Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338196 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 70700 times)
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »

I'd rather they finish the bugfest that is DAO and Awakenings first.

Its all fixed on PC  :D
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 09:11:58 AM »

I'd rather they finish the bugfest that is DAO and Awakenings first.

Its all fixed on PC  :D

Is 1.04 out for PC already?

Last I read on the message board, there are several bugs which won't be fixed on the consoles due to sizing of patches/updates with XBL and PSN and how the game was programmed. Lame.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 05:27:36 PM »

It has been confirmed that they are 'simplifying' the dialog system:

Quote from: IGN
We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.

That does not sound like an improvement to me.  One of Dragon Age's greatest strengths, in my opinion, is the complexity of the choices you had to make.  Things were not always black or white.  That's a good thing.  Now they want it to just be a matter of being mean or nice?  Ugh.  Do not want.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »

This is actually not true at all, it's simply very poor reporting from IGN. One particular dialogue in the demo IGN were shown had only three options, but that doesn't mean that all of them do. Here are some posts from developers on the Bioware forums:

We put up to 5 choice options and 5 investigate options per dialog node. There is also a difference between choices (where you are actually deciding something) and giving you the opportunity to express yourself in different ways (which I think is quite cool, but not something I believe we have released any details on yet).

I'm not really sure where the "there are only three options for dialog" impression they got came from. Perhaps it was when I showed one half of the dialog wheel with three options...which, you know, leaves another half open for...you know...other....options. *Shrug*

Also probably worth noting that we're not locked into specific icons per place in the wheel. Oh no. We have -much- more flexibility than that.

I imagine that's the only dialogue he saw? The demo is pretty action-packed and there's only the one conversation-- which, yes, has three options in it. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, however, that's not all we're limited to.

The personality options (which the article mis-characterizes, I'm afraid-- they may have been more his impression of the lines he saw rather than our explanation of them) have a bit more complexity as to what they affect. That's probably part of a larger conversation, however, so we'll talk about it at length later.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:48:27 PM by DPB » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »

Thank God!  That IGN report scared the shit out of me.
jalexbrown

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »

From what I've seen, Dragon Age 2 looks like it's going towards the Mass Effect route.  I'll still pick it up, but I doubt I'll like it nearly as much as the first one.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »

From what I've seen, Dragon Age 2 looks like it's going towards the Mass Effect route.  I'll still pick it up, but I doubt I'll like it nearly as much as the first one.

Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:04 AM »

The key issue for PS3 / Xbox versions is whether they're going to implement a top down view IMO. Otherwise it's PC version for me again.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »

Bioware seems absolutely convinced that console gamers don't want a top-down view.  I have no idea why, though.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »

Bioware seems absolutely convinced that console gamers don't want a top-down view.  I have no idea why, though.

Apparently, it was cut due to the lack of memory on consoles. The engine wasn't built with them in mind and they only started porting it in the last year of development.

According to a german magazine, it looks like we won't be getting it on the PC this time either. They say it's because it would increase hardware requirements, but I can't say I believe that - DAO runs well on the highest settings on fairly modest hardware, and I just don't see how this could be so much more demanding that they have to cut one of the key features. I think it's more likely that don't want to balance the combat for two entirely different control schemes again.

Very disappointing. Don't upgrade the graphics if it's going to negatively affect the gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:21:47 AM by DPB » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 05:29:47 AM »

PCs are an adaptable platform, just put it in there, worst case scenario it'll be fine in a few years when everyone has updated computers. They probably will actually if there's enough fan backlash, and they did say the battle system wouldn't be changed as much for PC as for consoles.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »

According to a german magazine, it looks like we won't be getting it on the PC this time either. They say it's because it would increase hardware requirements, but I can't say I believe that - DAO runs well on the highest settings on fairly modest hardware, and I just don't see how this could be so much more demanding that they have to cut one of the key features. I think it's more likely that don't want to balance the combat for two entirely different control schemes again.

According to this post there won't be a top-down view on PC. Just great.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »

Just read that post on the top-down view for PC.  WTF Bioware?!
Kyle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »

Fuck that.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »

Seriously, I don't want to be one of these people that starts in with the whole "Bioware has lost a customer" type crap, but they are pushing me here.  I'm going to wait until we actually see some in-game stuff, but this is starting to look rather bad for us PC gamers. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: