Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:10:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327949 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 66862 times)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »

So I played the PC demo. Some impressions:

- Went as a female mage and it was like Arcane Warrior on steroids. The faster animations are a welcome change but that's it.
- Combat felt shallow, I just kept auto attacking and spamming fireball or whatever it was called and enemies exploded a la Walking Bomb. No strategy needed.
- Got some weird loading messages during cutscenes.
- New darkspawn design is hideous.
- UI is cumbersome. At times I selected a new character to control and the level up screen would open instead. Almost didn't notice those little blocks near the bottom right of the screen where you can check character stats, inventory, etc.

I know it's just a small part of the game and the difficulty was set on Normal, but the demo sure didn't leave a good impression. Think I'm gonna pass this one and maybe get it later during a sale.

I'm a hater. :(
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2011, 08:07:03 PM »

Finished the demo on the 360.  Sorry Bioware, but I'm not liking the changes to the combat system.  I miss the old system already.  All I'm doing with my rogue now is mashing the shit out of the A button to fight and occasionally hitting other buttons to activate special moves while trying to control what is for all intents and purposes, a very clunky action RPG.  Mass Effect 2 was a step in the right direction as far as streamlining a game goes, but Dragon Age 2 feels the opposite.

The only positive I got from the demo was that that they ditched the "neutral" option and made it a "say something witty" option in between the "good guy" and "bad guy" choices, which is a better third option since the "neutral" option was more often than not the "good guy" option that didn't make your "good points" go up in previous Bioware titles.

Oh and, seconded on the new Darkspawn designs.  They've taken a huge step backwards.  I don't know what the hell they were thinking.  I am contemplating cancelling my preorder.  The demo did not leave a positive impression at all.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »

Played the demo on 360.

-Its very clunky and the combat style reminds me of what happens when action elements ruin RPG gaming.

-Graphics and art style are hideous.Everything from character faces to darkspawn to environments come off ugly.I will get accustomed over time but right now one word defines it : bleugh!

-Hawke has a terrible male voice,decent female voice.Didn't feel like Shepard type "epicness",felt more like Michael Thorton cheesiness :P

-The Leveling Up is also off course.Instead of efficiency or cleanliness,bioware decides to go for gaudy and complicated

-Flemeth is back which I like.She will betray you obviously and is the greatest threat to Thedas apart from darkspawn but I love her cold calculated personality and her unparalleled magical powers.

-Curious about the story.Hawke isn't a Warden yet fights the Darkspawn so effectively.The demo left me hungry for more information

Overall it blows

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »

Oh yeah, and the writing is subpar.  I realize this is just a demo, but seriously.  In the opening segment, the templar bitch is all "RARRRRRRGH THAT ISN'T WHAT HAPPENED" because it was apparently such an unbelievable story, so dwarf dude who is really just a short fat human adds a few of Hawke's family members to the events and suddenly the story is believable.  lolwut

I'm like... hovering over the cancel button on Amazon right now.  Seriously, what the fuck.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »

Oh yeah, and the writing is subpar.  I realize this is just a demo, but seriously.  In the opening segment, the templar bitch is all "RARRRRRRGH THAT ISN'T WHAT HAPPENED" because it was apparently such an unbelievable story, so dwarf dude who is really just a short fat human adds a few of Hawke's family members to the events and suddenly the story is believable.  lolwut

I'm like... hovering over the cancel button on Amazon right now.  Seriously, what the fuck.

I laughed at that conversation.Lets be honest Dragon Age is super nerdy but that conversation just dragged it to a new low.I didn't mind the cheesy conversations in Origins too much but God help us if bioware has more of these horrible ideas for Dragon Age 2.

I'm waiting for reviews to see what they think.The game is clearly a 6 or 7 so far and if reviews agree,I am cancelling ASAP and heading for The Witcher 2 instead.I simply don't have the time for mediocre RPGs(see Venetica)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »

I posted my thoughts elsewhere, so I'll quote them below. To sum up: there is no reason to disable auto attack, but on the PC side of things the game still plays pretty well.

Quote from: Eusis
I think making auto attack a toggle is rather pointless, and disabling it for the console demos outright asinine. It's a gesture to placate people who have to KEEP MASHING BUTTONS without taking into consideration that it's pointless without more robust controls as you'd have in a more action-driven game. It left a bad impression on me for playing as a warrior on the Xbox, but playing as a mage on the PC left a MUCH more favorable impression. Definitely wish they didn't remove the ability to fully zoom out to an overhead view however, as it made aiming spells a bit more of a pain than it could've been and worked great in the first place.

Anyways, going to sit on this. I was about ready to cancel based off the console demo, but the PC demo... well, I'll see if I can complete DA1 in time.

Oh, and it was kind of glitchy I think in that potions wouldn't work on PC when I tried to use them OR they failed to show the cooldown (or put it somewhere weird other than the icon itself), and I swear when I tried to use some abilities they simply wouldn't work.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »

I'm getting worried here =/
Installing right now.

... and anyone else think some troll organization will try and bust Bioware's bandwidth for their "We want one MILLION downloads!"
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »

Loading up a warrior character to see if this game can be salvaged in any form.  Also going to double-check for a block command, because I don't think there is one... which is pretty lulzy for something aiming to be an action game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »

Loading up a warrior character to see if this game can be salvaged in any form.  Also going to double-check for a block command, because I don't think there is one... which is pretty lulzy for something aiming to be an action game.

I tend to favor straight up dodging in action games, but either way there doesn't seem to be any sort of defensive techniques other than the standard battle skills you'd get in any other RPG like Dragon Age: Origins. Either way, like said it makes the auto attack toggle pointless, it's only placating people who absolutely must mash a button to attack and can't stand playing a game where they don't feel like they're in direct control.

For whatever it's worth however I've read you can enable auto-attack in the full game. They disabled some really stupid shit for the demo.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »

The combat is just completely not fun.  The art design is repulsive.  The writing annoys me.  Pre-order cancelled.  This is Bioware's Final Fantasy XIII.

And...... I'm out.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

Guess I'll wade in here with my PS3 impressions.

I actually really like the new art-style, though I do think the opening area is kind of bland.  The characters look better, and they certainly pop a little more out of the screen.

As for the combat on the console, this is a bit tricky for me.  I'm really just mashing buttons, which is kind of boring and repetitive.  That said, I really have to see what the game plays like on PC.  I can see the combat remaining very close to DA:O based off the PC interface, so I doubt I'll see any grand changes that detrimentally affect the game. 

Overall, the demo just confirmed to me that I'll be buying DA2 on the PC.  Just seems like the proper place to play the game despite the changes to make it more console friendly.  I can see the potential depth, but I need a mouse and keyboard to enjoy it.

Also, we'll be having a short episode of the podcast this week to talk about our impressions of the demo.  Look forward to it!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »

Hmm.. sounds like 60 bucks that was going to go towards this will instead go to upgrading some part of my computer.  I am kinda thinking Bioware spent a bit too much time/resources on TOR and this game was the casualty.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »

Just finished the demo with a rogue on the PC.

Rogue
- New interesting abilities
- Some abilities are not friendly. Ex: one ability that increases critical % with each attack performed (max 10). Another can be linked and its damage depends on how many stacks of the first ability you've accumulated. How many stacks do you have? Nobody knows, nothing tells you.

Combat
- Controls are fine overall.
- Playing with hotkeys is a must.
- If you start an attack pattern, you are stuck there until it ends.
- It seems you can't target an enemy for an AoE, you have to select the zone. If the enemy moves, too bad. (might be wrong here)

Social
- Camera change, surprise combat and loading times make conversations clunky.
- Retard proof social choices with icons telling you exactly what will happen if you say something.

Camera:
- Can't zoom out enough to see the entire battlefield.
- Always centered on a character, no free camera.

Graphics:
- Character models + equipment are really wonky. (floating swords...)
- First area of the demo is very plain, not even a valid background.
- The new darkspawns make me think He Man will jump through the screen yelling I HAVE THE POWER!

Interface:
- GOD AWFUL INTERFACE
- Clicking the level up icon on a character brings you to the menu to level it up, but when in the menu, if switching characters and pressing the level up portion of the portrait, it closes the menu (WTF?)
- The tactics interface is a bitch, if you click anywhere else other than the tiny "I validate this" area when selecting something, it CANCELS THE WHOLE THING.
- So many menus with submenus that have subsubmenus... FFIV all over again.

Story
- Very few said, most of it makes no sense
- Very large plot holes against DA:O
- Lesbians again

Verdict
Yet another "Console version killed the game"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:59:40 PM by Annubis » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2011, 11:08:52 PM »

*sigh*

I was really looking forward to this.  Really.  This is extremely disappointing news.  I wasn't going to download the demo because I thought it would be pointless since I knew I would like the game.  I'm now downloading the demo.

It's fucking Fable 3 all over again.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:38 PM »

Played the demo as a mage and had a lot more fun.  I agree that turning off the auto attack option was idiotic, as the game would be almost exactly like Origins if I didn't have to spam the X-button all the time. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: