Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341160 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 71868 times)
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »

That first image of the female mage, fucking badass. It looks like the polygon count is way up too, so im not gonna complain. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda out of all of them, so the art direction really doesnt bother me.
Kyle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »

Female mage? Did you see a different shot than I did?

Anyway, I loved Wind Waker too. The problem here? Dragon Age is dark fantasy. Realistic, historic kind of fantasy. Giving it a cartoon look is completely different than giving Zelda - a light, whimsical fantasy - celshaded graphics.

I don't see Bioware's logic here unless they're trying to make it look "cool" by using some modern graphic novel style.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »

Hmmm, I think the first shot of Hawk looks pretty good.  The second one is a bit more difficult to make out.  I kinda like the focus on triangles and edges because it does make it look fairly different.  At the same time, there isn't much detail, so that's where the WOW comparisons come in.  I need to see more to get a real feel for it.
Kyle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »

Yeah, the first one isn't as bad, but the second one is pretty hideous. Unfinished, no doubt. I hope. Seeing it in action might be relieving as well if animation is good and stuff.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 01:01:55 AM »

If the first one is Hawk, than my bad. I dunno, I can see your point in the dark fantasy thing, the problem with that is if you want to capture THAT mood, most games end up with generic medieval art. Definitely agree with Robbie, more than two shots of in game assets would be appreciated.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 01:16:39 AM »

Honestly, I think EA is starting to wear off on Bioware.  I'd like to think they are able to produce all these games (for PC too! I know they are a PC developer..) because they are with EA now and have a much bigger staff to work with, but in all honesty, I think they are just streamlining the fuck out of their games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Mass Effect fanboy, but they streamlined the SHIT out of ME2.  And Dragon Age (on consoles anyways..) just felt like a quick redo of the Mass Effect series, basically a Swords and Magic style Mass Effect.  I thought the first DA was decent but I don't really have any high expectations from DA2.  Or ME3 for that matter.

I'm not trying to flame Bioware by any means, I can't really even talk on that count as I've never really played Baldur's Gate or KOTOR.  I just hate to see EA wearing off on Bioware, the same way Activision is wearing off on Blizzard.  It's like having a band you really love make mediocre CD's every year, or one really fuckin' good one once every 5 years.  But the realist in me constantly reminds me that video games are a business.  Business is money.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 01:34:11 AM »

Good points all around, but keep in mind that Dragon Age: Origins was complete around March of 2009 on the PC.  The release was held off while they completed the admittedly shoddy ports on the consoles.  The March 2011 release date for DA2 will mark a project that they were at least working on for two years.  I think Bioware probably put some of the original Dragon Age content in DA2.  I mean, Origins was in development for nearly five years before it was released!
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

And Dragon Age (on consoles anyways..) just felt like a quick redo of the Mass Effect series, basically a Swords and Magic style Mass Effect.

DAO on the PC doesn't really feel like ME at all, though I could see how it would a little with the lack of being able to control your party fully or move the camera. They're structured similarly, but that's something Bioware have done in nearly every game since KOTOR (linear beginning, visit hubs in any order, linear end). By the sounds of things they might be trying a different structure in DA2 for once.

DAO PC feels more like a hybrid of BG2 and KOTOR. It lets you choose between the controls of both, the difficulty and level of depth is closer to BG2 and it's structured more like KOTOR.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:03:39 AM by DPB » Logged
Kyle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »

Honestly, I think EA is starting to wear off on Bioware.  I'd like to think they are able to produce all these games (for PC too! I know they are a PC developer..) because they are with EA now and have a much bigger staff to work with, but in all honesty, I think they are just streamlining the fuck out of their games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Mass Effect fanboy, but they streamlined the SHIT out of ME2.  And Dragon Age (on consoles anyways..) just felt like a quick redo of the Mass Effect series, basically a Swords and Magic style Mass Effect.  I thought the first DA was decent but I don't really have any high expectations from DA2.  Or ME3 for that matter.

I'm not trying to flame Bioware by any means, I can't really even talk on that count as I've never really played Baldur's Gate or KOTOR.  I just hate to see EA wearing off on Bioware, the same way Activision is wearing off on Blizzard.  It's like having a band you really love make mediocre CD's every year, or one really fuckin' good one once every 5 years.  But the realist in me constantly reminds me that video games are a business.  Business is money.

This is what I'm worried about too. I mentioned it a bit in my DA Awakening review or DLC review or something. I'm pretty convinced EA is corrupt, and I've been worried that they'll ruin Bioware's games for a while now. Not that any of their games actually have been ruined yet, but the direction they seem to be going is what worries me. There are signs, and they're not good. But perhaps we should just trust Bioware to deliver.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »

Lets just be thankful that Obsidian isnt making DA2.
Kyle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »

Lets just be thankful that Obsidian isnt making DA2.

Perhaps we should count our blessings.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

I like it. I was not a fan of the first game's graphical style. Too uncanny valley for me.

Anyway I just hope they have exploitable glitches again this time. Last time I enjoyed duping items and leveling to max just to see what kind of havoc I could wreak.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »

And Dragon Age (on consoles anyways..) just felt like a quick redo of the Mass Effect series, basically a Swords and Magic style Mass Effect.

DAO on the PC doesn't really feel like ME at all, though I could see how it would a little with the lack of being able to control your party fully or move the camera.

DAO on consoles doesn't feel anything like ME either.  You can still control your party and move the camera (though they did remove the isometric view for some reason).  I'm not really sure what Masamune is talking about.

It doesn sound like DA2 is going to be a lot more ME-like, though.  I can't say that makes me happy...I liked DAO because it wasn't ME.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 07:11:23 AM »

DAO on consoles doesn't feel anything like ME either.  You can still control your party and move the camera (though they did remove the isometric view for some reason).  I'm not really sure what Masamune is talking about.

I meant being able to select more than one character at once and move by clicking on a spot, as opposed to having to move each character one by one with the analog stick, and as you said, the lack of the isometric view. Not having those things would make the game feel pretty different to me, but more like a fantasy KOTOR than ME.

It does sound like DA2 is going to be a lot more ME-like, though.  I can't say that makes me happy...I liked DAO because it wasn't ME.

Agreed. Most of all, I just hope that Hawke is going to be a much less predefined character than Shepard.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »

I'd rather they finish the bugfest that is DAO and Awakenings first.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: