Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335245 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 69870 times)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2010, 10:40:54 PM »

Ahem.  Electronics Arts does not care about PC gaming.  I'm sure they'd be happy to throw in Top-Down View for like 5$ as DLC.  Is that cool?

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »

So Mike Laidlaw did show up on the forums, check the last post. Overhead view isn't completely ruled out on the PC, but will instead be "modified". It's also funny how he mentions Bioware is looking for ways to make the current toolset compatible with DA2 when it can't even work with Awakening.
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »

Please let it be there in SOME FORM. Please.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »

Sounds to me like this game is not nearly as far along in development as we have been lead to believe.  Seriously, all of this talk about multiple narrators and "different" types of gameplay stinks like when Kojima was talking about different sides of the battlefield for Metal Gear Solid 4 or Peter M was talking about seeds growing into trees for the original Fable.  We really don't know anything about the game, and it is due out in March of 2011?  I will be (pleasantly) surprised if DA2 makes that ship date. 
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 06:02:51 AM »

Well, by the sounds of things at least we're not stuck with the camera being tethered to the selected character. That to me is more important than the camera height or angle.

While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »

Bioware has straight up said their audience is on consoles. :
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »

So the "Destiny" CG trailer is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6vW9xqwkI

Wanted to see gameplay instead of pretty CG, but at least the music is good. Reminds me of DAO's Sacred Ashes trailer which looked nothing like the game. :P
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »

New CGI trailer was cool, hopefully we won't need to wait too long to see some gameplay. Also, you PC guys cry too much about everything. It's like as soon as a game comes out for consoles too, you guys try to find any and all reasons to bash it, and then go on and buy the game anyways. I for one, would never in a life time make such a big deal about something as simple as a camera, when there are far more important things to worry about. If the game ends up like ME as far as story-telling/dialog is concerned, well, that's already a huge improvement from DAO. Also, main character having a voice>picking all races, if I have to choose.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

Also, you PC guys cry too much about everything.

And you're too dismissive and condescending whenever someone has a complaint. There are a lot of people blowing it out of proportion, I don't doubt this, but things like the overhead camera DID provide a significant tactical advantage, being far more useful then I expected I'd find it. I typically zoomed right back behind the shoulders once battles were concluded anyway.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »

Sorry, VK, but I couldn't disagree with you more.  While I see where you are coming from and would agree that PC (or console, or handheld, whatever) gamers are always looking for things to complain about, this is something totally legitimate IMO.  The camera in the PC version of DA (along with the extended hotbar and inventory system) made the game a completely different experience when compared to the console versions.  I'm very open minded when it comes to the changes Bioware is making to the franchise, but I am a little worried about such radical changes for the PC version.  Read any review for the game, and the consensus points to the PC version being far superior to the console versions because of features like the camera control. 
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:03 AM »

While I can understand the hotbars/inventory, camera.....not so much. If the game is designed from the ground up to play a certain way, on all of it's platforms, just tacking on a camera just to please some people, won't really make the game better, it'll just satisfy the people that complain. If the game is being made with a more ME like camera from the get go, I'd wager that's going to be the best way to play DA2.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:55:39 AM by ValendianKnight » Logged

-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »

That is a good point, VK.  DA2 is already looking to be a very different game from the original.  If the combat scenarios are designed around the new camera system then there shouldn't be a problem.

I think PC gamers (myself included) are upset because we were so happy with the original DA, and now they are changing some of the things that we loved most about it (not just the camera, but the origin stories and adding a voiced main character).  You also have to keep in mind that we have seen damn near nothing of this game to make us feel better about the changes.  Instead we are left with lots of questions, so of course we're a little worried about what is happening with the game.  I have seen some pretty outrageous claims online that are certainly out of line, and I'm surprised we haven't seen a petition on the damn game yet.  That said, as a fan of the original and a PC gamer, I'm looking forward to seeing what the changes will do to make DA2 different from the original.  I would like to see some actual gameplay at this point to assuage some of my worries, however. 
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

I understand why PC gamers would be worried of course. If it's not the same DAO they know and love, why call it DA2 right? Well, the way I see it, BioWare gave me my money's worth with the original, so I'd wager they would only improve on what they had before, even if some of the new and exciting additions they add, may mean the loss of previous features. It's all about weighting in on the changes, to see if they are worth it. Now, I agree with have seen next to nothing about the game, so it's more understandable that people will be worried. I probably sound bitter with my responses, but that's just because the more time I spend on the internet, the more I notice how pointlessly bitchy some people are about these things.

Now, I will say I will be just as furious as the next guy, if these "changes" dumb the game down in any way, or make it more "streamlined" in a cheap way. Those types of changes are rarely good. But for now, I see no reason to think that's the direction BioWare is going for.

-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »

I have little doubt it'll be a great game, but it IS dismaying that they were priming this up as a more PC centric title, especially with the console ports more or less confirmed to be EA's choice, and now it's seemingly going for a more console-styled game rather then seeing how better to adapt itself for consoles this time around without compromising the PC end of things. But yeah, we're just going to have to wait and see here. Wouldn't be the first time a sequel does a lot of things I wish weren't done but still remains a complete blast to play.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »

I probably sound bitter with my responses, but that's just because the more time I spend on the internet, the more I notice how pointlessly bitchy some people are about these things.

Heh, you should see the official forums. The sheer amount of whining, cynicism, jumping to conclusions and picking every single detail apart is absolutely infuriating. But I still trawl through it all, since you learn a lot more about the game from developer posts than previews.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: