? This is the real world, not your little fantasy land! Are you retarded or something? God, this is why I never want kids"
Girls: "..."
Brother: "So...how much?"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:45:34 PM by Darilon » Logged

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »

My initial reaction after reading this guy's article is, "What an asshole."

My thought exactly :)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »

Terry Savage is female.
I also partially agree with her. Whether the children know it or not, having a lemonade stand is an early lesson in economics. Giving it away for free, while a nice thing to do, simply makes no sense. People expect to pay SOMEthing. Children may not understand how valuable time alone is, but those buying(or trying to) certainly do.
Now, if this is just a one time thing, I wouldn't think anything of it. But if Mom/Dad/Nanny let her do this on a routine basis, she may be in for a rude awakening sooner rather than later.
So much should one pay for a cup of lemonade? .25? .5? 1.00? What is the going rate nowadays? I've only seen one in my neighborhood lately, and I haven't stopped because I don't like the kids doing it.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »

Lemonade stands, no matter what people think, do not teach economics at all. All kids think they are doing is playing shop, which is the fun part. They don't care about money. They get the thrill from seeing people happy with what they have done for them. Not being they are now 25 cents richer.

That's how I felt as a kid anyway.

My problem with this is, that it is showing  charity and good-will as an evil and corruptible thing for children to do. Now what kind of lesson is that? You think people who work in soup kitchens to feed the homeless need to wake up and get in tune with the "real world"? These kids were doing a nice, Christian, chartable act. Giving up their free time to nourish people who wanted it.

Children are more than little vessels to promote profit and continue the cog of the society they grew up in. These children will learn the value of money in time, when they start getting an allowance or get their first job.

Have you ever heard someone talk about how they wished they didn't give anyone some free lemonade, cause if they didn't they would be a billionaire right now?

What a ridiculous over-reaction to a couple of children wanting to play shop and help people. Nice to know no one is safe from being vindicated.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:42:23 PM »

Starmongoose echoes my thoughts exactly. Charity is always a great lesson to learn and something that writer clearly needs. If I were the guardian I wouldve dragged her out of the car and poured lemonade down her throat until she were thoroughly satisfied.

All kidding aside though I think it's ironic that this author is illustrating the problems of America stemming from too much charity when in my opinion it is the complete opposite. It's to the point that people no longer trust each other's charity. I hate wasting food and will always give any I didn't eat to someone on the street but more and more people refuse to accept it. No one trusts what's free.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »

I wouldn't call what those girls are doing "charity" (anyone approaching the stand, in all probability, could probably easily afford a child's cup of lemonade). Not that I expect them to go around giving hobos cups of lemonades either- it's just that their 'free' enterprise strikes me as sweet but pointless. I do not think it will particularly hurt or benefit them in the long run.

Savage's article seems like a long-winded way of saying that people simply expect too much from the Government in terms of economics. I guess she wants to get across that the Government doesn't just 'give' you things, you're essentially paying for it through taxes and if you want more things from them, you naturally have to deal with high taxes. Obvious, duh. That is, putting aside any public opinion to reform the distribution of tax revenues (reducing benefits on one hand to increase a benefit that is in higher demand) because in the end, people just want more of everything. :P

The whole lemonade story is just a good way to draw attention to an issue that is (IMO) far-removed from the example.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »

I wouldn't call what those girls are doing "charity" (anyone approaching the stand, in all probability, could probably easily afford a child's cup of lemonade). Not that I expect them to go around giving hobos cups of lemonades either- it's just that their 'free' enterprise strikes me as sweet but pointless. I do not think it will particularly hurt or benefit them in the long run.

Savage's article seems like a long-winded way of saying that people simply expect too much from the Government in terms of economics. I guess she wants to get across that the Government doesn't just 'give' you things, you're essentially paying for it through taxes and if you want more things from them, you naturally have to deal with high taxes. Obvious, duh. That is, putting aside any public opinion to reform the distribution of tax revenues (reducing benefits on one hand to increase a benefit that is in higher demand) because in the end, people just want more of everything. :P

The whole lemonade story is just a good way to draw attention to an issue that is (IMO) far-removed from the example.

It's a good point. And I knew what she was trying to get at, it was just bad journalism.

I wish she didn't claim it was a true story at the start though, really made me feel bad for those little girls. It also doesn't hide the fact the woman still is an asshole. No matter what point she was trying to make, she painted a portrait of these children as ignorant, but still evil little devil spawn. I didn't appreciate it.

I fear that if this woman could have the world her way all the buildings would be of practical aesthetic and everyone would wear grey suits and say things like "Your baby is making unrealistic demands for attention. Have you explained to the child that time is money and that you are far to busy worshipping the Profit to deal with it?"

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »

The guy makes a lot of sense. America is fucked.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »

But it is charity.  Charity isn't just about giving to those less fortunate, it's about giving with no expectation of any return, which is what those girls were doing, and in that sense learning.  There is a great lesson in there which is just simply the act of giving.  Will it branch over into other aspects of their lives?  Who knows, but there's something there and that writer completely bastardized it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »

I would love charging old people to keep the door open.  I'm sick of this "kindness" nonsense!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »

It's a good point. And I knew what she was trying to get at, it was just bad journalism.

It also doesn't hide the fact the woman still is an asshole. No matter what point she was trying to make, she painted a portrait of these children as ignorant, but still evil little devil spawn. I didn't appreciate it.

Agreed.

I disagree with the whole "it's charity" point of view. But I'm thinking of this economically- to me, giving people something they can readily afford is a waste if you can give the same thing to a poorer demographic who can't afford it. It's not wrong to do the former (in fact, it's pretty touching on its own), just inefficient compared to the alternative. Those girls have the right idea and I agree with Azreal... it may branch over into other aspects of their lives. They will grow older and they might start to focus their kindness on what I consider "real" or efficient charity.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: