Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329468 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 67364 times)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:54 AM »

I'm really not liking the PC demo, but I'll reserve judgment on the console versions to see if the Mass Effect stylings of the game plays better on the big screen.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:13 AM »

Yeah, the demo didn't do much for me, either.  It felt like it was trying too hard in pretty much every department.  Some of the changes are for the better, but I feel a majority shown in the demo were for the worse.

I don't like to judge games until I play the full version, though, and I've been pushed away by demos before when the full game turned out to be excellent (Valkyria Chronicles).
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2011, 02:09:23 AM »

After playing for a bit the thrill of playing a new DA game wore off...

I don't like the button mashing...i honestly didn't listen to most of the dialog, i was listening to something else.

I think I'm going to keep my pre-order.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2011, 02:42:54 AM »

I don't get the hate over the new artstyle. Darkspawn look different but more menacing, IMO. The human characters in Origins were FUGLY. They all looked malnourished or anorexic with a few exemptions.

Didn't find the combat too repulsive but I'm rather easily satisfied in that area, anyway, and the fact that even I was annoyed by the gameplay is telling, I suppose.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2011, 02:49:58 AM »

I don't get the hate over the new artstyle. Darkspawn look different but more menacing, IMO. The human characters in Origins were FUGLY. They all looked malnourished or anorexic with a few exemptions.

I agree. The new character models don't look a world better and don't approach mass effect, etc but they are nicer than DA1.

I always thought that too about the DA characters with their hollow cheeks.

On the whole I like the look of DA2, so far.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:52 AM »

The human characters in Origins were FUGLY. They all looked malnourished or anorexic with a few exemptions.

Well, their bosoms certainly aren't this time around.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:36 AM »

Well I was gonna make this reply a lot more aggressive but to me it seems like most of the replies are "OMG WE DONT LIKE CHANGE THIS GAME SUXXORZ!"  And yes you can argue change should be for the better, but in pretty much every instance I believe it at the very least no less "good" than the original.  I do agree with the odd choice of making dialogue "retard prood" as it was put, though ME series and DAO had plenty of pretty obvious choices, so maybe the game will still surprise us, and I never felt I didn't have an option to choose from.  And yes the option not to toggle auto attack was strange, but then again this demo is targeted more towards people who did not play the original IMO, while also showcasing the sometimes optional changes that come with it.  I think the new art style is fine, and doesn't seem to far removed from the original DOA, and obviously looks much better, if not ME2 levels.  Load times were a bit dissapointing on the PS3, but its a demo, so either the full release will be better, or will be the same and get patched, and thats fine with me, though I do understand that type of thing can be construed as "I SHOULDNT HAVE TO PAY TO BE A OMFG BETA TESTER QQ"

I also laugh at the "console ruined it" crap, since I think thats an asinine statement.  Any developer in their right minds should keep all consoles in mind if they want to make a good profit and get their product to the most people, and I think Bioware did a fine job at it from the time ive spent with the demo.  Yeah its different from DAO, but again for the most part I think its an improvement.

Now it is indeed still possible the game could release and be a complete turd, but I HIGHLY doubt it.  Bioware has yet to let me down in any of their games, so I have no reason to think they will with this one.  As for the "This is biowares FFXIII" statement.  Couldnt that also be "This is biowares FFXII or this is Biowares FFX-2?"  Pretty sure there was alot of the same crap for those games as well.

So while I do understand some of the complaints, I just dont think alot of it justifies not picking it up at some point, or this dreadful fear you people are trying to convey about it.

Also how can you yell plot holes when we have only seen a snippet?  I guess id like to know what your trying to point out?  I do agree it was interesting to see Flemeth in a different style, but I think thats acceptable consider they did go with a slightly different artstyle and probably wanted to update her since it was now possible?  Otherwise I just don't see what you mean?  Really I disagree with alot of what Annubis said, but for some reason to me I read "PC Fanboy" when I go through it.

*shrug* I still plan on keeping my pre order and look forward to it immensely.  For those of you who cant for whatever reason (most of which so far strike me as absurd), sucks for you I guess *shrug*

And lol Eus..never can understand the complaint about tits or as its known in some circles "fanservice" .  I don't see a big issue with it.  Maybe its nerds having fun, maybe they feel or maybe some crazy survey/test showed bewbs sell more, but its not like this is anime proportions.  Granted im not a big chest fan, I prefer medium sized, but im not gonna let it bug me either :p

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »

Really I disagree with alot of what Annubis said, but for some reason to me I read "PC Fanboy" when I go through it.

Escape -> Character -> Abilities -> Select ability tree (dual weapon, archery, etc.) -> Learn ability

Sorry, but this was made for people with no mouse & keyboard. Prove me otherwise.
This was made so much for consoles that you can't even hotkey submenus (or subsubmenus), only menus (which are probably buttons on the controller)
I'm not saying the game is terrible... just that 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.

Yes, my point of view is from the PC, but that's because I'm just used to playing Bioware on the PC. Problem is they are going backward in functionality (Click on the minimap to move somewhere? oh, we can't have that anymore! Move your butt with the WASD keys there buddy!)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:00:34 AM by Annubis » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »

Sorry, but this was made for people with no mouse & keyboard. Prove me otherwise.
The onus is on you to prove that this game was dumbed down for consoles, since you made the claim.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »

Really I disagree with alot of what Annubis said, but for some reason to me I read "PC Fanboy" when I go through it.

Escape -> Character -> Abilities -> Select ability tree (dual weapon, archery, etc.) -> Learn ability

This was made so much for consoles that you can't even hotkey submenus (or subsubmenus), only menus (which are probably buttons on the controller)
I'm not saying the game is terrible... just that 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.

This is wrong. Once you get past the exaggerated sequence you can enter the submenus using the same keys as DAO, and they can be remapped on the options screen.

The default is:
C=character
M=map
J=journal
P=abilites
I=inventory
#=tactics (or / on a US keyboard)

Yes, my point of view is from the PC, but that's because I'm just used to playing Bioware on the PC. Problem is they are going backward in functionality (Click on the minimap to move somewhere? oh, we can't have that anymore! Move your butt with the WASD keys there buddy!)

It hasn't been possible to move via the minimap in a Bioware game for a decade (Throne of Bhaal was the last). You can still move by right-click or holding both mouse buttons at the same time, just as in DAO.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:09:37 AM by DPB » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »

Sometimes pictures say a lot.

Meeting an ogre for the first time in Dragon Age: Origins

Meeting an ogre for the first time in Dragon Age 2

Seriously Bioware, what happened?  On a technical level, it's clear which is better... but overall presentation, I'll take Origins' darker atmosphere and lighting any day of the week.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »

Isn't the one from DA1 part of a cutscene?

Also, this was a demo. Sure a demo should put it's best foot forward and wow people, but it's not going to have all the flair of the final game
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

Also, this was a demo. Sure a demo should put it's best foot forward and wow people, but it's not going to have all the flair of the final game

Is it Bioware that hates my computer or is the demo also limited to either "low" or "normal" level for graphics?
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

HERP DERP they're both from an in-game rendered cutscene.

Sorry, but you can't fix poor art direction.

aaaaaaaah after ten thousand years im free

its time to conquer ferelden
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

Is it Bioware that hates my computer or is the demo also limited to either "low" or "normal" level for graphics?

High is for DirectX10/11 systems only (Vista/7), very high is restricted to cards that have DirectX11 support, and is only included in the full game. You have to change the renderer to DirectX11 first to be able to select either, though Bioware recommends against it, since it has performance issues that have since been fixed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:17:15 PM by DPB » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: