Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 11:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338370 Posts in 13852 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 70802 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »

Isn't the one from DA1 part of a cutscene?

HERP DERP

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »

Is it Bioware that hates my computer or is the demo also limited to either "low" or "normal" level for graphics?

High is for DirectX10/11 systems only (Vista/7), very high is restricted to cards that have DirectX11 support, and is only included in the full game. You have to change the renderer to DirectX11 first to be able to select either, though Bioware recommends against it, since it has performance issues that have since been fixed.

Well... that's a semi-good reason to consider getting rid of XP for 7.
Worst is my video card is DirectX11 compatible... not my OS though.

EDIT:
Guess I'm not alone in finding the camera too dynamic and not practical.

You can't zoom out far enough to see what is shooting you from off screen. It felt like I could see 10-15 feet around me. You can pan the camera left and right but not up and down so that doesn't really help.

hope that the final game will have the option to zoom out further, mimicing the tactical camera on PC in DAO, and that we may map middle mouse button to tilt camera view.

The camera. I found myself fighting the bloody camera throughout the whole thing and it really killed a lot of the fun for me.

The camera during backstab is really awfull which is a shame as it's a great move.

The camera. It's horrible. I want to zoom out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:17:40 PM by Annubis » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »

I had no intention of downloading the demo, but after all the hubbub, I just might. While I enjoyed the first one well enough, I just can't get interested in part 2.
I played the first game as much like an action/rpg as possible. Spent plenty of time setting up gambits(or whatever they were called) for my characters, but rarely, if ever, strategized during combat. Mostly just mashed buttons.
If part 2 plays similar then I won't have a problem with it. I was just hoping that they would add some friggin' color to the graphics. Too much damn brown.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »

And lol Eus..never can understand the complaint about tits or as its known in some circles "fanservice" .  I don't see a big issue with it.  Maybe its nerds having fun, maybe they feel or maybe some crazy survey/test showed bewbs sell more, but its not like this is anime proportions.  Granted im not a big chest fan, I prefer medium sized, but im not gonna let it bug me either :p

I was just making a joke, but if you want to actually go down this path... Do you seriously not see an effect from that on a game's tone? This kind of fanservice is fine, essential actually, for games like the Duke Nukem series that are unapologetically crass, exaggerated homages to 80s/90s action movies, and similarly something like Bayonetta's meant to be this ridiculous, over the top thing where the sexuality may well be more of a joke than actual pandering. Contrast those with Dragon Age 2, which is meant to be a dark, mature fantasy that only comes off as adolescent by focusing more on ramping up the gore and sexuality (even Flemeth what in the fuck). It's worse since, while these were in DA1, it wasn't quite as bad/ridiculous and in the most blatant case (Morrigan) can be said to help define her character anyway.

I get a sort of vibe from this game that, finally, the fears of EA contaminating Bioware are no longer fully (or at least largely) misplaced. I'm sure the game will still be pretty good, great even, but it has more of an EA feel than a classic Bioware feel, which DA:O still shined with in spite of the marketing painting a different image. Actually, EA's marketing as of the last several years has been very exasperating, it almost feels like they're compensating for being a "family friendly" publisher for over 10 years.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:02:30 PM by Eusis » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »

I actually talked with a couple other editors about this, and I definitely see a difference in tone between the original game and DA2.  Hearing a character yell "bitch" and another say "tits" is just a little odd given the original game's tone and delivery.  I don't have any problem with these words being thrown around in a game, but their inclusion feels a little forced.  It sort of reminds me of the "hardcore" edge brought to the Prince of Persia series with Warrior Within, though it certainly doesn't seem as severe. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »

The 'bullshit' in the beginning stuck out, too. They're trying to sell it to dudebros.

Still a pretty good demo though. I'm actually interested in the series now.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »

It sort of reminds me of the "hardcore" edge brought to the Prince of Persia series with Warrior Within, though it certainly doesn't seem as severe.  

Yeah, Bioware's definitely staffed by staff competent enough to avoid getting too bad there, and EA themselves must've realized trying TOO hard really would alienate the core audience. There's still enough though that it bugs me, I'm just hoping the demo highlighted some of the worst of it but the game on a whole is much more mild.

And admittedly for my last post it's a point I argued strongly against more because I REALLY disagreed with Serene's stance on it not mattering at all; I wasn't too bugged by that alone, especially since everything I've seen for female Hawke was tasteful enough while Flemeth's garb could be partially excused as her battle outfit, which she didn't exactly need during her appearances in DA:O...
Code:
... and the one time it would've mattered she wasn't prepared in advance for anyway.

Doesn't really explain the longer hair though, I'll just assume magic or something.

Edit: I really need to see about getting proper spoiler tags implanted.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:45:12 PM by Eusis » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »

The 'bullshit' in the beginning stuck out, too. They're trying to sell it to dudebros.

Still a pretty good demo though. I'm actually interested in the series now.

Yeah I sort of agree there.  It seems like the button mashing and the complete lack of control of the inventory might be a way to try to sell it as something different than what it really is (hopefully).  That being said, I just finished the demo and I don't want to cancel my preorder at the moment (I used a $15 dollar credit that will probably go unused otherwise).

Didn't really find any likable characters, but Hawke might be alright in the long run. Didn't like the character or darkspawn designs with the exception of, again, Hawke.  Tried warrior and the mage a little bit.  Warrior is what I thought it would be: similar to DA:O but with more action-oriented abilities.  I like that.  Still has that stiff feel to it, but that's not something that bothers me. The game will absolutely benefit from auto-attack and I'll definitely be playing with it on (though 2H Warrior wasn't too bad without it).  The simplified talent trees don't bother me.  I wasn't crazy about the talent trees in DA:O but IMO this a little bit better.  Overall enjoyed the feel of combat, albeit still a bit stiff like the original.  Definitely going to keep the preorder, but my overall excitement about the game has definitely lowered.  I definitely get people's cautiousness with this, but I usually try to look at the positives of a game more than the negatives.  YMMV
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:03:05 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »

I'm just afraid this will be Mass Effect 2 instead of Baldur's Gate 2 =/
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »

You make a good point Eusis, guess I didn't look at it that way.

Annubis

I see what you mean man, and I forgot that they tried to portray DAO as being the spiritual succesor to BG, so when I think of it in that light, with the changes they have made to DA2 your views make a bit more sense.  I guess to me, I loved BG series, but that was the BG series, a different era I guess, so Im ok with it.

Parn

So because you don't like the art style its poor art direction?  I think that is going a bit to far there man.  You haven't even seen the rest of the game, and even so I still disagree.  And again, due to the change in artstyle, I don't see why its so insane that they may change a few of the characters looks.  Maybe they were not able to convey Flemeth the way they wanted to in DAO.  Or as was said maybe it is simply her battle gear form.  I would honestly expect a being of her power to be a bit more..like DA2.  I mean she isn't some good fairy godmother, shes a powerful dragon.  I also understand the strangeness of her being sexy, but if you were an arguably immortal woman..would you not be able to twist men with feminine wiles more easily in a sexy manner instead of old grandma?  I dunno if I am conveying what I am trying to say well or not.

Also I did not in the slightest notice any issues with the swearing feeling out of place..maybe Im accustomed to it to much these days.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

So because you don't like the art style its poor art direction?  I think that is going a bit to far there man.

That's a fair point... I guess it's more appropriate to say that I don't like the direction the game's art assets have taken, at all.  As far as Flemeth goes, I can understand why her appearance isn't the same as before since

Code:
it makes sense that she wants to appear a "badass" to Hawke while she presents herself as a harmless old
woman around the Warden and Morrigan due to the nature of her pursuits in these respective situations,

yet I can't get over her looking like Rita Repulsa.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »

I can see Parn's point about the Ogre, but that's one out of many. Other Darkspawn just seem more vicious and menacing to me.

Also, Flemeth looks less like Rita and more like Divatox. Yeah, I went there. Still, I like the human designs here way more than those of Origins.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »

I like the demo fine but then again, I'm strictly a console gamer.  I can understand why the PC crowd might be pissed because it's not like the first game combat-wise.  It basically does seem to be the "Mass Effect 2" sequel but I assumed that was a given months ago so I can't understand why people are this surprised.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »

I don't know how many of us were fully surprised, but there is the reaction to how it was actually execute. That's why I was criticizing the removal of auto attack, it's more to placate people who want to play it like an action game and so gives them the illusion they're more active than before, when really they just shoehorned in monotonous button mashing the auto attack avoided as a matter of practicality.

Also, frankly, even if my PC were unable to run the game I'd rather they took the approach of PCs first, consoles second. I want the console version because the PC game sounds neato and I just don't have a PC good enough to run it, make it work as well as Knights of the Old Republic and I'm content! I don't need it to try to pander to me, or worse pander to what they THINK I want as a (now just hypothetical) console-only player.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »

I just finished playing the demo on PS3 and PC. You auto-attack by right clicking on enemies. On consoles, this isn't as much of an issue because it gives you the illusion that you're playing an action RPG. On PC, the reduced number of skills basically means you're watching most of the fight. It's a lot like KOTOR, honestly. It's enjoyable, but I if we're gonna bitch at FFXIII for having linear paths through areas, I'd better hear bitching at this game for the same, unless it opens up later. It's virtually identical.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: