Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 01:10:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337995 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 70606 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »

Also: regardless of the end result this is infinitely preferable to Dark Alliance when it comes to providing a console version of the experience. The games are liked enough, but what I wanted were the RPGs people raved about for PC, not some Diablo clone in the same setting but otherwise unrelated.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »

People will always complain VK, gamers in general are the worst case. DA2 is most likely going to be what ME2 was to ME1. A vast improvement in their engine with streamlined and more accessible combat. Honestly, there is too much fuss over small details about the game. The fact alone that your male and female character will have a voice like ME or Witcher is something that will be amazing, especially coming from Bioware.

It's fine to throw around ideas or guesses on how the combat or camera is going to be, but for people to get mad over something that has yet to be seen and is being worked on is mind blowing. And bashing DA2 for not being able to pick races...that's just lawls. I'm sure there is a reason for that, like Bioware not wanting to hire multiple voice actors or maybe they want to deliver a more focused experience OR maybe another race just wouldn't fit in their overall story.!?!?!/

Anyway, that's just my view on things. Stop complaining until more information/footage is revealed.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »

Not sure how DA 2 is going to turn out.Kinda worried at the moment.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

I had some hands-on time with DA2 at PAX and I came away pretty impressed.  I will say, though, that there is a definite console focus this time around.  In fact, it was playable on both PS3s and 360s but wasn't even shown on the PC.  If you've played a console version of the original then the combat should be pretty familiar, actually.  You can still pause the action and assign commands with the radial menu.  The biggest difference is just the pace of the combat.  In the first game if you pressed the attack button you first wander up to the selected enemy, do your attack animation (which was usually pretty slow), and then damage was recorded.  The big difference in this game is that the response to button presses is much faster, and furthermore repeatedly pressing it results in combos with varied attack animations.  So there is a little bit of the action game aspect to it,  but not in an intrusive way.  The faster pace and instant response to button presses seems well-suited to playing with a controller, but I'm not entirely sure how well it will work on the PC.

Oh, and the graphics and framerate are both significantly improved compared to the console versions of DA:O.

The framed narrative approach to the story is interesting and I think potentially a good thing, but I didn't spend enough time with the game to really see how it will all work.  The claim is that this way they can tell a more involved story that spans 10 years of time by jumping just to the interesting and important events, which I suppose is true but I'm a little afraid that this will mean sacrificing exploration and side quests aspects that I actually do enjoy.  Anyway, I am by no means sure of that.  We'll have to wait and see.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »

The faster pace and instant response to button presses seems well-suited to playing with a controller, but I'm not entirely sure how well it will work on the PC.

The difference is that on the PC there's still an auto-attack like in DAO, you don't need to press attack repeatedly.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »

I had some hands-on time with DA2 at PAX and I came away pretty impressed.  I will say, though, that there is a definite console focus this time around.  In fact, it was playable on both PS3s and 360s but wasn't even shown on the PC. 

Thats likely only because consoles are easier to transport to conventions.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2010, 02:34:15 AM »

I had some hands-on time with DA2 at PAX and I came away pretty impressed.  I will say, though, that there is a definite console focus this time around.  In fact, it was playable on both PS3s and 360s but wasn't even shown on the PC. 

Thats likely only because consoles are easier to transport to conventions.

Tell that to all the people who brought their own computers for the big LAN party ;)

In all seriousness here, given the size of their booth, the things they were giving out, and the fact that they only had 20 stations set up (I had to wait in line for 2 hours to play it), I don't buy that argument for a second.  How much harder would it be to transport PCs?  Regardless of system they still had to bring the displays, audio equipment, figure out the power connections, etc.  And there are plenty of powerful computers out that aren't much bigger than a 360 or PS3.  It's not like other companies didn't show things off on PCs.

I really do think Bioware is pushing the console versions more this time around.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »

Their new management is no doubt behind this, especially with the announcement a handheld game is in the works.

Hopefully the "simplification" of DA2 reduces the number of bugs present. Just pop over to the official message boards to see how many issues still are outstanding with DA:O, console gamers being more affected due to lack of being able to mod the game.

Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »

Woot. Yet another game gets action-adventureified.

Give me some proper turn-based RPG and a room with four groups of 99 Berzerkers please.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »

Woot. Yet another game gets action-adventureified.

I don't feel like that's an accurate description and I played the damn thing.  It is faster paced, yes, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.  You can still pause and issue orders, switch between the characters in your party, etc.  For anyone who played the original on a console the controls were basically the same.  It's just when not paused things move and happen faster.  And that's a good thing as far as I am concerned.

And Dragon Age was never turn-based...it was, and still is, pause-and-play.

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

Console gameplay video: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/dragon-age-2-gameplay/350241
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »

Looks awesome. I'm happy they made the combat more action oriented. I have nothing against the old style of play, but you have to admit that console gamers don't want to sit there and pause. They want to press a button and fuck guys up. If they can deliver on a great story and good character development, then this game will appeal to a broader audience than Origins.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 01:49:03 AM »

New trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8mn1rVakZg

Yes, the new trailer confirms a new companion whos a familiar face.

http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage2/assets/gallery/wallpapers/wallpaper-06-isabela-1280x1024.jpg

Thats right, Isabela, the pirate queen duelist from the pearl is a possible companion and love interesting in DA 2. I kid you not, shes even sporting a revamped look befitting her new status.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2010, 02:34:26 AM »

Looks awesome. I'm happy they made the combat more action oriented. I have nothing against the old style of play, but you have to admit that console gamers don't want to sit there and pause. They want to press a button and fuck guys up. If they can deliver on a great story and good character development, then this game will appeal to a broader audience than Origins.

I'm in the minority I guess. For the bigger battles (like that big mother dragon in the urn of sacred ashes quest) I loved pausing and setting my tactics. Fighting wave after wave of darkspawn grunts was good for just hackin and wackin

I'll pick up the game either way, esp if they put in as much work to the world's history and lore. I fucking love that shit.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2010, 02:43:23 AM »

Oh, and companions are going to have several personal quests so they should have a lot more character development. Also, the approval systems will have friendship and rivalry paths. The rivalry path will allow you to disagree and argue with a companion with the possibility of slightly changing their alignment to be more like yours.

The example give in the forum was if this system was in DA origins you might have been able to convince Morrigan that helping people was just a form of manipulation to gain an advantage out of them latter. This would result in her no longer complaining whenever you did a good deed.

HOW AWESOME DOES THAT SOUND?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:48:19 AM by bigdeath » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: